WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
6/11/24 6:07 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

I kept stepping it up slowly until getting pressure signs. 

Normally I stick to known loads, but my 10mm is the other one I tinkered with a lot. My Rock really seems to like the 1375fps range. 

WOW Really Paul?
6/12/24 10:35 p.m.

I accidentally again....LGS had an order come in and they mistakenly ordered a Shield Plus in super carry(those seem to sit in my area). Got asked if I wanted it for dealer cost and decided why not since I knew where to get ammo for it. After shooting it a bit at home, I don't understand the hate towards them. Extremely controllable and very accurate for a 'small' pistol even though it is pretty much a magnum class 32 cal. 
Obligatory pictures.

380, 9mm, 30 sc, & 10mm. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/13/24 8:19 a.m.

In reply to WOW Really Paul? :

Sorry, I don't recognize any of those small calibers, can you put it next to something I can recognize? 

cheeky

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/13/24 8:24 a.m.

My buddy got one of those and I tried it. I like the shield plus in general, and you get great capacity with the 30 super carry. For me the main thing is the ammo is 2x the cost of 9mm. Been seeing them on sales and rebates for a few months, I assume because they're not super popular. Considering the deals I've seen on them I hope you got it for a steal!

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/13/24 10:51 a.m.

I got a M&P 2.0 with the 4" barrel in 9mm and I like it (I should post a photo).  I am not sure it will replace my VP9 but it may. 

The whole M&P line has got much better over the last couple of years.  Especially the triggers.  My 2.0 has an excellent trigger.  Considering that they were known for at best "ok" triggers it is great to see that they are listening to their customers. 

I have been recommending M&P to people lately as cost versus performance is the main reason.  My 2.0 was almost half the cost of my VP9 and it is arguably equal if not better in terms of how it shoots and feels in the hand.  

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
6/13/24 11:07 a.m.

I have a M&P 45 M2.0 and love it. It's full size so you wouldn't want to conceal it but it does shoot very nice. 

Apparently, Mass State Police ordered them as 9mm and S&W built them as 45 ACP. S&W was unloading them for cheap. At $475, I had to get one. 

20220313_203012.jpg

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
6/13/24 8:59 p.m.

Well, after 4 years I finally got around to buying a better trigger for the 308. Went with a Larue, based on recommendations from friends and my available budget. Hoping it gets here and I can install it before next Saturdays planned outing. 

WOW Really Paul?
6/14/24 7:18 p.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) :

The target ammo is 2x 9mm, carry ammo is much closer. 

And Bob, I still haven't owned a 1911 in 45....lol All of mine have been in 38 Super or 10mm as I prefer not needing to affix a SMV sign to my projectiles. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/14/24 10:55 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Well, after 4 years I finally got around to buying a better trigger for the 308. Went with a Larue, based on recommendations from friends and my available budget. Hoping it gets here and I can install it before next Saturdays planned outing. 

You won't be disappointed. I have one in one of my ARs. 

stroker
stroker PowerDork
6/17/24 2:29 p.m.

Anyone here laid hands on a reasonably priced SAA lately?  Saw a magazine article about some new Taurus Deputy and had a hankering to fill a void in my collection.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/17/24 3:15 p.m.

In reply to WOW Really Paul? :

sometimes fat and slow are just what the doctor ordered. Plus they suppress REALLY well. 

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
6/17/24 6:51 p.m.

The only question here is why would someone do this.  NMNA

barefootcyborg5000
6/17/24 7:34 p.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

It's fine. Just look at it like a rat rod. It doesn't have to be practical or pretty. 

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/18/24 9:06 a.m.

Slow and fat ... chopped up SMLE's ... suppressors ... 

How about all three?    Behold, the Delisle Carbine in .45 ACP

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
6/19/24 5:03 p.m.

Finally got my Tisas Raider out to the range, and I have to say I'm impressed.  Really good trigger, shot both 115g and 147g ammo with no complaints, and reasonably accuracy.  9mm is so nice to shoot out of a full-sized, steel gun!

We were shooting at the NRA Whittington Center in Raton, NM on our homeward leg of a race trip to CO.  It's a fantastic facility, with something like 20 different ranges on the property.  Below is the 'Star' range that has steel from 50 to a little over 600 yards.  The yellow arrow is where the 600 yard steel is...

I was making hits out to around 550yds on a 12" steel with my 5.56 'Travel' AR (PSA 16" gun w/ LPVO), but that was a little hit/miss with cheapo ball ammo.  Out to ~350, it was pretty easy to make hits on slightly smaller targets.

If you're ever in Northern NM, the Whittington Center is about 10 minutes off I25, and worth spending a day shooting.

They have ranges out over 1000yds, so next time, I'm definitely bringing my 6.5CM long range gun... cheeky

barefootcyborg5000
6/19/24 9:35 p.m.
dean1484 said:
barefootcyborg5000 said:

You won't be disappointed. I have one in one of my ARs. 

It's really good. The 308 had way too much take up at what felt like a dirty 6# and a very mushy release. Now there's about 75% less take up, and at a very clean 2# and with a very crisp release. My only regret is not getting one when they were $75. 

barefootcyborg5000
6/23/24 1:32 a.m.

Got out this morning early to try a few things. Started with the flintlock since I haven't run it in forever. Got one shot off and then it was too fouled for another shot. Fairly sure that's down to bad powder. 

22 is so much fun. Soda cans at 200y shouldn't be this easy. Tested groups at 100 against my buddy's Gray Birch carbon thing. We couldn't tell a difference between his $1500 rifle any my $500 one. I did experience that thing where my heartbeat could be seen through the higher power magnification. I did try to lob a couple out at the farther targets, but no dice. I'm not sure 22 is really capable of 700+ yards in anything resembling stable flight. So out came the 308s. First shot rang true, so that was very satisfying. New trigger is awesome. Better scope is needed. Got out to the 1000y mark but didn't have the time or bullets to really study that out. 

Also fired a 300wm for the first time. What a brute. 

Then is was 105f so we called it. I think I spent $100 today. Oops. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
6/23/24 2:28 p.m.

I feel like buying something ridiculous for fun

A Taurus Public Defender Poly?

A BFR in 30-30 or 45-70?

50 Beowulf upper?

Something 327mag?( not so ridiculous but I don't really have a use for one)

A 480 Ruger?

A KSG25 and feed it mini shells?

Decisions decisions 

WOW Really Paul?
6/23/24 3:04 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

AR10 platform in 45 Raptor? You'd make Bob 'MOIST'....lol

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
6/23/24 3:23 p.m.

10/22 Charger with a binary trigger?  

barefootcyborg5000
6/23/24 3:59 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

The answer is obviously blunderbus

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
6/23/24 8:10 p.m.
WOW Really Paul? said:

In reply to Antihero :

AR10 platform in 45 Raptor? You'd make Bob 'MOIST'....lol

Interesting, but I'd probably stick with AR-15 uppers.

Also BFRs have gone up substantially since I last looked so that's a no lol

brandonsmash
brandonsmash Reader
6/23/24 8:32 p.m.

In reply to Antihero : 

327 Mag is a great round. It's hampered by lack of general availability and it's a pain in the butt if you also reload 357, but the round itself is solid; it's nice having 6 rounds in a J-frame.

That being said, why not look at something in 22 TCM? I'm something of an acolyte for the cartridge. I even had a custom AR built around it, and have another on the way. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
6/24/24 12:14 a.m.
brandonsmash said:

In reply to Antihero : 

327 Mag is a great round. It's hampered by lack of general availability and it's a pain in the butt if you also reload 357, but the round itself is solid; it's nice having 6 rounds in a J-frame.

That being said, why not look at something in 22 TCM? I'm something of an acolyte for the cartridge. I even had a custom AR built around it, and have another on the way. 

327 in an air light N Frame would be cool if they did it. I imagine it's a 10 shot at that point.

22tcm is a cool idea too

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/24/24 8:52 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Another suggestion:

AR .45-70 Auto

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u1qNckScPP5E5EnesRuD0zQdHXy9sgqfT5cGV0ozEnj10dKe5zDsRyMdzgbxqiqS