Wall-e MegaDork
4/5/17 7:50 a.m.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
4/5/17 7:51 a.m.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/5/17 7:51 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Homebuilt Vickers Vimy.

From the flag it's obviously down under. That's looks a bit bigger operation than homebuilt. I remember a documentary about WWI aircraft on NextFlix which featured a group in Oz that built 100% accurate replicas of WWI aircraft and I assume it's the same group. I don't recall the name but you should look it up. Very interesting on the development of the aircraft and the attitudes of the pilots of the time starting with saluting the enemy when you saw a fellow aviator in the first few months to the escalating arms race as the war progressed.

Related.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
4/5/17 7:53 a.m.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
4/5/17 7:53 a.m.

Who's house??????

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/5/17 9:50 a.m.

Before

After

Personally I'd go for a more tasteful interior color selection, but that's just me.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
4/5/17 10:45 a.m.

Karacticus
Karacticus HalfDork
4/5/17 11:24 a.m.

If I recall correctly, the replica used BMW V12s.

From wikipedia: A second flyable Vimy replica, NX71MY, was built in 1994 by an Australian-American team led by Lang Kidby and Peter McMillan, and this aircraft successfully recreated the three great pioneering Vimy flights: England to Australia flown by Lang Kidby and Peter McMillan (in 1994),[33] England to South Africa flown by Mark Rebholz and John LaNoue (1999) and in 2005, Alcock and Brown's 1919 Atlantic crossing was recreated, flown by Steve Fossett and Mark Rebholz. The aircraft was donated to Brooklands Museum in 2006 and was kept airworthy in order to commemorate the 90th anniversaries of the Transatlantic and Australian flights until retired in late 2009. Its final flight was made by John Dodd, Clive Edwards and Peter McMillan from Dunsfold to Brooklands on 15 November 2009 and four days later, in just 18 hours, the aircraft was dismantled, transported the short distance to the Museum and reassembled inside the main hangar by a dedicated volunteer team. Two days later a special Brooklands Vimy Exhibition was officially opened by Peter McMillan, and this unique aircraft is now on public display there.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
4/5/17 11:26 a.m.

A rare photo of a challenge veteran as well as a very accurate hat.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/5/17 12:45 p.m.
Karacticus wrote:
If I recall correctly, the replica used BMW V12s. From wikipedia: A second flyable Vimy replica, NX71MY, was built in 1994 by an Australian-American team led by Lang Kidby and Peter McMillan, and this aircraft successfully recreated the three great pioneering Vimy flights: England to Australia flown by Lang Kidby and Peter McMillan (in 1994),[33] England to South Africa flown by Mark Rebholz and John LaNoue (1999) and in 2005, Alcock and Brown's 1919 Atlantic crossing was recreated, flown by Steve Fossett and Mark Rebholz. The aircraft was donated to Brooklands Museum in 2006 and was kept airworthy in order to commemorate the 90th anniversaries of the Transatlantic and Australian flights until retired in late 2009. Its final flight was made by John Dodd, Clive Edwards and Peter McMillan from Dunsfold to Brooklands on 15 November 2009 and four days later, in just 18 hours, the aircraft was dismantled, transported the short distance to the Museum and reassembled inside the main hangar by a dedicated volunteer team. Two days later a special Brooklands Vimy Exhibition was officially opened by Peter McMillan, and this unique aircraft is now on public display there.

And the BMWs kept breaking. They were replaced with big block Chevys. Problem solved.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/5/17 1:44 p.m.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
4/5/17 3:26 p.m.

Over 8,000 names, and not so much as an honorable mention.

white_fly
white_fly Reader
4/5/17 7:22 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/5/17 8:54 p.m.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
4/6/17 6:03 a.m.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
4/6/17 7:44 a.m.