dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/21/24 8:29 p.m.

So would you?

I was offered a like new H&K P7. I have wanted one for a long time. This would be part of my "Collection". Obviously this is not a edc type thing. It is a really interesting and unique pistol with some historical significance.  

The catch?  It is $3,500. I have seen them at 7k and as little as 2.5k for well used examples.   I also have the minor problem of come the end of October I will no longer be able to purchase one. 

So should I?  I have never actually shot one. Do they suck to shoot?   Yes I collect guns but if it is a poor shooter I would be inclined to pass and combine that with the $$$ I was going to spend on a checkmate and get a Terintactical 2011

I am planning on making a couple of significant purchases due to the drop dead date with the new laws but then the p7 popped up.  I need a good competition gun and I have to make that purchase before that date.  The other option is an atlas Athena but I like the TT better.  But we are at this point picking between supermodels. One is a blond and one is a redhead. Both are spectacular!  

So would you get the P7 or get a significantly better competition gun.  Checkmate plus a p7 is 7k or a TT at 7k or a Athena at 5k (no p7 with the Athena). 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
8/22/24 1:46 a.m.

Grassroots furniture sports!

my kids unknowingly contributed 3" of pool noodle, and I added some leather I claimed from a dumpster-couch to create a very reasonable cheek pad for my T1X:

It looks loose in the pic because it wasn't actually stitched on yet. But it is now. Eager to see how it drives. 

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
8/22/24 2:47 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I remember when you could pick them up for $600-700 on gunbroker... can still find some for possibly under $2k... but would have to bid and see if get lucky - zero "buy nows" on P7s since everyone knows they are worth something to somebody. Kind of like the PSL-54Cs.... bought one new for ~$700, can hardly find them offered for anything under $2k now. It's not a $2k rifle...

Supposed to shoot decently since fixed polygonal rifled barrel but for $3500...nah couple hundred more would get a brand new Laugo Arms Alien Performance  from Lancer Systems... and that is a pistol worth the asking cost.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/22/24 8:21 a.m.

In reply to Vracer111 :

The alien does look quite interesting. 

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/22/24 8:32 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Personally I'd have to say go for a competition gun. I don't know what the collecting aspect means to you, but I can almost guarantee a competition gun will get shot more and be substantially more fun to shoot. Especially at that price range, you can get something pretty darn sweet. 

Rodan
Rodan UberDork
8/22/24 8:55 a.m.

Dean and I are of a 'certain age' where the P7 is something pretty special.  It was always on my list, but was always an expensive gun, and prices now are truly nuts.  I have never fired one, and have heard mixed opinions from those that have.  They reportedly get very hot when fired extensively.  They're a little awkward in a holster because all of the mass is in the grip.

I'm not enough of an expert to know all the ins/outs of P7s and why one is $2500 and one is $6k, but $3500 does seem a bit high for a typical P7M8.  If a P7 is a must have, I'd have a long look on GunBroker, 'cause I don't think that $3500 is all that great a deal.

HK isn't making any more P7s.  'Competition' guns these days are not in any kind of shortage, though a wait may be involved for something semi-custom.  I have a number of guns in my safe that rarely go to the range, but give me great pleasure to own, so it's not always about the round count.

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
8/22/24 4:13 p.m.

I thought long and hard about getting a P7 way back and I do get the historical aspect of it. To me though, I like arms that can run without complications - and simply can't do that with a P7. It has to be babied / allowed to cool down between shots/mags - dumping a mag will make it unbelieveably hot and you'll need to let it sit for a while until it cools back down. It's strictly for self defense use/ range toy infrequent use. I'm not a collector type and simply didn't want to spend more than a modern pistol and have to consciously shoot really slow and spaced out which is why ended up not going with one even though they are an interesting pistol and were about $700 at the time for a decent condition one.

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
8/22/24 4:49 p.m.

🫠

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
8/22/24 5:17 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

GP100s have never got the respect they deserve, I'm a huge fan of mine

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/26/24 8:54 a.m.

I have the GP100's predecessor, the Security Six.   It's not slick, but by golly it works.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/26/24 10:56 a.m.

Finally found 7.5 Swiss in stock at a reasonable price and the shipment arrived.  I will be taking my K1911 and K31 out this week.  I have never shot the K31 I have.  My son cleaned and lubed it over the weekend but due to stuff going on, we never made it to the range.  I am looking forward to shooting these.  I have shot the K1911 and like it.  Just an honest rifle.  Great trigger and extremely accurate.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/1/24 1:38 a.m.

So this happened today. I found a great deal on a new old stock one.  Just unbelievable. They say you can't purchase talent but dam do I shoot better with it. I was ripping through steel challenge stages today with this. I can shoot so fast and so accurate it is just crazy.  A late birthday present to my self.  It took a while to dial in the optic and I still need to put the charging Handel on it but this is an absolute incredible pistol. Makes some of the pistols that cost twice as much seem not so good. Its greatest party trick is recoil mitigation.  You don't loose sight of the dot as/when you shoot making transitions unbelievably fast.  

I need to find a holster for it. I am hoping that the CZ 75 / shadow 2 speed draw ones are compatible.  

Sorry for the dark photo I will get a shot on a dark background with brighter lighting next time I pull it out  

Rodan
Rodan UberDork
9/1/24 11:25 a.m.

Happiness is a full case of boolits...

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/1/24 3:27 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

I had one of those yesterday.   The operative word is had. lol.  😂.   Four of us went shooting yesterday and now I have 4 boxes left.   

Fast pistols require a lot of feeding.  

Oh and this came in.  

A bucket list purchase for me as well today.  

