MrLittle
MrLittle New Reader
5/6/16 6:32 a.m.

So some of you may have seen my FRS on my build thread.

It's lifted an inch all around with 16x7 +35 offset Sparco Terra's with General Grabber AT2 tires 215/65/r16. The stock wheels and tires are 17x7 +48 offset with 215/45/r17 tires.

I'm getting a little bit of rub (more than I'm comfortable with) on the front tires when about 1/4 away from full lock. I realize this is an offset issue and it's because I really like the Sparco Terra's and didn't pay attention when I ordered them.

Im trying to think of the best way to resolve this problem. I've had suggested I need a spacer. The Terra's are already stick out 13mm further than the stock wheels. I feel like if I get a spacer it will just make the tire hit sooner.

I've thought maybe I should just sell the wheels and buy wheels with the proper offset.

Maybe I should just buy different size tires.

Essentially I'm trying to figure out the most cost effective way to resolve this issue other than going back to the stock setup (which I have done for now).

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr SuperDork
5/6/16 6:47 a.m.

Cheap crappy spacers from the flaps are about $5 each. Put them on and try it.

Get good spacers if it works.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
5/6/16 7:07 a.m.

I don't think spacers will fix your issue. My solution to this sort of thing is to find what it's hitting and remove or reshape it- for example, if it's just rubbing the plastic liner, a heat gun might be able to take care of the problem in a few minutes.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
5/6/16 7:10 a.m.

You're right, a spacer will just make the contact issue worse. Trimming plastic or massaging things with a heat gun sounds like a good idea.

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
5/6/16 7:48 a.m.

If you can get it to rub at parking lot speeds with the suspension not compressed beyond ride height, drive around a lot until you find the point where it rubs. Stop the car, get out and look at what the tire is hitting. That'll give you a better idea of what it'll take to fix the rub.

MrLittle
MrLittle New Reader
5/6/16 7:57 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: I don't think spacers will fix your issue. My solution to this sort of thing is to find what it's hitting and remove or reshape it- for example, if it's just rubbing the plastic liner, a heat gun might be able to take care of the problem in a few minutes.

This was my first idea but right behind the plastic is metal. I'm afraid if I rub through plastic I'll hit it and ruin the tires. I should have included this in the original post.

Seems like I'm going to have to use my wallet more than I wanted to to solve the issue. Darn my quick impulse buying before checking all the details!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
5/6/16 8:00 a.m.

Then either it's hammertime or steering stop time. How much will losing that 1/4 turn hurt your turning radius?

84FSP
84FSP Dork
5/6/16 9:12 a.m.

Could also machine the inner hub face on the wheel to take 5-10mm off?

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
5/6/16 9:47 a.m.

Since the tires are 2.4 inches larger diameter AND the offset is different, I'd be checking carefully to see if it's the outer or inner edge of the tire making initial contact. If I were a betting man I'd say the tire is more at fault than the wheel offset, but that's just a guess.

MrLittle
MrLittle New Reader
5/6/16 9:51 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: Since the tires are 2.4 inches larger diameter AND the offset is different, I'd be checking carefully to see if it's the outer or inner edge of the tire making initial contact. If I were a betting man I'd say the tire is more at fault than the wheel offset, but that's just a guess.

Oh I agree it's the tire at fault. However, if I would have bought he correct offset I'm pretty certain I wouldn't be having the issue. I've talked to a gentleman with a similar set up with +40 offset and he said he doesn't get any rub.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/6/16 10:21 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: Since the tires are 2.4 inches larger diameter AND the offset is different, I'd be checking carefully to see if it's the outer or inner edge of the tire making initial contact. If I were a betting man I'd say the tire is more at fault than the wheel offset, but that's just a guess.

Definitely going to agree on tire.

I'm running 18x9.5 ET 38 with 255/35/18 Star Specs, lowered approx 1.5" and I don't rub anywhere.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
5/6/16 2:29 p.m.
MrLittle wrote: It's lifted an inch all around with 16x7 +35 offset Sparco Terra's with General Grabber AT2 tires 215/65/r16. The stock wheels and tires are 17x7 +48 offset with 215/45/r17 tires.

Running your numbers thru RimsNTires calculator shows that the inside is not a problem. The tires will stick out ~1/2 inch further which shouldn't be much of a problem. But the larger overall diameter may cause problems.

From that and the the fact that it only rubs when turned completely I would agree that the offset is not the problem. Probably the tire is hitting the wheel well liner at full lock.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
5/6/16 2:54 p.m.

This. That huge height is causing your issue more than any wheel,

revrico
revrico Reader
5/6/16 2:54 p.m.

In reply to Hal:

THANK YOU FOR THIS.. Seriously, that link has just answered so many questions for me that tire shop guys couldn't or that I didn't know how to word properly to ask.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
5/6/16 3:30 p.m.
revrico wrote: In reply to Hal: THANK YOU FOR THIS.. Seriously, that link has just answered so many questions for me that tire shop guys couldn't or that I didn't know how to word properly to ask.

Yep, That's the best "what if" tire and wheel calculator I have found.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
5/6/16 4:54 p.m.

What ever happened to rolling the fender ?

