SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
7/15/16 2:32 p.m.

Fellow GRM'er Pseudosport and I work at the same place, and today, one of the management team tossed us the keys to his Tesla Model S P90D. He knows we are gearheads, so he said that one day we would have to take it for a ride. That day was today.

First impression is that the car has the look and feel like something that's either from the future or out of a sci-fi movie, especially on the inside. The dash is dominated by a HUGE touchscreen display that pretty much controls everything. Not my pic, but you get the idea:

Just about everything from the sunroof to the heat is controlled from here. It makes the car feel like it's a giant rolling, driveable smartphone. There's even easter eggs! Typing 007 into it for an access code transforms the car on the display into James Bond's Lotus Esprit submarine.

And then there's the gauge cluster. It's basically a display screen, and reconfigurable. There's Easter eggs there too! A couple flicks of one of the column controls and your car thinks it's on Rainbow Road in Mario Kart.

But what about driving it? To get it into drive, there's a thumb stick control on the column, like a mini column shifter. Throttle input is very linear, and when you let off the throttle, it is almost like applying the brakes. It's a very strange sensation, but easy to get used to, and it's adjustable. Adjustability is all over the place in this thing. The suspension, ride height, and more are all adjustable. Handling is pretty great, and steering feel is awesome. This one is AWD, and sadly, there's no defeat that I know of for dorifto fun time. Oh, and this particular car had Ludicrous mode. That leads me to my next observation...

The one glaring aspect of this car is the power.

HOLY. BERK.

When you lay into it, power is instant, sudden, and unbelievable. Without a doubt, this is the fastest accelerating vehicle I have ever driven or probably ever will drive. 0-80ish happens before you can blink an eye. And about those eyes... it was so fast that my eyes and brain were having trouble communicating! I have never felt that sensation before. And that power is always a foot press away. You have to show restraint.

The other insane aspect of the car is Autopilot. Yes, it drives itself! Yes, it's freaky. And yes, it turns on its own and all that. I felt so strange letting it drive us around, but it worked fine. And no worries: a touch of the steering wheel, brake, or gas pedal will take it out of this mode.

There are only a few knocks I can give to the car. One is the fact that it's an electric car and that may limit you to where you can take the thing. The owner recently said that he went down the eastern seaboard on a trip and it took a little longer than in a gas powered car because he would have to stop and recharge it every so often. I think this model gets about 275-300 per charge. Good if you are daily driving it, bad if you want to road trip in it.

Another knock is that giant touchscreen. It's distracting, and the lack of buttons/redundant controls will have you searching around the screen instead of paying attention. But I guess you can just set the Autopilot and worry about the screen.

This car is also well over $100k, and most of us aren't dishing out that kind of money on a car, ever. But, it's so choice. If you have the means, I definitely recommend picking one up.

thedanimal
thedanimal Reader
7/15/16 3:00 p.m.

I currently detail one weekly, it's pretty righteous. I've had the chance to drive a few in the past and I agree, the power is linear and crazy good, it's addicting to mash the throttle. I will need to mess with the one I detail and freak the owner out by changing to the rainbow road.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/15/16 3:07 p.m.

Question: will the autopilot take you somewhere (e.g you put in a destination) or does it just keep you on the road you are on. Will it turn corners?

A friend of mine pointed out that some of the Lane Holding plus the auto folow features in higher end cars are essentially autopilot

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
7/15/16 3:11 p.m.

In reply to aircooled:

I'm not sure if it will take you somewhere via GPS, but YES, it DOES turn corners. And holy crap is it weird. Every instinct that you have as a driver makes you want to grab the wheel.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ce15ntG1nApe2j82T6Kv9EzVJFXwXffaZd3vXHT2gVLMwDUaffyjBTu1WKbjGWwB