Markde
Markde New Reader
10/3/13 12:13 a.m.

So I picked up a 99 9-3 I've been considering for the 2014 challenge. Sky seems to be the limit for power, the transmissions seem to be stout as well. However everything I've read talks about how poorly they handle. (Have yet to drive mine)

Is this issue fairly resolvable with a set of eibachs/konis and big RSB like for most fwd macstrut/solid beam cars or is there something else at play? I've read about chassis flex but there are simple/cheap fixes available for that. What makes people rave about say, a first gen Focus and write off the gm 900/9-3s?

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
10/3/13 7:59 a.m.

First, don't subscribe to what you have heard, drive it. Keep in mind that it is a softly sprung passenger car, not a race/rally car. Also the suspension has a lot of miles on it. Will need refurbishing. The suspension is basically the same as on most FWD cars and will react in the same manner when modded.

Tyler H
Tyler H SuperDork
10/3/13 8:11 a.m.

I've seen some really fast ones blow past me in Lemons and Chump. Seems like they handle well enough. or can be made to.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
10/3/13 8:11 a.m.

I had an '01 9-3 for a while. After a 22mm rear sway and the steering rack clamp and brace kit from genuinesaab/taliaferro, it was much improved. I've read that the six point front subframe brace is also well-loved by enthusiasts. The Koni suspension kit was the affordable option when I had mine, but I never got that far with it.

As to the last question.... When comparing the 9-3 to an equally-aged Focus, it's easier to criticize a car with a $35k MSRP than a car listed for $15k. GM Saabs simply weren't worth what they tried to sell them for. Today, they're bargains for people who enjoy driving and don't mind turning their own wrenches occasionally.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
10/3/13 8:12 a.m.
Markde wrote: a first gen Focus and write off the gm 900/9-3s?

cost? idk. weight?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
10/3/13 8:13 a.m.

I'm a longtime SAAB fan, but I've got no love at all for the GM era SAABs, especially ng900/9-3s. I view them as T5 engine managment system donors for c900s. If I were going to intentionally use a GM era SAAB for a performance car project I would start with a 9-5 aero.

That being said, my friends that have worked with ng900s say that a steering rack reinforcement and subframe bracing go a long way.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
10/3/13 8:32 a.m.

Reinforce, reinforce, reinforce!

With a GenuineSaab subframe brace and steering rack brace alone you will notice a HUGE difference. Then add some SAS swaybars, Konis, and proper springs and voila! The Brits track Saabs a lot more than we do and it seems the secret is in the chassis bracing.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit UltraDork
10/3/13 9:00 a.m.
Powar wrote: I had an '01 9-3 for a while. After a 22mm rear sway and the steering rack clamp and brace kit from genuinesaab/taliaferro, it was much improved. I've read that the six point front subframe brace is also well-loved by enthusiasts. The Koni suspension kit was the affordable option when I had mine, but I never got that far with it. As to the last question.... When comparing the 9-3 to an equally-aged Focus, it's easier to criticize a car with a $35k MSRP than a car listed for $15k. GM Saabs simply weren't worth what they tried to sell them for. Today, they're bargains for people who enjoy driving and don't mind turning their own wrenches occasionally.

This is the truth.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
10/3/13 1:57 p.m.

Not an authority on this particular model, but when you say "Handle" what specific attribute do you find lacking? Under-steer, over-steer, lack of grip, poor steering feel at the limit, poor turn in?

A lot of people consider anything but a totally flat attitude around a car to be a "Poor Handling" car. Not always the case.

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
10/3/13 2:35 p.m.

Let's see, very front heavy weight bias, not a lot of tire and fwd with turbo torque steer.

Yep, that about explains it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
75TJtdnPIMLrx1juUrVrOFTUfSqA55v728fcMYUYS88yrZbSLZcX4cC2lhZOsxqQ