84FSP
84FSP Dork
5/6/16 6:52 p.m.

You could always chalk or white shoe polish the fender liner and look for the tell tale clean spot?

jodyb
jodyb
10/2/20 12:17 a.m.

Wanting to try this wheel with a 215/55/r16 (instead of thge 65 sidewall on your thread) but I cannot find them (the ET35) anywhere in the US. I can only find ET50 in the 16, white. I may order from Tegiwa in the UK and have them shipped to the US for $200. If you could tell me where you got these it may save me a heap of trouble!

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
10/2/20 3:42 a.m.
iceracer said:

Very often is a simple,  cheap,  solution.  Simple as in the car itself does most of the work.  Cheap as in a wooden dowel will cost you a few bucks at most.  
Don't be scared nothing bad will happen.  I've used a baseball bat because I had one lying around. It was free and it has various thicknesses from the handle to the body. and it's just about the right length. 
 Done carefully it will slightly ( as in almost imperceptibly ) move the fender out enough to not rub.  No, paint doesn't crack or your tire explode.  The world doesn't come to an end  or your dog suddenly dislike you. 

Take a wooden dowel  ( say1 inch ).allowing it to be trapped between the tire and the fender . Lay it flat along side the tire and carefully drive forward.  It will smoothly move the fender out and it will rebound some but you will gain a little more clearance.  If it's not enough use a thicker dowel  repeat on the other side. 
Done smoothly without stopping its amazing how far you can stretch a fender without it showing. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/2/20 8:01 a.m.
frenchyd said:
iceracer said:

Very often is a simple,  cheap,  solution.  Simple as in the car itself does most of the work.  Cheap as in a wooden dowel will cost you a few bucks at most.  
Don't be scared nothing bad will happen.  I've used a baseball bat because I had one lying around. It was free and it has various thicknesses from the handle to the body. and it's just about the right length. 
 Done carefully it will slightly ( as in almost imperceptibly ) move the fender out enough to not rub.  No, paint doesn't crack or your tire explode.  The world doesn't come to an end  or your dog suddenly dislike you. 

Take a wooden dowel  ( say1 inch ).allowing it to be trapped between the tire and the fender . Lay it flat along side the tire and carefully drive forward.  It will smoothly move the fender out and it will rebound some but you will gain a little more clearance.  If it's not enough use a thicker dowel  repeat on the other side. 
Done smoothly without stopping its amazing how far you can stretch a fender without it showing. 

Yes, it is very possible your paint will crack even if you do use a heat gun. Rolling the fenders on my NA Miata ended up with cracked paint at all 4 corners. And this was using the Eastwood roller, not using a dowel and moving the car with it. I didn't care about the cracked paint because it was a track car.

For the BRZ, rolling the fenders isn't necessary when you use a proper setup until you get WIDE tires. 

I ran 18x9.5 ET38 with 255/35 Star Specs on stock fenders. And with the correct offset you can stuff 18x10s with 265/35s under stock fenders. 

That's a lot of tire for a 2750 lb car with 200hp. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
10/2/20 8:41 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

You may be right, I've never rolled a base coat clear coat fender. Everything I've done that to is Lacquer. But I thought lacquer was more delicate?  
 Then too I never rolled fenders on cool or cold days either. But I have moved fenders a fair amount. 
The only time I actually damaged paint was if the inner lip needed to be flattened first.  Then I'd wrap the dolly in heavy leather and keep moving it around as I bent up the lip.   A careless blow would happen enough that retouching the paint was called for. 
I tried using a dead blow hammer as my dolly but all I did is crack the dead blow and it felt like the dead blow wasn't acting as a dolly would anyway.  Lesson learned. 
Regular upholstery leather  doesn't protect the paint and quickly splits. You need almost shoe leather  but soak it first  to get it soft and plyable  so you can shape it around the dolly and still grip the dolly. Using a spring clamp to hold it against the dolly let the leather dry out. Yes your dolly will get all rusty.  But just sand the rust off and then treat the dried leather with oil.  It'll be fine from then on. I don't know what they use on baseball gloves I just used motor oil. 

APEowner
APEowner Dork
10/2/20 8:57 a.m.

I don't think I'd want to move those tire out any further than they are and they're most likely rubbing on the inner fenders.  That leaves you three options.

1 Use different tires

2 Massage the inner fender so they no longer rub

3 Modify the steering stops so you can't turn the wheels far enough for the tires to rub

Personally, I'd start with #2 if it's possible and if not modify the steering stops.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/2/20 10:40 a.m.
APEowner said:

I don't think I'd want to move those tire out any further than they are and they're most likely rubbing on the inner fenders.  That leaves you three options.

1 Use different tires

2 Massage the inner fender so they no longer rub

3 Modify the steering stops so you can't turn the wheels far enough for the tires to rub

Personally, I'd start with #2 if it's possible and if not modify the steering stops.

In regards to #3:

https://www.verus-engineering.com/shop/product/a0067a-steering-rack-limiter-kit-frs-brz-wrx-1042

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aBd16dMttcdgn46pJyswu54jzCw4XQPmV1cs4K3rNziSzaBnEeYCxeB1BBVBB5wc