J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
7/16/24 4:36 p.m.

That's The Impression That I Get.

Okay, I'll walk myself out.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/16/24 4:49 p.m.

Wish I had more photos from back then, but you didn’t just walk around with an SLR. I actually met Gabe at a Skif Dank show. We hit it off. Soon after, he was working at GRM. 

David S. Wallens
7/16/24 4:51 p.m.

Some more from way, way back in the day–for JG’s benefit if anything. I know I have this cassette somewhere. Might even have two copies. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/16/24 5:02 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I actually met Gabe at a Skif Dank show. We hit it off. Soon after, he was working at GRM. 

That's called networking, kids.

preach
preach UltraDork
7/16/24 5:20 p.m.

Been listening to Ska for almost 40 years. It's not dead to this fella.

First introduced to after a fight against not nice skinheads as I was a punk and we did not get along really well. I was busy pushing my fists into noses, and pushing my nose into fists, when I was finally getting beaten pretty good an enormous hand (I was probably 5' 10" and 135 at the time) knuckled on to me and flat out yarded me behind him. It was the biggest black guy I had ever seen (I grew up in a mixed area and color was part of our reason for fighting the skinheads), probably 6'8" and near 300# but jacked, shaved head glistening, boots and bracers and clothing really really neat/somewhat tidy. After he introduced himself as Skab and learned me everything I needed to love about Ska. This was '86/87 I think. I never knew until then there were ska skinheads that were super cool.

Been a staple in my speaker/ears ever since.

David S. Wallens
7/16/24 5:44 p.m.

I don’t recall ever being on his route, but Sam the Busdriver at my school district had/still has a ska band: the Scofflaws.

Will
Will UberDork
7/16/24 6:19 p.m.

Ska's still around. The Interrupters are a great example of a current ska band.

I've seen Save Ferris live four times, first in '99 and most recently last July. I've also seen Reel Big Fish. 

Also: the only musical fan base that has ever scared me was for the Aquabats. That's a level of fanaticism I wasn't prepared for.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom MegaDork
7/16/24 6:35 p.m.

Ska is helping me in the shop this very afternoon.

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
7/16/24 7:27 p.m.

We used to get The Toasters, The Pietasters and Bim Skala Bim through my friend's bar back in the 90's. I still listen to all of them.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
7/16/24 7:46 p.m.

I was in a Ska band called Suspender Symphony for about a week back in 1996. It was my friend's younger brother's band, and he played bass. A girl I liked dated the old drummer, who left the band, and she broke up with him for doing that. My teenage logic (and my friend's younger brother) told me that if I stepped in behind the kit, I'd get the girl as a bonus, since she was into Ska drummers. 

Yeah, no. It doesn't work that way. They got back together when he joined another Ska band. 

So I left that band and started a Metal band called TRENCH WARFARE! (Yes, all caps with the exclamation point) with some other friends. That was more fun with 100% less ladies to have to worry about, because we were solely focused on playing totally shredtastic riffs heavier than your Grandma's Buick. 

Fun Fact: I own my friend's younger brother's bass that he played while in that band; he sold it to me years ago when he stopped playing. As soon as I got it, I knew EXACTLY what strap to get. Always reminds me of that one week I played in a Ska band. wink

David S. Wallens
7/16/24 8:34 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Despite being about ska, that post is metal AF. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
7/16/24 8:53 p.m.

If you like/love ska, you goto Ska Brewing out in Durango Colorado. They have lots of live shows and good beers.

Besides that, when local music was a thing, late 90's early 00's, in GR MI, you listened to Mustard Plug, the local ska band.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/16/24 8:55 p.m.

I mentioned this thread to my wife. She loves Ska. And the way she dances she could only fit in in a Ska band. She's been playing Madness for the last half hour!

David S. Wallens
7/16/24 9:35 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

“To the station!”

Oh, wait, that was the Motörhead episode.

Madness:

David S. Wallens
7/16/24 9:40 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

And I’m assuming you’ve seen this?

And check this out: All these decades later, Madness lagely still has the classic lineup.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
7/16/24 10:49 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

We want Freddy for our leader.   Freddy... Is a man of class. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
7/16/24 10:52 p.m.

And yeah, a ska and swing station is one of my most listened to on Pandora..

David S. Wallens
7/17/24 4:40 p.m.

Adding some recent Fishbone to the conversation (although sounds like there has been a falling out over there).

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom MegaDork
7/17/24 4:47 p.m.

Well dang.

I was dropping by the thread thinking about my appreciation of the general silliness I associate with ska. Bit of an awkward turn from trouble at Fishbone.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
7/17/24 7:35 p.m.

Speaking of, Reel Big Fish had a collab with Ice Nine Kills to remake Walking on Sunshine. It slaps.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/17/24 8:20 p.m.

I had not seen that. That's great.

And I forgot about Fish Bone. I have "skankin to the beat" on a compilation disc...either IRS or Sire records.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
7/17/24 9:34 p.m.

I've learned that Japan has a good ska scene.

Kemuri reminds me of Less Than Jake.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
7/17/24 10:15 p.m.

I really dig y'all's passion for the horns. It isn't my thing, but I'm glad folks dig it and I'm glad it exists. Makes me want to learn trombone. 

Old_Town
Old_Town Reader
7/18/24 2:48 p.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

The Pietasters never get old. I still listen to them constantly.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
7/18/24 4:15 p.m.

I love Ska actually a band that plays locally for free at the beach was on the news. However some of them hover around Regage which might nab them a few more folks to the concert.

I was also shocked to see Save Ferris will still touring

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jWy96IprV3WcuMWaL0tdzbo5Tx0SbmYMmh2EoFqr375Pu6JvLpNPJwSxB9K1fLde