4 5 6 7 8
Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
8/23/13 12:30 a.m.

In reply to Zomby Woof:

I never said it was unmanly, sounds like you enjoy the balanced lifestyle.

My old mountain biking partner was an absolute health food nut.

I never saw him eat a greasy burger, pizza, bacon, nothing. No coffee, pop, anything that might be bad for you.

I'm all for taking care of yourself but it shouldn't be about making a sacrifice.

Have chinese food, have mcdonalds, have pizza, all of that stuff, just not every damn day and I'm sure you'll come out fine in the end.

Everything in moderation, INCLUDING moderation.

If I get hit by a bus tomorrow and I've been keeping myself from eating a hamburger now-and-then because I might live an extra year, I'll be pissed off to say the least.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
8/23/13 1:00 a.m.

Men were men? Farmers still are.

Dashpot
Dashpot Reader
8/23/13 7:09 a.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: And on that note

Anybody who puts in a full moto on a CZ at 50+ wins.

Now go replace the seals in your Curnutts...

slefain
slefain UltraDork
8/23/13 8:54 a.m.

John Stapp riding the rocket sled to 400+ mph:

The rocket sled hitting the brakes after a run: Braking was achieved by use of a lever controlled by Mr. Stapp, which when triggered caused a trap door in the bottom of the sled to open and allow Mr. Stapp's gigantic depleted-uranium balls to halt the sled. The water troughs were there merely for show.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
8/23/13 9:22 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote:
Datsun310Guy wrote: Real men are still out there.... Detroit Diesel Twin Stick Guy
Awesome skill, must learn! What's the switch on the dash? Jake brake? 2-speed axle?

When I was a kid my grandfather taught me to drive his twin stick Mack. If he were really showing off He'd shift with both hands when he changed ranges. I'm pretty sure the switch is a Jake brake.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
8/23/13 9:49 a.m.

Yup, he's using the jake to slow the engine during the shift.

I'll quit bitching about heel-toe being hard to master now.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/23/13 10:24 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: Can I just tell a quick story? Ok thanks! A few years back I invited my brother-in-law over for a big-assed steak on the charcoal grill with a side of grilled shish-ka-bob veggies... He declined... ...he had an appointment to get his eyebrows waxed. Not even lying!

The problem is that you included veggies.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
8/23/13 12:14 p.m.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/23/13 12:40 p.m.

When men were men, car makers offered manuals with every model.

PS122
PS122 Reader
8/23/13 3:33 p.m.

EJ Potter "Michigan Madman"

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/25/13 12:52 a.m.

Rollie Free, setting the speed record at Bonneville on a vincent black knight

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
8/25/13 1:04 a.m.

See?

Nothing wrong with shorts and flip-flops on a motorcycle.

I wonder what road rash on salt feels like

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/25/13 1:09 a.m.

It stings like hell but it tastes great.

slow
slow New Reader
8/25/13 1:15 a.m.

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi HalfDork
8/25/13 6:35 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai3cnc-77ZE at 6:03 he's going through the gears and smoking a cigar. another item that makes me ask; we could do that back in the day? LOL

wearing a cotton shirt with a pocket full of pens too!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/25/13 7:19 p.m.
Dashpot wrote:
Anybody who puts in a full moto on a CZ at 50+ wins. Now go replace the seals in your Curnutts...

Curnutts. I have not heard that name in YEARS.

There's also Jeff Smith, two time 500cc World Champion. He rode the titanium framed BSA Victors back in the days when the frame might or might not last a full moto.

http://www.motorsportretro.com/2010/10/english-beat-the-story-of-the-500cc-titanium-bsa/

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
8/25/13 10:21 p.m.
slow wrote:

This man may have the biggest balls of anyone in this thread.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x UltraDork
8/26/13 9:58 a.m.

I can't believe I forgot this guy!

Joe Medicine Crow

The last of the crow war chiefs. He achieved all of his warchief honors in battle during WW2. He had to lead a war party, steal an enemies weapon, touch an enemy without killing him, and steal an enemy's horse. The guy later became a PHD.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
8/26/13 12:37 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: What ace fought in a world war with no legs?

Group Captain Sir Douglas Bader......I read a book about him years ago. It was a very interesting read.

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
8/26/13 12:53 p.m.

Robin Olds. Only real knock is "Robin" may not be the manliest of names.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/26/13 1:35 p.m.

The 'stache makes up for it.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
8/26/13 1:46 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote:
Appleseed wrote: What ace fought in a world war with no legs?
Group Captain Sir Douglas Bader......I read a book about him years ago. It was a very interesting read.

Didn't the Germans take away his artificial legs because he kept trying to escape?

kreb
kreb SuperDork
8/26/13 4:33 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote:
Dashpot wrote:
Anybody who puts in a full moto on a CZ at 50+ wins. Now go replace the seals in your Curnutts...
Curnutts. I have not heard that name in YEARS. There's also Jeff Smith, two time 500cc World Champion. He rode the titanium framed BSA Victors back in the days when the frame might or might not last a full moto. http://www.motorsportretro.com/2010/10/english-beat-the-story-of-the-500cc-titanium-bsa/

My dad's heavily into vintage motorcycle racing. What's amazing is until recently Jeff Smith and Dick "Bugs" Mann were still whupping on people 1/3 their age on the same heavy, undersprung bikes of old. It's remarkable how much technique can overcome physical superiority, even in Motorcycle racing.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/26/13 4:41 p.m.

FYI, #3 in the top pic is Roger Decoster.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
8/26/13 5:27 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill:
I believe they threatened to take his legs, but never did. They did allow the British to parachute a new leg into occupied France after he lost one of his prosthetic legs when he was shot down. He was a very interesting character.

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bFy6tclkd5G05EPPRR5AXv7Mguf8kfqLRD0H5IXAlujuiKf58aQeUxA6u7I388y6