1 2
pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
6/17/21 10:02 a.m.

I would only suggest making sure the bike she gets is as decent as reasonable for the money and make sure it's really ready for the road before she goes out on it.  I wasn't smart with my first bike purchase and I would have rather been riding than fixing junk repeatedly.  Bikes sit so much and with today's wonderful gasoline tanks rusting internally and electric systems not really up to the task are common with used bikes.  

A Ninja 300 ABS sounds like a good first bike that she won't outgrow for a while.  SV650, especially cheaper when it was the Gladius, might be a great option as well.  EDIT: Not sure if a Gladius gets cheap enough for the proposed budget but it's close.  Seems like a bargain but I know the budget is the budget.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
6/22/21 2:16 p.m.

She told her mom last night, before she took MSF course, got license, or bought a bike.

Apparently her mom wasn't that upset.  Not sure what the current temp in hell is, but I bet the folks down there are enjoying the break in temp.

I haven't hear from her mom myself though.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/22/21 2:42 p.m.

GRE IT & Library Services on Twitter: "Waiting for an important email? or  is Gmail looking suspiciously quiet? Your student email has moved to  Outlook Online. Here's all you need to get

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
6/23/21 8:13 a.m.

All stayed quiet.

I guess people can grow up.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/23/21 8:59 a.m.
m4ff3w said:

I'd rather her be excited, engaged, and safe on a bike than playing with her phone in a Focus or Civic.

I think you are overlooking the fact that she will daily encounter thousands of other young drivers all playing with their phones while they cruise around in mommy's SUV. 

I stopped riding on roads when I became a father for the same reason Stampie did. My kids deserve to have a father. But the total reason ran deeper. I was an extremely competent rider (I used to race), but felt very much out of control of other drivers. I realized there is no such thing as a fender bender when a motorcycle and an SUV collide. I simply couldn't fix all the other incompetent and attention challenged drivers on the road in oversized vehicles.  That was 33 years ago- before cell phones. 

As a father, I would go as far as possible to be supportive of my kids, especially their interest in vehicles and Motorsports. But I would try to talk any new driver out of riding a bike on the street.  I'd suggest a minimum of 5 years auto driving experience and 5 years off-road biking before deciding to ride daily on the street. 

Good luck!!

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/23/21 11:14 a.m.

The bottom line in any divorce situation is compromise. If you and your daughter have something that you want to do together, the ex cannot simply say no outright, they lost that option in the divorce. They can voice their concerns and ask for compromise like a smaller cc bike, ATGATT, MSF course, supervised rides at first...whatever as long as they are giving a little. You match that compromise by addressing their concerns and meeting half way.

If the ex gives the "my way or the highway" argument, that is them trying to be controlling, and that will sour their relationship with all parties. Probably why you are divorced in the first place, ammiright? If they are pissed, let them be pissed. They probably are going to pissed about something at all times anyway. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/23/21 11:23 a.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

The bottom line in any divorce situation is compromise. If you and your daughter have something that you want to do together, the ex cannot simply say no outright, they lost that option in the divorce. They can voice their concerns and ask for compromise like a smaller cc bike, ATGATT, MSF course, supervised rides at first...whatever as long as they are giving a little. You match that compromise by addressing their concerns and meeting half way.

If the ex gives the "my way or the highway" argument, that is them trying to be controlling, and that will sour their relationship with all parties. Probably why you are divorced in the first place, ammiright? If they are pissed, let them be pissed. They probably are going to pissed about something at all times anyway. 

Under 18, and I'd disagree. There are things that can be said "no" to without further discussion. And I personally would put a street-ridden motorcycle among them. Racing? Fine. Motocross/dirtbikes? Fine. On the street with Karen in her Tahoe? Nope. Not with my kiddo. Though my wife made that clear on about our 3rd date, which was 7 years before we married and 10 years before our first kid, so if I had a different opinion and that came as a surprise to me... then shame on me.

Of course that is also location dependent. If you live in Aberdeen, SD, it is a different ballgame.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
6/23/21 12:19 p.m.

I think scorched earth approach would be better - get her a Hayabusa.  

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/23/21 2:15 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:

That would be less dangerous than getting a boyfriend who rides a Hayabusa.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
6/23/21 3:10 p.m.
Beer Baron said:
93gsxturbo said:

That would be less dangerous than getting a boyfriend who drives a van.

FTFY

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/23/21 6:01 p.m.

I would wait until she has the bike and then call the x and blame her for your daughter getting the bike and that if she had been a more reasonable parent when she was growing up this would never had happened. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EWNytwU6oy1f20QXj8eoSsG6xxaAv9K17k4kTDk8Ogox6BPyja1PSDl8n2jPp4j9