Shadeux
Shadeux SuperDork
7/18/24 5:17 p.m.

The master of the pause...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/18/24 5:19 p.m.

Yeah, Newhart was a funny guy.

His bits as Professor Proton on Big Bang Theory almost made Sheldon Cooper's character tolerable.  I was glad to see him with a recurring gig later in life.

Kind of a shame he didn't sign that "Arthur Jeffries" instead of "Bob Newhart".  That seems like the kind of thing he would do.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
7/18/24 5:27 p.m.

Newhart and Don Rickles were Best Friends. Making dinner and can't find link but do yourself a favor and look up:

Bob and Don, a Love Story.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
7/18/24 6:04 p.m.

That guy was hilarious.  RIP

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UberDork
7/18/24 6:06 p.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
7/18/24 6:07 p.m.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/18/24 7:27 p.m.

Bye Bob. This sucks. He's been my favorite comedian since I was about 10 years old.  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R5TTA4f7Q3E

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/18/24 7:33 p.m.

Genius silenced. 

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
7/18/24 7:41 p.m.
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/18/24 7:52 p.m.

I'm way sadder about this than I was last week, which is unreasonable.  Bob was old as E36 M3, led a good life, did E36 M3 his way.  

The local radio station had a half hour comedy show, either Saturday or Sunday, 1:00pm in the 60s when I was but a child.  The ones I remember, other than the song by ?Alan? somebody about the letters home from camp, was Bob.  The bus driver training was glorious to a 10 year old. ("Well, you didn't quite hit the brakes and gas in the right sequence.  That rider only rolled halfway to the back of the bus.")

He made me laugh, and had a genius touch of adding odd characters to his sitcoms.

Speaking to a producer who said they could get more jokes if he sped his delivery: "That stammer bought me house in the Hollywood hills."

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
7/18/24 8:31 p.m.
etifosi said:

Newhart and Don Rickles were Best Friends. Making dinner and can't find link but do yourself a favor and look up:

Bob and Don, a Love Story.

They used to vacation together, along with their wives.  One of the funniest things that I've ever seen was the two of them touring Europe. Rickles had a camcorder, filmed something, made a joke and turned it off.

Except he didn't turn it off. 

For the next few minutes, it was the two of them walking around in a strange place, making jokes about everything they saw, thinking they were off camera the whole time. And lots of video of their shoes. It was absolutely hilarious. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/18/24 8:51 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

That vacation video is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. They interviewed him a few years ago in XM about his friendship with Rickles and he had the best stories. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
7/18/24 10:22 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

That really was one of the most creative endings ever. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/18/24 11:08 p.m.
02Pilot said:

Best series finale ever.

That was hilarious.  Letterman just posted a tribute video, and in it Bob explained how that came about - it was his real wife's idea.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/19/24 3:39 a.m.

I guess I'll need to go back and rewatch since I was fairly young. Born in '82.

I just always thought "it was a dream" was a lazy literary device. For anything. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pYJhy5Lc3IkLYop8O7gkcO5T42hGsC1eAaENnLBr7s5tn0XGjw4RexepVLYDFCQd