1 2 3
fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
6/21/24 5:16 p.m.

Lowered pickup was nice. I think a small trailer is nicer. Trying to ramp a bike up modern gigantic trucks gives me the heeby jeebies. Winch makes all the difference.

And just because.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
6/21/24 5:48 p.m.

In reply to fatallightning :

That's probably the best choice. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
6/24/24 9:23 p.m.

I use a hitch hauler for my Beta 520. Works fine.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/24/24 11:15 p.m.

500 miles. Cinched it down with 6 rachet straps. Never budged.

69tr6r
69tr6r
6/25/24 9:23 a.m.
fatallightning said:

Lowered pickup was nice. I think a small trailer is nicer. Trying to ramp a bike up modern gigantic trucks gives me the heeby jeebies. Winch makes all the difference.

And just because.

Those bike wheels seem way to close to the ground for my liking. Most of the trailheads near me have sharp inclines going in and out, and some are potholed gravel lots. 

Caprigrip
Caprigrip Reader
7/13/24 12:19 p.m.

While I absolutely love the mini truck above, this Jack mount has been really easy for me to use.  

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
7/14/24 11:01 a.m.

In reply to Caprigrip :

That an Ultimate MX Hauler?

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/14/24 11:27 a.m.

In reply to Caprigrip :

What is that? I have my own plans and all the material cut to make something like that, I didn't know it was already available 

Caprigrip
Caprigrip Reader
7/15/24 1:33 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

@docwyte 

Yes an Ultimate MX hauler I bought used a few years ago.  Just looked and this one is discontinued but they have a new version.   It's $$$ though all of a sudden :/

https://mojomotosport.com/pages/mojo-moto-hauler-new

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/15/24 7:49 a.m.

In reply to Caprigrip :

Thanks. I've never seen that, but it's very similar to what I designed.

I need to finish building it

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
7/15/24 9:37 a.m.

In reply to Caprigrip :

The Switch Hauler is a similar design, but they want almost $1000 for it.  Which is totally crazy to me, especially since the deck height is limited.  If you're putting the carrier on a hitch and the deck height doesn't drop low enough, you're going to have issues trying to load a dual sport like mine, which weighs 350lbs, on to it...

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/15/24 10:25 a.m.

How far off is the deck height on the Ultimate MX hauler? I wonder if you could just have a few scraps of 2x material or other "props" to put the bike on, then load it from there. Removal is the reverse of loading; put the scraps / stands in place, set the bike down on them. Include something for the kick stand of course.

Caprigrip
Caprigrip Reader
7/15/24 2:35 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I'll measure but I do have to lift the rear of my bike on there.  

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
7/15/24 3:05 p.m.

I dont know how tall dirt bikes are, but I suspect many would fit approx. where my mountain bike does

the_machina
the_machina Reader
7/15/24 3:51 p.m.

How hard would it be to mount a ramp/ tray temporarily where the tire storage is on your race trailer? Have the KTM ride transverse on your trailer instead of tires. Most of the weight will be on the trailer axle, you might end up with 150# of tongue weight.

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee PowerDork
7/15/24 6:54 p.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to BoxheadTim :

$1000-1200 for a Kendon is a steal.  Around here they're $1500-3000 used, and if I get one, I'd like to get one that can carry two motos.  That way if I plan a ride with a friend I can carry both our bikes.

Be patient. I've seen kendon's come up for 1k-1200 but typically they're 1500-2k for the two bike models. 

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee PowerDork
7/15/24 10:56 p.m.

Another option if you've already got one of the ultimate Mx haulers. Is a couple of pieces of 2x6 roll the bike on to lift it. Or a small ramp like the ones used to work on cars. 

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
7/16/24 9:18 a.m.

In reply to the_machina :

That sadly wouldn't work very well.  I'd need a really long ramp to get the bike there onto the tray, plus the wheel rack itself would obstruct the bike tray/bike.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/16/24 10:40 a.m.

I think what Machina and I are saying is, not to ramp the bike up onto the Ulimate MX but to have the bike high enough that the deck height on the Ultimate MX isn't a problem. I watched a video review of the Ultimate MX and it looks like you're supposed to lever / half lift the bike onto the carrier anyway, but I bet a 690 might be a bit heavy for that! I'm not sure how you tried to load it, what process did you use?

I was watching this video; at about two minutes in is when he loads his bike on the carrier:

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
7/16/24 2:13 p.m.

I get that.  I was responding to Machina's suggestion of mounting a motorcycle tray to my existing tire trailer.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/16/24 2:48 p.m.

Ohh, duh, yeah I misread the names sorry.

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee PowerDork
7/17/24 9:38 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

If you've got a skid plate on the 690 it shouldn't be that difficult. A single ramp like those used for an oil change placed just enough to the rear of the hauler platform would allow you to roll the front wheel up the ramp then steer towards the back of the suv as the front wheel clears the platform. A little wiggle should allow you to get it into position.

or do what I do. Most of the parking areas are not level around me.  Just find a spot that has the front 2-3 inches higher than the rear. With the hold down pegs removed the bike slides right off and on without me on it.  I'm using a moto jack rack vs the Mx hauler but same concept. 

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee PowerDork
7/17/24 9:46 p.m.
dculberson said:

I think what Machina and I are saying is, not to ramp the bike up onto the Ulimate MX but to have the bike high enough that the deck height on the Ultimate MX isn't a problem. I watched a video review of the Ultimate MX and it looks like you're supposed to lever / half lift the bike onto the carrier anyway, but I bet a 690 might be a bit heavy for that! I'm not sure how you tried to load it, what process did you use?

I was watching this video; at about two minutes in is when he loads his bike on the carrier:

That dude does it the hard way. 
Go straight at the side of the tray, go around the rearmost edge but barely miss the right fork lug, steer back towards the front of the vehicle again barely missing the right fork lug with the other side of the platform. Do it right and you will barely have to lift the bike. 

the_machina
the_machina Reader
7/18/24 4:01 p.m.
docwyte said:

That sadly wouldn't work very well.  I'd need a really long ramp to get the bike there onto the tray, plus the wheel rack itself would obstruct the bike tray/bike.

Didn't know how removable the wheel rack was on the tire trailer. Was imagining taking out a couple bolts to remove the wheel rack so that you could get to the bike tray. And if you're power-walking the bike up the ramp, you could get away with just another section of track same length as the bike probably.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
7/18/24 6:07 p.m.

Yeah, it's welded onto the trailer, so isn't going anywhere.  Stinks because it's a great idea and reuses a trailer I've already got.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AExJCJo3SDfJkKps5oq8awFv66QFnu7qmFZWlkOaPPZMXPntkd7c7fEcJ5v9SSGJ