1 2 3
Fletch1
Fletch1 Dork
7/25/19 11:20 a.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

There are other issues with these as well and from other personal knowledge. Just trying to help.  Carry on and get what your wife wants.  That's probably best than asking people on a car forum what car to get when in reality you'll just get what you want anyway.wink

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
7/25/19 12:01 p.m.
captainawesome said:
Fletch1 said:

Show your wife this:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Edge/2013/

Then, track down a used Lexus Rx350 or other Japanese Crossover.  Hurry!  There is still time cheeky  "The Lexus, flexes, from Long Beach to Texas."

I see that most complaints are about the door ajar light staying on? The rest all appear to be typical for any make and model. Not looking to argue, but if the site was named www.greatthingsaboutthecaryouown.com it would have the same type of data.

Yeah that site is based on user submission like forums. You'll never hear from ppl who have reliable experiences. 

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
7/25/19 12:05 p.m.
Fletch1 said:

There are other issues with these as well and from other personal knowledge. Just trying to help.  Carry on and get what your wife wants.  That's probably best than asking people on a car forum what car to get when in reality you'll just get what you want anyway.wink

I appreciate the help, but if you look up ANY of the models listed in this thread there will be issues listed just like that. Some really are worse than others though, and I've been trying to find all the data that supports it being a bad decision. Unfortunately when you look at a site like that, it really is difficult to find a vehicle that doesn't have some small/large stigma attached to it.

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
7/25/19 12:45 p.m.

BTW, since the wife changed the parameter from sedan to CUV/SUV that inadvertently reduces the "luxury" vehicles available as I can't stomach paying over 10k for 175k miles. Looks like there are some well optioned Kia Sorentos that could fit the bill though. I think I've also found that my wife's idea of luxury isn't really that difficult to find in most cars in general.

leather seats

heated seats

bluetooth

possibly 3rd row

For those frustrated by my lack of buying exactly what YOU suggest, I share that same frustration. The wife is the one who fills our bank account at over thrice the rate of my income, so when she wants something nice, I am here to point her in the right direction. It takes effort to explain why the pretty German cars aren't worth getting over the mediocre looking one. It also is taking considerable effort for her to decide the hell she REALLY wants while keeping it within budget. I was hoping we could just get another Sportwagen with an automatic, but that didn't pan out.

In closing, I value the opinion on this forum more than anywhere else. Period. Trust me, the suggestions are not completely falling on deaf ears.

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
7/25/19 1:00 p.m.

I find myself more happy with my purchases when I get what I want vs what is the most logical and economic choice. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
7/25/19 1:01 p.m.

I get it completely.  I've been through this 3-ish times with the sleepywife, it's part of the reason why I keep an active dialog going about cars all the time, so I can track the change.

10k/12k might pick up a 2010-12 Pilot, although it'll probably be in the 125k range.  The Sorrento might be better... will certainly feel more "right sized" compared to the jetta she's already slinging.  Are Mazda CX-5's down around 10k yet?  Looks like there's some 100kmi '13-'15's dropping into that range, without the 3rd row, but a nice rear hatch area.

Fletch1
Fletch1 Dork
7/25/19 1:11 p.m.

I know what you mean.  I have much more to go on than just that site by the way (family/friends/other sites).  I just found that page really quick as a reference which may have not been the best. I could tell she was leaning toward a CUV...many people are going to those now.  I know some people who have Crv Ex-l's with leather and they are nice.  Does it matter to her the brand?  Honda's EX-L trims always seemed nice to me.  She seems into the German brands.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
7/25/19 1:42 p.m.

Lexuxs/Infiniti/Acura are the obvious choices.

I'd also recommend lookign at they Genesis sedan (by Hyundai).  Essentially a budget Lexus LS.  I've seen plenty in the low-teens with reasonable mileage.  I haven't done any reserach to see if there are any model-specific issues with these cars, but I know a few people who have owned them an all said great things.

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
7/25/19 1:49 p.m.

She's into the German brands because of my previous love for BMWs. We went back and forth about getting an X5 for her, but I really didn't want a maintenance whore. She randomly test drove the Sportwagen one day, fell in love, and I couldn't argue the price or reliability. So we bought it. A few months later she keeps having issues with the left knee, which the clutch side continually inflames. Since both of our vehicles were manual, that put us in quite a pickle. I subsequently bought an 01 Montero the other day that was in decent shape for $2500. It's my spare toy, but for now it's a way to move her around until we decide what's replacing the Wagen. I think the Montero is what changed her mind on what she wanted. So essentially I blame Mitsubishi for my woes.

