1 2
dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/27/24 2:43 p.m.

I am very good at making bad choices and this is one I would not touch. 

The only way I could see this making sense is if I needed parts and had a way of disposing of the rest.  

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn SuperDork
8/27/24 3:22 p.m.

The 380 have issues especially 1981.  They do get the best mpg of any r107.  If I was going to get one make sure it is a 1985 + model with the dual time chain.  Regardless, I wouldn't mess with a car like that, looks like a headache. The 380sl is like 160hp so not much go-go.  

Yout best bet is to grab the guts from a 420sel sedan and swap it in.  

The 450sl with 3 speed gets like 12mpg, half of the 380sl. If I wanted a v8 car I would try and find a 560sl or 500sl euro model.   

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/27/24 3:35 p.m.

In reply to benzbaronDaryn :

I had a customer with a Euro market 280 that he brought with him from Hungary.  DOHC twelve valve inline six.

Talk about sloooow smiley

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
8/27/24 5:19 p.m.

A friend of mine raced(sad) a 560SL for a while. On paper it should have been at lot more car than it actually was. Similar weight, 50/50 weight distribution and 227hp should have put it at the same performance level as an early 928 he raced against, but in every way the 928 just blew it's doors off. Very comfy ride though!

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn SuperDork
8/27/24 6:31 p.m.

You need to adjust the automatic transmission bowden linkage, vacuum modulator, trans kickdown.  If all those are correct the dohc six moves.  The 280 goes into 4th gear around 80mph.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/27/24 6:44 p.m.

In reply to benzbaronDaryn :

What fourth gear in 1981?

Huh, there was a 4th gear.

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
8/27/24 6:56 p.m.

Would this be a Bad Idea or a Very Bad Idea? 380SL

And if you did a LS swap you could have a 380SLLS.

You need this as close to free as you can get it.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/27/24 7:00 p.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

If it's like the other R107 Mercs that I have worked on, they are very front sump biased and the front "subframe" is part of the chassis.

Chevy might not cut it but a Ford might.

Remembering further, I think I did work on a 380SL once.  It didn't have K-Jetronic like the 450SLs (and that 280) but D-Jetronic, I think.  It was EFI and it had a weird mechanical MAP sensor that was large enough that it might actually have had a Bowden tube inside like a mechanical gauge, scribing across a resistor grid like a fuel level sender or a flapper door AFM.  As a guess as to how Bosch may have made a large, metallic MAP sensor in the 1970s.  It was also shockingly expensive.  It was $1100 in the late 00s, I just found one on eBay for $1800

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn SuperDork
8/27/24 8:10 p.m.

D-jet cars are their own thing.  A couple guys have done the legwork and reengineered some of the control stuff, ecu parts, but I am a mechanical fuel injection guy.  The 1975 and before cars are d-jet and smog exempt here in Ca, but parts are gonna be a real pain.  

The Bowden linkage is a contraption attached to the throttle linkage and back to the transmission.  Bushing disintegrate and transmission misbehaves. 

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/28/24 8:14 a.m.

I'm monitoring a new user on another car forum. Pretty sure it's an AI Bot. That got me looking at several 'discussion generators' and I was impressed with some of the responses. Here's how it replied when I entered just the title of this topic, "Would this be a Bad Idea or a Very Bad Idea? 380SL". Something about the phrasing of the replies still has a bit of the seven fingers on a hand feeling, but it could easily pass for an informed human reply.

It sounds like you're contemplating a decision regarding the 380SL, which is a classic car known for its timeless design and luxury appeal. The distinction between a "bad idea" and a "very bad idea" often hinges on several key factors.

First, consider your goals for this vehicle. Are you looking to own it for personal enjoyment, or do you intend to invest and potentially resell it in the future? If it’s purely for enjoyment, the nostalgia and driving experience may outweigh any negatives. However, if you’re thinking investment, research the market thoroughly, as classic cars can be quite volatile.

Next, reflect on the condition of the specific 380SL you're considering. These cars can vary significantly in their maintenance and restoration history. Investing in a model that requires extensive work may err more toward the "very bad idea" territory, especially regarding costs and potential mechanical issues down the line.

Lastly, factor in the costs associated with ownership, such as insurance, maintenance, and any modifications. Classic cars can require a lot of upkeep, which isn’t just financial but also time-consuming.

So, is it a bad idea or a very bad idea? It ultimately depends on your personal passion for classic vehicles, a solid understanding of the investment landscape, and inspecting the specific model's condition. Engaging in some detailed research and possibly connecting with other owners can provide invaluable insight. Ultimately, if the rewards outweigh the risks for you, it might just end up being the best decision you've made!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jEqFPjrBXfxoZszurdfWR5EnnNyqrMoq04E28o3M2UyFErHED02zUhcRWEYJEt3F