If you are interested in one and can find one in stock scoop it up. The wholesale cost has gone up by $400 +/-.  Retail on these will be 2k+ once dealers re order.  If you can find one for 1.6-1.7k scoop it up if it is on your bucket list.  

I know this because a friend of mine is an FFL and he lets me access the wholesale price list.  Our deal is my price is halfway between wholesale and retail. After all he is in this to feed his family. I was going to have him order me one but then I saw the new pricing that he would have to pay I was surprised. I called another FFL I know and he still had a couple in stock that he would let go at the old price.

So this has been an expensive weekend but well worth it in the long run.  These are investment grade things that while will not make as much as had I left the $$ invested however I look at the return as being the fun I have shooting and competing with these things and down the road I will not loose $$.   As long as I stay even with inflation with this stuff I am fine with it. Kind of like car racing.  Actually I am betting my gun hobby is cheeper than my car racing hobby use to be.  

Rodan
Rodan UberDork
9/1/24 3:36 p.m.

I like that P210...  almost bought one locally that another range regular was selling, but I missed it by about 30 seconds.  I later shot one, and they are really nice guns, but ultimately I decided there were other guns that I would prefer to spend the $$ on.

The other side of the equation is that I just can't shoot bullseye (one handed offhand) like I used to, and I can't really do the high end target guns justice.  I have a Hammerli 208 that's spectacular, but I don't really shoot it any better than I do my High Standard Victor, or .22 1911 Kimber.

Is the CZ Comp gun above a 9mm?  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/1/24 3:59 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Yes it is 9mm. That is a CZ czechmate.  It is a complete race gun.  But it comes with a second barrel and a much smaller comp and irons so you can shoot in lower production classes. It is like getting three pistols in one. That was a big reason for why I got it and I have always shot anything CZ makes really well. I love the Shadow line of pistols. I can configure this to compete with them just that this is a step up from a shadow.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/1/24 5:58 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

So what you are saying is you now have a tactical pool noodle. 😁😂

barefootcyborg5000
9/1/24 9:35 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I suppose, though I'm not sure how tactical a bolt-22 is regardless of attachments. 
Mostly I'm trying to be cheap, since I've already spent more on that rifle than I really should have for 22. But it is so much fun. 

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
9/2/24 5:39 a.m.

Nice couple of competition pistols there Dean! P210s and Czechmates would be the one's I'd like if were more into pistols than rifles.

Absolutely decided I want to get rid of my Sig Cross. It's a nice gun that shoots well, but held back by it's trigger and am looking to do a semi custom build. Am currently in process of building a 100% completely custom precision 6mm ARC AR-15 rifle [every part down to the springs/pins I've thought about and selected/ ordered - currently waiting on the last few parts (lower, stock, and handguard) and just sent barrel out for gas block dimpling and feed ramp polishing] and want to replace the .308 Cross with a 6mm ARC build based off a 20" Howa 1500 mini barreled action and JTAC industries Elf Owl chassis with a new folding pic-rail stock that Samson just brought out (their S.A.S II tactical folding stock).

Selling the entire Cross setup at big loss will still cover the 6mm ARC build no problem. And If I don't like the stock Howa HACT 2-stage trigger there are options available. Magazines are the only drawback to the Howa 1500 mini action, only ones available are the factory 5 rounders...I don't mind shooting single loading most of the time anyways... so not a big deal, but would be nice to have some 10 round options like the regular Howa 1500 short action.

Really looking forward getting on with the 6mm ARC precision gas gun build. Running a Faxon 20" Match Series heavy fluted barrel with Foster bolt carrier/Faxon 6.5 Grendel Type II bolt, Superlative Arms adjustable bleed off gas block, Aero precision forged upper with no forward assist and the new Pro series MOD 4 hand guard [15" Kodiak Brown anodized] they just released (should finally ship out in about a week - Aero is about 3 weeks behind, called them last week and they said expect to start shipping out end of next week). Lower receiver is a Sharps Bros forged Livewire (really like how it looks with the extra flared magwell, built in trigger guard, and ambi-bolt release) and trigger a Triggertech Diamond two-stage. Going with heavy adjustable buffer from Odin Works (adjustable from 3.07oz  to ~5.8oz) and the stock will be the new DLG Tactical Modular Precision Buttstock, which shipping date from Optics Planet keeps getting pushed back...

Oh yeah, if you want an awesome deal on an Aero Precision M4E1 stripped upper with no forward assist, Optics Planet has 1 left in FDE cerakote for $87! They normally are ~$150ish retail... Also black anodized regular assembled forward assist version available on backorder (ships in 5-7 weeks) for $88... half off!

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/3/24 9:36 a.m.

Took the P210 out and it does not disappoint. Extremely accurate and flat shooting. Everything you would expect it to be. 

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
9/3/24 10:22 p.m.

Farewell mr. Harrell, finally succumbed to the cancer. Will be missed.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/4/24 12:55 p.m.

In reply to Vracer111 :

Ya I saw that last night.  Sad day.  He will be missed

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/5/24 10:51 a.m.

In reply to Vracer111 :

I came here to post this. Thank you for posting it first. He was one of the best.

barefootcyborg5000
9/5/24 5:08 p.m.

For anyone looking for pistol safety stuff, Stopbox is running BOGO for their pistol safes, and free shipping with an email code. 

barefootcyborg5000
9/10/24 3:55 p.m.

Once again, the desire for a Judge is strong. 
Something about the possibility of loading some smoke-powder 300gr freight trains, alternated with 000 buckshot, appeals to my inner caveman. I just wish there was something between the regular 3" offering and the 6.5" big boy. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kOPczw9mrGCRLkWkk2JidD8ec5dAguf7jswIfWuVSsEiYwKrVSSWkS61sK8cvKuB