etifosi SuperDork
4/4/17 9:33 a.m.

"I have decided to stick with love..."

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
4/4/17 10:39 a.m.
sesto elemento wrote:
racerdave600 wrote:
white_fly wrote: In reply to Knurled: I worked for Speedsource while they were running the GT class RX-8 in Grand-Am. Their muffler was roughly 3.5 feet long and 1 foot in diameter. They fabricated it from inconel and filled it with lava rocks because everything else just melted.
A friend bought an IT RX3 to race years ago with a lava rock muffler. The first race out it started spitting lava rocks at the cars behind him. He was not popular after the race! We used to race against the Speedsource guys back in the day in the old SpeedVision Cup. The black Supra was ours.
Havent got the wheels off that supra by any chance, have you? Are they these?

They were those. No, they went with the car many years ago. They were however custom built for the car. Sportscar required us to run an inch smaller wheel than stock, so they had to be "grooved" to clear the brake rotor.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
4/4/17 11:07 a.m.

One of my relatives was on the USS Monitor. Christopher (Christy) Price. He came here from County Galway, Ireland in 1850, with his brother Patrick (my great, great, great grandpa). Christy served in the Navy, and Patrick in Company C of the 11th New Jersey Infantry that was part of the Army of the Potomac.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/4/17 11:47 a.m.
Knurled wrote: The "You know how I know you don't know how rotaries fail" image:
Duke wrote:
Nothing about housing chrome flaking apart on pre-86 engines. Nothing about coolant seal lands breaking out on '86-02 engines. Nothing about excessive side housing wear on any engine where the moron ran it without an air filter. But yes, blather on about apex seals. Tell me the one about how modern cars suck because you can't fix the ignition system with a worn out silver dime and a brass screwdriver, or adjust the ignition timing with a lever on the steering wheel when you get a tank of bad gas.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/4/17 12:08 p.m.

white_fly
white_fly Reader
4/4/17 12:47 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
Knurled wrote:
white_fly wrote: In reply to Knurled: I worked for Speedsource while they were running the GT class RX-8 in Grand-Am. Their muffler was roughly 3.5 feet long and 1 foot in diameter. They fabricated it from inconel and filled it with lava rocks because everything else just melted.
Sounds like the MFR muffler. They came up with it pre-emptively in the 70s when one of them (maybe Yamamoto himself) noted that they could hear their RX-2s start and idle in the pits, from the other end of the circuit, while there were cars qualifying on track... Of course it's NLA now.
I built a pre-silencer for my FB out of a glass pack I cut in half, gutted all the fiberglass and stuffed with SS pot scrubbers, then welded back together. It worked very well.

I would guess you weren't running a 500hp three rotor on track for 24 hours at a time. The ST cars they ran had a much less substantial setup.

white_fly
white_fly Reader
4/4/17 12:51 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: A friend bought an IT RX3 to race years ago with a lava rock muffler. The first race out it started spitting lava rocks at the cars behind him. He was not popular after the race! We used to race against the Speedsource guys back in the day in the old SpeedVision Cup. The black Supra was ours.

Was this after the Bridgestone cup days? I've watched a few of those races and it's really interesting watching cars race on 90's street rubber.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
4/4/17 1:23 p.m.

We used spec Toyos at the time. These things were definitely not slow. The Supra went over 170mph on the banking at the Daytona race. At the time the only mods were the speed limiter defeat, and wheels and tires. It was still on it's 40K miles shocks and motor. The car prior to two weeks before the race was a magazine test car.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/4/17 1:37 p.m.
Duke wrote:

I hate this joke.

I get that even with my four kids. "Whoa man, don't you have a TV? Hahahaha", yes, because I don't have a TV, that's why I've done that four times in eleven years of marriage.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/4/17 1:40 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Duke wrote:
I hate this joke. I get that even with my four kids. "Whoa man, don't you have a TV? Hahahaha", yes, because I don't have a TV, that's why I've done that four times in eleven years of marriage.

I'd suggest we all get off your lawn, but with so many freeking kids there's probably no time for a lawn, just an overgrown yard.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
4/4/17 2:13 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Duke wrote:
I hate this joke. I get that even with my four kids. "Whoa man, don't you have a TV? Hahahaha", yes, because I don't have a TV, that's why I've done that four times in eleven years of marriage.

Yep. As a Dad with a family larger than the standard American 2.2 kids, that one rubs me the wrong way too. If watchin TV is better than what you're doing with your wife, your doing something wrong.

Required Hotlink:

(Related? ... perhaps)

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/4/17 2:20 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Duke wrote:

I come from a family of 4 kids myself. Of course, the one of us who had no business having kids at all is the one who had 4 herself. One of us had none, and the other 2 of us had 2 each. So I guess it averages out. I just saw no reason to have more than 2.

There is also a substantial difference between 4 kids and 8 kids.

Before some Debbie Downer comes and craps all over the funny, YES, I know the Groucho story is false.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/4/17 2:28 p.m.
Duke wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
Duke wrote:
I come from a family of 4 kids myself. Of course, the one of us who had no business having kids at all is the one who had 4 herself. One of us had none, and the other 2 of us had 2 each. So I guess it averages out. I just saw no reason to have more than 2. There is also a substantial difference between 4 kids and 8 kids. Before some Debbie Downer comes and craps all over the funny, *YES*, I *know* the Groucho story is false.

What, eight times in eleven years is too much?

I know four families with eight or more personally, they are all awesome families and great kids.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
4/4/17 2:39 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

seems related...

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
4/4/17 4:01 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Duke wrote:

Of course, by pointing that out, you asked for it...

(just kidding, my Mother in Law is one of 11)

or is it a question of

Probably went too far there... no harm meant...

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
4/4/17 4:23 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
Duke wrote:
Of course, by pointing that out, you asked for it... (just kidding, my Mother in Law is one of 11) or is it a question of Probably went too far there... no harm meant...

Just to stir the pot a bit.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
4/4/17 4:47 p.m.

Tip for aspiring child molesters:

Put those stickers on your van so people think you have a family and will trust you more around kids.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/4/17 7:49 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
Duke wrote:
I'd suggest we all get off your lawn, but with so many freeking kids there's probably no time for a lawn, just an overgrown yard.

I've got 4 kids.

I haven't cut grass in 20 years, unless I wanted to.

I still think it's a pretty funny joke.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
4/4/17 7:56 p.m.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
4/4/17 8:11 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I've got 4 kids. I haven't cut grass in 20 years, unless I wanted to. I still think it's a pretty funny joke.

Yeah, my mom had one kid and two jobs and she had an automatic dishwasher, until I moved out anyway.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/4/17 8:24 p.m.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 HalfDork
4/4/17 8:25 p.m.
Wall-e wrote:

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/4/17 8:25 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork