1 2
earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
4/13/24 9:17 p.m.

Auto or manual? If it's a manual, upgrade the stock clutch pedal "ratcheting" plastic linkage to an aftermarket solid setup.

What gear ratio? My '88 LX 5.0 hatchback had the 2.73's, which sound crazy high, but the torque of the 5.0 would still light up the rears well into 2nd gear, and pull down mid - 20's mpg on the highway.

Flowmasters just sound so right on those. Add in a "off-road" H pipe, and you'll be able to set off car alarms just burbling through a parking garage.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
4/13/24 11:11 p.m.

I may have a quadrant and cable for you, probably other stuff, just pay to ship the box.  

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
4/13/24 11:19 p.m.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
4/13/24 11:19 p.m.

P3PPY
P3PPY SuperDork
4/14/24 7:13 a.m.
earlybroncoguy1 said:

Auto or manual? If it's a manual, upgrade the stock clutch pedal "ratcheting" plastic linkage to an aftermarket solid setup.

What gear ratio? My '88 LX 5.0 hatchback had the 2.73's, which sound crazy high, but the torque of the 5.0 would still light up the rears well into 2nd gear, and pull down mid - 20's mpg on the highway.

Flowmasters just sound so right on those. Add in a "off-road" H pipe, and you'll be able to set off car alarms just burbling through a parking garage.

YES! Flows! That's one of the best, most classic exhaust sounds for the foxes or for any cars in general. It's just right. 

I briefly had an 89 LX 5.0 5 speed convertible with Flowmasters. And a large part of the "briefly" is that with the Flowmasters on it and tinkering on it in a garage, I couldn't hear the rod knocking until I was on the highway. 
8|

Not coincidentally, I sold my 89 LX 5.0 5 speed convertible with Flowmasters for nearly scrap price from alongside the shoulder of northbound I-35 shortly thereafter. 
:(

RacingComputers
RacingComputers Reader
4/14/24 11:01 a.m.

It happens

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ UltraDork
4/14/24 2:33 p.m.
SEADave said:

You don't have to justify buying a foxbody Mustang, they are iconic cars.  Even as much as they have gone up in value already I don't think they will ever be as cheap as they are today.  I'm with you on the parts situation, although if you can find a multi-function stalk switch that works for more than a year for less than $100 I would love to hear about it.   

You're right.  These are just going to go up in value.  For the same reason that E-body Mopars did starting about 30 years ago.  Guys like me, going on 55, want em and have a little bit of money to spend - finally.  I guess it's a generational thing.  I have much less love for either a Steve McQueen era Mustang or a modern Coyote Mustang than for a Fox.  A Fox, to me, is the quintessential Mustang.  I don't think I'm alone.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
4/14/24 3:03 p.m.

In reply to earlybroncoguy1 :

It's a 5 speed with MAC mufflers; it sounds really nice.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
4/14/24 3:12 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

This may be one time when I picked correctly when it comes to value of a car.

If I'd picked a 510 or 240Z instead of a 1200 my Datsun would be worth 3 times what I have in it.

I will be putting about another 3K in it; chassis stiffeners, Cobra brakes, aluminum heads and replaced all the various things like rotted door seals.

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
4/14/24 8:19 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Might I suggest a build thread for your car? Even if it isn't a build/project?

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
4/14/24 8:59 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I plan to.

Today I found out what was scraping at full lock. The edge of the wheel is contacting the control arm. There is a stiffening plate welded to the control arm and the wheel was starting to notch that. I had to file the plate on the control arm for clearence.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UberDork
4/14/24 10:48 p.m.

Well done sir. I have liked them since the late 1980s. In 87 I got a job at a jeep amc , lincoln-mercury, merkur, Renault , Nissan dealership as the factotum . I drove many v8 fox mustangs and Capris to and fro auctions, other dealers etc. I always thought it was a great car. About 2010 or so my friend fat Matt was street driving a lx notch back drag car. He was running low 10s on pump gas. It wasn't what I would have done with that car but very impressive nonetheless.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Kqc368o0AMDjBIWXeYayx3lzDtmld99HFmn2aJHspMB2hXc1dEAKJXsqGdjKqy7j