1 2 3
Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
9/15/22 11:43 p.m.
NickD said:

Grid at a National level can be kind of unpleasant. I remember getting literally screamed at by Kathy Barnes as the reason she was dead last in her class, because I was "rushing" her and her co-driver between runs (they were getting their minimum mandated 5 minutes but that apparently wasn't enough). A few other drivers got kind of nasty with me as well because they wanted more time between runs as well, but we technically weren't shortchanging them, since they were all getting the guaranteed 5 minutes.

This is so not acceptable and she owes you an apology. 

te72
te72 HalfDork
9/16/22 1:32 a.m.

You know, I've done a bit of everything over the past five or so seasons, and as long as the people I'm working with aren't horribly grumpy or just generally unpleasant people (fortunately seem to be far less of those than people you wanna spend time with), then I'm happy to work anywhere for the event.

This most recent event for me, I worked tech, and had to call a kid over to explain why he had boxes of dishes (literally) in his trunk. Was pretty comical. Would have made some err... interesting... noises, I'm sure. =P

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/16/22 11:34 a.m.
te72 said:

You know, I've done a bit of everything over the past five or so seasons, and as long as the people I'm working with aren't horribly grumpy or just generally unpleasant people (fortunately seem to be far less of those than people you wanna spend time with), then I'm happy to work anywhere for the event.

This most recent event for me, I worked tech, and had to call a kid over to explain why he had boxes of dishes (literally) in his trunk. Was pretty comical. Would have made some err... interesting... noises, I'm sure. =P

I want to say no way on the dishes but, on the other hand, not too surprised. Yes, get everything out of the car....

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/16/22 12:01 p.m.
Daylan C. said:

I've always run cones at the few events I've been too but have wondered if I'm qualified to ask to work grid now after working with Gridlife. Surely autocross grid can't be as bad as trying to grid up 50 GLTC cars in a ~25 car space at Mid Ohio.

We always try to cross-train our regulars as much as possible, and vary the experiences.  You should definitely ask.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
9/16/22 4:02 p.m.

I think I've worked everything at least once now.

Got qualified Safety Steward because we were always on the verge of not enough, just recently they started comping event $ for SSS so free racing!

I worked grid last weekend, it's not bad.  I get to see half or 1/3 (depending on run groups) of the cars/people.

Starter is sometimes fun, I get a good view of the course and how people are driving.

Glad we have enough people I don't have to chase cones anymore.

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
9/16/22 7:20 p.m.

I'm surprised at those who like being Starter - while I don't hate the assignment, I find it busy and stressful.

-bring car to line

-check helmet (inc. sticker) and seatbelt - verify event tech sticker.  

-check for passenger - (helmet, seatbelt, maybe warning about handheld camera or hands inside vehicle??)

-radio or scan for T&S

-check course for problems (cone carnage, courseworker out of place, etc.)

-launch car - rinse and repeat 100x+  I never have a moment of slack to see a car on course.

Years ago, I left the start line and completed 1/3 of the course with my helmet sitting in the passenger seat.  While that is absolutely my own damn fault, I've always wonder if the Starter might have caught it... hence my vigilance  in that role.

te72
te72 HalfDork
9/17/22 2:45 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
te72 said:

I want to say no way on the dishes but, on the other hand, not too surprised. Yes, get everything out of the car....

Right hand to God my friend, it blew my mind at first. "Are those... dishes? Seriously? Dishes. Who brings DISHES to an autocross? Are they planning on bringing us lunch? If so... I'll let it slide." was my thought process. =P

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/17/22 3:19 p.m.

...I like working course on rallycross, because I get to spectate and if the run order is favorable, I get to pre sight the course.  I usually take a station with a high or far vantage point for this reason.  It is weird going to regions where work is assigned instead of free for all.

Oddly enough all but one autocross I have done had designated corner workers, they wanted us to just drive and leave the work to the organizers.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TBoRd3BhDtnnXq5yZLmk0REWCfZVbvYMBQu7JbJKfFeYI6uGnMxA7ItzqdFJ94q0