ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 HalfDork
3/21/17 4:18 p.m.

In reply to Burrito:

The Gorge is great! Somehow I usually end up heading out towards Newburg, Carlton, Nestucca, etc.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
3/21/17 8:01 p.m.

Schrödinger's Flight Service
Schrödinger's Flight Service MegaDork
3/22/17 6:30 a.m.
ae86andkp61 wrote: In reply to Burrito: The Gorge is great! Somehow I usually end up heading out towards Newburg, Carlton, Nestucca, etc.

Nice motard wheels there. Care to elaborate?

3/22/17 6:34 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Our club just bought a Grob 103 Astir from Germany with 800 hours on it. 40:1 glide ratio!

Is flight time really a big deal for gliders?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/22/17 7:22 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/22/17 7:28 a.m.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
3/22/17 7:52 a.m.
914Driver wrote:

the grease zerk is a nice touch

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/22/17 8:00 a.m.
Schrödinger's Flight Service wrote: Is flight time really a big deal for gliders?

I like the challenge. If you want to get from point A to point B, no, this isn't it. If you want to get dropped off at 3,000 feet above the ground and stay aloft until dark, this is the stuff. 40:1 says you can fly conservatively 6 miles for every 1,000 feet of altitude in a no wind situation. Imagine skipping tree top level a few miles from home and "knowing" you can make it back. It's the challenge.

My friend Tony flying the Cascades in Washington.

The visibility is amazing!

3/22/17 8:19 a.m.
914Driver wrote:
Schrödinger's Flight Service wrote: Is flight time really a big deal for gliders?
I like the challenge. If you want to get from point A to point B, no, this isn't it. If you want to get dropped off at 3,000 feet above the ground and stay aloft until dark, this is the stuff. 40:1 says you can fly conservatively 6 miles for every 1,000 feet of altitude in a no wind situation. Imagine skipping tree top level a few miles from home and "knowing" you can make it back. It's the challenge. My friend Tony flying the Cascades in Washington. The visibility is amazing!

Ahh so the 800 hours isn't the special part, the 40:1 is.

I am used to aricraft discussions where the operating hours is of a big concern.

mandatory hotlink

3/22/17 8:19 a.m.
Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
3/22/17 8:34 a.m.

Hard to explain why, but I love these vintage racing photos:

Notice anything out of place here?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/22/17 8:40 a.m.

40:1 is exceptional for a trainer. We just sold a Blanik, a 28:1 for the same money as the Grob. Blaniks are desirable by start up clubs because they can sleep outside.
800 hours is pretty young, almost everything I've seen has 2 - 4k hrs. Mine (above) has ~1500.

This is ridge running.

3/22/17 8:42 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy:

lack of adequate roll over protection?

I wonder where 184 finished.

3/22/17 8:44 a.m.
914Driver wrote: 40:1 is exceptional for a trainer. We just sold a Blanik, a 28:1 for the same money as the Grob. Blaniks are desirable by start up clubs because they can sleep outside. 800 hours is pretty young, almost everything I've seen has 2 - 4k hrs. Mine (above) has ~1500. This is ridge running.

Looks almost like field plowing with the right tip! Glad that is only a sim.

MSFSX?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/22/17 8:57 a.m.

Ridge running, Mifflin, Pa. You can cover a lot of ground.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
3/22/17 9:09 a.m.

This made me LOL.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
3/22/17 9:58 a.m.
ae86andkp61 wrote: In reply to Burrito: The Gorge is great! Somehow I usually end up heading out towards Newburg, Carlton, Nestucca, etc.

Nestucca! I like the primitive camp sites along the river and the road to Beaver!

(Beaver image deleted to preserve decorum)

You can also ride the east side of the ridge all the way down to above Sheridan and Willamina.

14 north of Camas is 2 lane (cool tunnels) and there is the Old Columbia River Highway on our side.

I much prefer going south and west from Cornholio.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' Dork
3/22/17 10:08 a.m.
bentwrench wrote:
Nestucca! I like the primitive camp sites along the river and the road to Beaver! (Beaver image deleted to preserve decorum) You can also ride the east side of the ridge all the way down to above Sheridan and Willamina. 14 north of Camas is 2 lane (cool tunnels) and there is the Old Columbia River Highway on our side. I much prefer going south and west from Cornholio.

Wait, are you saying that if you go South of Beaver, you wind up at Cornholio???

Burrito
Burrito Dork
3/22/17 10:36 a.m.
bentwrench wrote:
Nestucca! I like the primitive camp sites along the river and the road to Beaver! (Beaver image deleted to preserve decorum) You can also ride the east side of the ridge all the way down to above Sheridan and Willamina. 14 north of Camas is 2 lane (cool tunnels) and there is the Old Columbia River Highway on our side. I much prefer going south and west from Cornholio.

I spent all day Sunday riding up north of Washougal and Camas. Beautiful roads out that way. SR14 East of Camas is pretty fantastic in places.

Dougan Falls has a LOT of water moving through it right now.

This was my first real ride of the season and with a new D606 on the rear. That berkeleyer is deafening at highway speeds.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
3/22/17 11:12 a.m.
RX Reven' wrote:
bentwrench wrote:
Wait, are you saying that if you go South of Beaver, you wind up at Cornholio???

It's not that kind of beaver you filthy bastard!

thedanimal
thedanimal Reader
3/22/17 12:07 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/22/17 12:19 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/22/17 12:21 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/22/17 12:22 p.m.