Fletch1
Fletch1 Dork
7/25/19 2:00 p.m.

So you learned your lesson but she has yet to learn? 

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
7/25/19 2:54 p.m.
Fletch1 said:

So you learned your lesson but she has yet to learn? 

I've pointed her in the direction we can go, and it doesn't include any of the brands listed in the first post. We are on our way to choosing something that takes care of her wants while simultaneously keeping me from wrenching. No Germans will be purchased in this scenario(knock on wood).

Fletch1
Fletch1 Dork
7/25/19 3:12 p.m.

Cool.  Keep us posted.  Interested in hearing what you get.  Miata maybe....  laugh

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/25/19 8:42 p.m.

Congrats on the '01 Montero.  I like mine.

I understand the "all over the place" type shopping.  With the intention of finding a Prius, I bought a Montero???

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
7/25/19 9:00 p.m.

Luxury? Check. Reliability? Check. Performance? Sure, for a crossover. Value for your money? These things depreciated like used Trojans. The Infiniti EX. It's a G35 wearing a backpack.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
7/25/19 9:05 p.m.

Is the Infiniti M56 in the low teens yet? Do want. 

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
7/26/19 6:56 a.m.
John Welsh said:

Congrats on the '01 Montero.  I like mine.

I understand the "all over the place" type shopping.  With the intention of finding a Prius, I bought a Montero???

I always wanted a 3rd gen Montero. There's a gold limited on base for sale. 

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
7/26/19 7:46 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Oddly enough I've read through that thread a few times. I had a 1st Gen LWB 91 for quite a few years and like a dumbass sold it. A year later I bought a very poorly taken care of 2nd Gen that got quickly sold off as well. I guess it was a natural progression to jump into a 3rd gen. So far it's my favorite of the 3 mainly due to the interior spec, but if another 1st Gen in decent shape pops up I'm going to get it.

064E2665-1886-4AA2-98FE-73B7B229630F by hatchethairy, on Flickr

In reply to yupididit :

Do it. They are a blast to drive, and are extremely capable. I'm hoping to take this one to a few off road parks over the next couple years.

Nofive_0
Nofive_0 New Reader
7/26/19 8:08 a.m.

As a person whose wife dailys a 2011 TDI JSW and I also own a 2008 328i wagon, I would never let her DD a 12 year old 3 series. My car drives wonderfully, but unless you're an enthusiast and really stay on top of it, the maintenance will get away from you. I certainly wouldn't recommend it. My wife goes weeks without noticing that a tire has thrown a wheel weight, or she is 2k miles past the oil change.

I'd recommend:

DSG TDi - Obviously you already know about these. They are SUPER cheap right now as VW has flooded the market with fixed vehicles. Unfortunately you'll get hit with this when you try to sell yours. Not to mention that they all come with warranties on the expensive bits now.

Lexus CT200h - Very nice prius

IS250/350 - As everyone else has mentioned. 

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
7/26/19 11:23 a.m.

Could find a nice loaded Mitsubishi Outlander GT with all the bells and whistles..yep I went there..

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
7/26/19 11:34 a.m.
dxman92 said:

Could find a nice loaded Mitsubishi Outlander GT with all the bells and whistles..yep I went there..

We looked at a couple but not the GT model. Kinda sparce around here I think.

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
7/26/19 4:57 p.m.

You could probably find a Maxima in your price range. Also a Chrysler 300 might work. Hey its German underneath in a roundabout way. wink

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
7/28/19 4:21 p.m.

I saw this thread and thought "man, if i hadn't been off the grid for the past week i'd've made damn sure the first reply was Lexus". Needless to say i feel immediately reaffirmed into this conclave after my week away. cheeky

I'm gonna say the newest GS350 that fits your budget. I sort of prefer Avalons to ES's based entirely on looks but if you don't care for the RWD proportion or oversteer capabilities there's also those. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UpnDUMA2UboHVi3bjL9sCQvXhM1QDc54n9xN5JIH0bVzc5zxULFESUu3t58jEGDA