1 2
yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/27/15 9:42 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Ricelands plus wheels like that and style things....yea, I'd say it was stanced at some point. How caved in is the stamped unibody?

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
1/27/15 11:54 a.m.

Pick the car up tonight, and man, I'm giddy like a school girl (appropriate, it's a Miata hey - I can say that, I own one ).

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
1/27/15 12:23 p.m.
84FSP wrote: Nice color choice on THE right answer to any auto question... Now for the obligatory description of it's Flyin Miata or Jackson Racing force feeder...

Or its' Fast Forward force feeder.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/27/15 1:28 p.m.

Mmmmmmm E-Cool Koolaid.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
1/27/15 5:03 p.m.

It'll be funny if after all the crap talking the racelands that he still ends up liking them just fine.

I mean, honestly, if you can't tell they're bad, then they ARE fine (for you), and that's bottom line. Don't be one of those people who buys mods based on what other people tell them without having a problem with their car that originated in their own actual experience with it.

I like the color and the wheels and wouldnt change those OR the racelands unless i, you know, actually didnt like them.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
1/27/15 7:11 p.m.

Like your choice of flavor.

Have fun with it! BTW - you'll probably get boatloads of crap from the "That thing got a Hemi?!?" crew, but you won't care.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
1/27/15 7:29 p.m.

Welcome to the club.

Miata

Is

Always

The

Answer

M.I.A.T.A.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
1/27/15 7:30 p.m.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
1/27/15 8:23 p.m.

In reply to Jerry: Cool.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
1/28/15 12:44 a.m.

So I got the car. After a 70 mile drive home, freeway and through town, I am no longer a fan of the Racelands; choppier on the road home than on the 20 min test drive around town from whence it came (with generally pretty smooth streets...). I do think they'll need replaced sooner rather than later. Tires need balanced; and or the front suspension is shot. Up to about 55 or 60, car was pretty smooth, after that, a lot of vibration (that's usually balancing, as I recall).

On the last leg of the journey, stopped at the local walmart parking lot/commercial pads to put the top down. My son wanted to just ride with me around the parking lot a bit, and since it was so vast and expansive and empty, we did a short impromptu autocross course/run. I now understand why it is the answer. The handling of these cars, even with the less than stellar racelands on it, is phenomenal. In my opinion, the chasis just feels better than the MR2 I drove a while back. Not quite sure how to define it.

And a quick burnout confirms the car does have the LSD.

All in all, I am quite happy with the purchase.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
1/28/15 12:47 a.m.
KyAllroad wrote: Welcome to the club. Miata Is Always The Answer M.I.A.T.A.

Control had Kaos, what's the arch nemesis for "M.I.A.T.A."

nboyles85737
nboyles85737 New Reader
1/28/15 1:39 a.m.

haha car is very pretty as it sits, kid seems like he got a lot of stuff from ebay(looks FANTASTIC for an eBay car). mostly cosmetics; my 2 cents/complaints are as the following:

slightly faded mirrors

small scratch in the engine bay(yes i went there)

ebay looking strut bar

meh HIDS

racelands

racelands are ok-ish for DD but IMHO they suck for spirited driving and if you really wanna push it... well... LOL

NO progression in racelands, feels like an earth quake meter on SMOOTH roads... yeesh.

old man knows im not trying to bag on his car and agree's with me on all but the "strut bar needs to go."

style bar is fine since he wont do any serious racing in it...

but yea racelands suck... ride quality is MEH at best for DD. anything beyond, save up... then again neither of us have had CO's. we normally run vogtlands w/ stock struts. provides some comfort and some go.

all in all its a 9.5/10

pops says he plans to replace vogtlands. when he does ill bump to a 10/10

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/28/15 8:51 a.m.
OldGray320i wrote:
KyAllroad wrote: Welcome to the club. Miata Is Always The Answer M.I.A.T.A.
Control had Kaos, what's the arch nemesis for "M.I.A.T.A."

S2K.

About the wheel imbalance - Miatas have a resonant frequency at about 65 mph. If you've got out of balance or out of round wheels, you'll feel it in a big way. BTW, the wheels look pretty cool. Dunno how much they weigh, but if they're not boat anchors I'd hang on to 'em.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bHRgA2i9m19nsYt5Dl14Cx9Qir9IwCk43MgnymvJvMCGPDsdXA7ZJ7At0eoXOMWd