1 2 3
codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/31/24 2:28 a.m.
CAinCA said:
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
CAinCA said:

Depeche Mode (not a good show), Duran Duran, Cake, in the late 90's.

I've seen DM three times -- 1990, 1993, and 2023.  1990 and 2023 were great, the 1993 show was only OK, although that could have been the venue.

This was around the 93 timeframe. It was a hot mess at Cal Expo. It was around the time that David Gahan was in his peak heroin usage. The opening band was much better.

I saw the devotional tour at the San Diego Sports Arena, which is a pretty wretched concert venue, IME.  I also wasn't really fond of most of the tracks on Songs of Faith and Devotion (or, to be honest, much of anything that came after it until Memento Mori).  The opening act (Miranda Sex Garden, had to look up the name) didn't do much for me either.

Thinking about it, yeah, that show ranks pretty low compared to most of the others I've been to. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/31/24 9:07 a.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

We saw Depeche Mode about 10 years ago. My wife’s a fan, and I recognized more songs than I expected to.

The highlight, perhaps: a dude in a sports jersey (hockey, I think) walking up the aisle with a confused look. I seriously think he went to the wrong venue.

We saw Motörhead on their last tour, a co-headling gig with Anthrax. RIP, Lemmy. 

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
7/31/24 9:42 a.m.

Jethro Tull

David S. Wallens
7/31/24 10:57 a.m.

Even though I grew up on Long Island, I never saw Twisted Sister. I did once see Dee Snider driving a van, though. 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
7/31/24 12:05 p.m.

Queen. Freddie Mercury seemed even more incredible live.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
7/31/24 3:36 p.m.

Glenn Miller.......

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/31/24 4:20 p.m.
Noddaz said:

Jethro Tull

One of the best shows I've ever seen. Everything was top notch including the sound quality

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
8/1/24 8:27 p.m.

While not a band, I do wish I had gotten to see Avicii in person. 

Checked RHCP off my list last week. 😂 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/1/24 11:15 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to CAinCA :

We saw the last Police tour, too. I went in totally not knowing what to expect. I kinda figured they’d have a percussion section, some backup singers and maybe an extra guitarist or two.

It was just three of them. 

Somehow the police are a ska band with three guys when it takes most other bands more people than a college football team.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/2/24 1:08 a.m.

I would have liked to have seen The Talking Heads.

David S. Wallens
8/2/24 9:34 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Not sure it counts, but I once saw David Byrne at a gallery opening. Or, pretty sure someone said that was him. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/2/24 10:26 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Just finished watching Stop Making Sense again last weekend. Such a cool performance. 

HunterJP
HunterJP HalfDork
8/2/24 4:34 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I heard Pearl Jam but didn’t see them: They played the field next to my dorm, and I heard some of the soundcheck from the bathroom. I had never heard of them at the time, and I’m pretty sure I headed downtown that evening to catch someone else. 

I was fortunate enough to see them, opening for Smashing Pumpkins, who were opening for Red Hot Chili Peppers in a place called Peony Park Ballroom in Omaha, NE.  I think that place had room for a couple thousand people. I had never heard of Pearl Jam, had no idea who was on stage until I asked around and someone mentioned their name.  This was Oct of 1991. Ten had just dropped, and their first video hit shortly after I saw them.  They stole the show.  Still one the best concert I've ever been to.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
8/3/24 7:38 a.m.

I would have liked to see in particular order before they either lost key members or I ran out of funds for live concerts.

RUSH

Bob Marley

Violet Femmes (the tour date near me is already sold out hence regret)

Pink Floyd (not so drunk I barely remember it)

Iron Maiden

The Grateful Dead

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/3/24 5:52 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to CAinCA :

We saw the last Police tour, too. I went in totally not knowing what to expect. I kinda figured they’d have a percussion section, some backup singers and maybe an extra guitarist or two.

Somehow the police are a ska band with three guys when it takes most other bands more people than a college football team.

How long ago? I thought Sting would never "go backwards" to do a Police tour.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
8/3/24 6:02 p.m.

Ramones

I wish I could have seen Led Zeppelin in their early days. 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/4/24 7:01 a.m.

Bowie

Queen

Marley

Talking Heads

Tears for Fears

Jimi

Coltrane 

Miles Davis

David S. Wallens
8/5/24 9:47 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
JG Pasterjak said:
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to CAinCA :

How long ago? I thought Sting would never "go backwards" to do a Police tour.

Looks like it was 2007-’08 which sounds about right. 

David S. Wallens
8/5/24 9:50 a.m.

In reply to LopRacer :

Maiden live is always a treat–like, we’ll go see both Florida shows. (Traditionally, or at least in modern times, they’ll play south Florida as well as Tampa, often with a few months inbetween.)

It’s a lot like this:

David S. Wallens
8/5/24 9:53 a.m.

In reply to HunterJP :

Looks like Pearl Jam played University of Georgia April 16, 1992. My dorm was next to Legion Field. 

It was a University Union show. (Student union activities, basically.) I was a member. I could have likely gotten in for free. Otherwise, it was $3.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qF9EjbGlKfqvg9OPR1nkU4fxe9cF9w8c5ED4qAJvHzwH9CwoB7By7SliBK76Augd