2 3 4 5 6
Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/19/24 7:21 a.m.

We loved Blood Sugar Sex Magick when it came out, and listened to it a lot. But it hasn't aged as well as it could have, and frankly,  RHCP never did anything nearly as good before or since.

Now, this guy and this music are still going strong.  This was one of my other top choices:

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/19/24 8:10 a.m.

Ill admit, mndsm, that the great milenko is still in rotation in my cd wallet. 

My wife and daughter hate it.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
6/19/24 8:12 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Beck is such a chameleon, you could pick an album from each decade of his work and they could each, separately and distinctly, pull you back to that decade. His personal story is pretty wild, too. Definitely an artist.

Margie

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/19/24 8:20 a.m.

Best? 

The Story Behind the Cover of Metallica's Black Album

But there were a E36 M3 ton of fantastic albums released through that decade. Counting Crows, Cranberries No Need to Argue, Seven Mary 3, Matchbox 20, Three Days Grace, Seether, Puddle of Mudd.... and don't kill me but.... Ace of Base. Seriously fun album there. Lets not forget Boys II Men Cooleyhighharmony and II (what late 40's male didn't play "I'll make love to you" back then with candles in dim light at least once and it worked?). For the country side there was Shania, Brooks and Dunn, Garth.... 

Folks lets just stop and realize that the 90's were literally the high point in awesome music. There. I said it. Fight me. 

Marjorie Suddard
6/19/24 8:23 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

No fight, but I did just recall another favorite from the decade:

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/19/24 8:25 a.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

I almost forgot one of the iconic ones:

A nude infant swimming in blue-tinted water toward a dollar bill which is attached to a fishhook on a string.

Marjorie Suddard
6/19/24 8:26 a.m.

Seems like the time to mention this:

as Phil Spector demonstrates, murderers make great musicians.

edit: Also doesn't hurt to have an actual musician's coattails to ride.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/19/24 8:28 a.m.

I never really liked hole.... wow that sounds so wrong to say outloud.

A plain black background with a gold foil title in script

OK, I think we could just about list every album release fomr 1991-2000 and it wouldn't really suck.

Marjorie Suddard
6/19/24 8:31 a.m.

Courtney Love is probably the only person in the world who could've made Hole seem even more wrong, but props to her, she did it.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
6/19/24 8:57 a.m.

so many other greats already mentioned but I wonder how many would remember this one?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/19/24 9:14 a.m.

Y'all have posted so much of my 90s collection, some real favorites and some "oh snap, I forgot about that one!" Throwing Copper, so good. Seal, another great one. Sugar, yes please.

6/19/24 9:18 a.m.

In reply to JG and clutchsmoke :

I see your Downward Spiral and I raise you Pretty Hate Machine. PHM blew me away every bit as severely as Appetite For Destruction did a few years earlier.

Marjorie Suddard
6/19/24 9:20 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Appetite for Destruction and Spike were the two albums that let me know the '80s were almost over and music was gonna be okay.

Margie

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/19/24 9:23 a.m.

I didn't really deal with the 80's music much. I was a late bloomer (15 before I really started listening to good stuff, which put me into 1990). Use your Illusions (I and II) were pretty good and made me think I liked GNR, then I listened to the old stuff and was like "WTF?" 

With that said there was some decent metal in the 80's. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado said:

Trent is right, but MoAM's Made From Technetium is certainly a contender.

I very nearly went with Treepeople - Guilt Regret Embarrassment, fwiw.

Totally yes on Man or Astro-man?, and I’m going to nominate their debut album in all its 1993 glory since it just rocked our little worlds. 

True story: Way, way back in the day, when they drove around towing a trailer full of TVs and AV gear, it wore a GRM sticker. :) 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
jfryjfry said:

so many other greats already mentioned but I wonder how many would remember this one?

I have that one, plus Liquidizer, PLUS, I saw them live.

The '90s were a high point of music, agreed.

But not THE high point.  There isn't one.  Great stuff gets made every day.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/19/24 9:28 a.m.

ive seen mike doughty/"soul coughing" twice, many years apart. Talked to him both times and both times he was AWESOME! Super nice guy. 

6/19/24 9:42 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Appetite for Destruction and Spike were the two albums that let me know the '80s were almost over and music was gonna be okay.

Margie

You are one of maybe 3 people on the planet who would point to Guns and Elvis in the same sentence. I need to listen to Spike again.

10001110101 Reader
6/19/24 9:49 a.m.

When MTV was still MTV, kind of.

I wore this cassette out multiple times.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/19/24 9:51 a.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

I saw Soul Coughing, too. I want to say they opened for They Might Be Giants in Orlando. 

11110000 Reader
6/19/24 10:07 a.m.

Didn't see this one yet.  This was when the band really came into their own:

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/19/24 10:20 a.m.

In reply to 10001110101 :

You're old. You said "cassette"!

10001110101 Reader
6/19/24 10:52 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Indeed. I completely ignored the thread title by posting a cassette, and multiples from the 90's. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/19/24 11:21 a.m.
Duke said:

But not THE high point.  There isn't one.  Great stuff gets made every day.

Music is a bit like car styling -- for most people their taste gets formed when they're in their late teens and remains largely frozen for the rest of their life.  For me music peaked in 1987 and by 2000 or so I mostly wasn't interested.  That's not an absolute of course, I do occasionally hear newer stuff that I like but most of it is consciously emulating the sound of an earlier era.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/19/24 11:46 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

True story- 

I saw Boyz II Men play at Disney a few years ago. Disney does this thing called Food and Wine and within that there's always live concerts called "Eat to the Beat" They're included with your admission, and it's always a rotating menagerie of who was at one point. I've seen Sugar Ray, Soul Asylum, Mickey Thomas and the smoldering remains of Jefferson Starship, Tiffany, Baha Men (this one was shockingly fun. Did you know they still make music?)probably others i've forgotten about....... and Boyz II Men. The amount of middle aged women absolutely losing their berkeleying minds over these three men was HILARIOUS. They gave out roses at one point and I swear I thought Karen and Becca were gonna Macho Man elbow drop each other for these things. 10/10 would watch again just for that. 

Also- their spouses hate each other and they have to stay on opposite sides of the resort because they can't behave around each other. The things you learn when you know the people you know. 

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VYCoJUE3EL0g3DDOLAemILgOkFFtfGT6x2ORmroMAKGALBBKpgJthxFJr8ze4chV