CrookedRacer
CrookedRacer Reader
5/25/24 10:56 a.m.

We're planning a trip to see WRC in Finland and I want all the advice you guys can give me... It's my wife, my 18yo nephew, and I that are going. They're both adventurous enough, and I'm willing to get lost... but I wonder if you all have opinions. Does anyone around here have opinions?

I have a hotel booked in Jyvaskyla since March, because I heard that if you don't book early you're going to be camping. Not sure how true that is, but it is done.

I will have a rental car, and I love driving in foreign countries... but I'm also seriously considering hiring a guide to take the three of us around to the stages.

That's because my inspiration for this entire trip is this one line that I read in a C&D magazine article by John Phillips over 22 years ago:

"This," says Howard, as if quoting scripture, "is the secret route. It is The Way. Only we know The Way. I love Finland."

Obviously, I don't know The Way. Maybe I need to find someone who does. Or, I could learn The Way on the job... Just hopefully not The Hard Way.

Please share your experience and thoughts!

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
5/25/24 4:07 p.m.

How long are you Finland, what are you interested in seeing/doing?  Want to travel around the country much or mostly sticking around  Jyväskylä?  Closest I've been to there is Tampere and it's been years but I bet some added info would help you get good responses.

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick Reader
5/25/24 11:09 p.m.

I don't really have any useful info on navigating around the WRC stages, but I have spent a few trips working north of Tampere, stayed in Jyväskylä and been at the Motopark for drag racing events.  Just go and get lost, you'll find people who speak English, the roads are quite good in general, and the lakes and small towns are great!  I have taken a ferry from Jyväskylä down the chain of lakes south and that was also a good time.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB Dork
5/25/24 11:43 p.m.

Don't speed while driving, only going off of urban legends on strict enforcement. 

I did WRC Portugal many years ago. So much fun. The snow event should be amazing. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
5/26/24 9:12 a.m.

From all the videos I've seen, and speaking to a Finnish guy I once had for a boss, I think it is the law you must drink beer while spectating.

classtef
classtef New Reader
6/19/24 11:17 p.m.
GTwannaB said:

Don't speed while driving, only going off of urban legends on strict enforcement. 

I did WRC Portugal many years ago. So much fun. The snow event should be amazing. 

That's fantastic, @GTwannaB! The opportunity to experience WRC in Portugal must have been incredible.  I'm already considering watching next year's event (great news about Portugal's continued involvement: https://www.wrc.com/a/news/w27876_New-agreement-confirms-Portugal-s-continued-WRC-legacy). Do you know if they typically announce the dates well in advance? This would be very helpful for planning purposes. In addition to my own research, I'm also considering hiring a local guide like https://gowithguide.com/portugal/porto/guides to personalize the experience and ensure I can see the event.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6Eig63WiKOCgA2gtWfLKJIxGVgoB0zeaEMm0XSwYvNrbk8fbVSvrwN0L1xMd2QjU