1 2 3
Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/24/10 6:54 p.m.

Heck, I remember when a 'child restraint' was my mom throwing her arm up to catch me as she slammed on the brakes.

In a lot of ways, this world has become a lot safer for kids. At the same time, it has lost a lot of its sparkle and snap; that's been replaced by video games and smartphones. Sometimes I am torn as to whether it's really 'better'.

zomby woof
zomby woof Dork
7/24/10 7:03 p.m.

Not me.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
7/24/10 7:13 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I also remember we had a BIG fold out foam sofa that fit perfectly into the bed of our chevy custom deluxe 10. I remember quite a few trips sitting back there with legos and stuff while the cap kept out prying eyes and kept me safe from flying objects and wind.

It used to be pretty common to see a family on vacation in a pickup camper with the kids sitting on the bunk above the cab, looking out the front window as they went down the road. I imagine it was a great view from up there, but probably not such a good place to be in an accident.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Reader
7/25/10 2:00 p.m.

My mother rearended a '56 T-bird with her 1952 Austin A-40 Dorset. I had a good view of it as I was standing on the hump in the back seat! I also got an instantaneous view of the gas pedal from the front hump immediately after impact ! So, the parents bought a "car seat" for me. One of those 1950's pressed steel seats that hooked over the front seat with two hooks and had its own steering wheel, mounted on a pressed steel post to keep me amused.Probably lucky that they hadn't bought that before the accident or I would never have had children of my own !

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
7/25/10 3:22 p.m.

Me and my friends in college like to just jump in a car and take road trips. My favorite thing was in my friend's stealth we'd fold the rear seats down and look up thru the hatch at the stars while going down the road which is really great with a girl.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
7/26/10 10:04 a.m.

look at it this way.. you missed the heatwave that saw us at over 100 degrees with near 100% humidity... in an old car, that would have been a nightmare

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette HalfDork
7/29/10 8:24 a.m.

happy birthday Marjorie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS4-JXB2yUU&feature=related

ihaas
ihaas New Reader
9/8/24 12:56 p.m.

In reply to jhaas :

miss you dad

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/8/24 1:16 p.m.

In reply to ihaas :

Was jhaas your father?  If so, he was "legend" around here!

His GRM obit...

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/john-haas-dies-at-age-39/

ihaas
ihaas New Reader
9/8/24 4:47 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

yes he was! so amazing to find out all of these thing about him. i wish i could of got to know him better but i knew he loved me and my siblings so much

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
9/8/24 5:07 p.m.

In reply to ihaas :

I never meet your father but I've heard so many great things about him over the years.  As John said, your dad is a legend.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/8/24 7:14 p.m.

In reply to ihaas :

Wow!  So, I'm guessing this is the first you've learned of GRM.  It is a site we dudes come to get advise from similar minded dudes.  It might be, "I want to put a Chevy engine into my Ford.  Who's done it and what difficulty will I run into?"   It could also be what wheels will properly fit onto this car?  In your dad's case it may be documenting his story and getting/sharing advice on how to drop an old car body atop a completely different, newer car frame.

But, in the Off Topic Section of this forum I have also gotten/given advice on appliances, or relationships, or adoption, or cell phones, or laptops, or dogs.  No topic is too far out.  Here is a classic, "need animal blood (50 ml of horse and 50 ml of sheep) by Monday of next week."

My own father died when I was 5.  If I read the obit correctly, your dad when you were 4.  I understand the hole it leaves!  I don't know the jhaas extended family such as if he had brothers that therefore left you with uncles.  For me, my father was an only child whos parents had both passed before I was born leaving zero real history.  

What I do know is that this group was "like minded" to your father and mutually respected.  We'd be happy to field questions that in different circumstances you'd might direct to him.  

I could be automotive, like" I want to buy my first car.  I want something fun and cool.  Mom only wants me to buy something safe.  What to buy that is a good combo for safe, fun , and cool?"  

Or, it could be, "I like this girl and she doesn't notice me, what can I do?"  

Either way, I just want you to know that as son-of-legend, dropping the Haas name around here gives you instant Royal Status!  

PS: all the same to your Mom and siblings!   

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/8/24 7:21 p.m.

I just want to stress this link because it is buried in some of the other links...  

This link will take you to ever one of the 619 times jhaas wrote something here on GRM.  
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/jhaas/comments/

Its probably an interesting way to learn more about the guy you want to know more about!  

travellering
travellering Dork
9/9/24 10:39 a.m.

I had a class at UT with Haas before I ever found this board.  Wish at the time I would have known he was a car nut.  It was an architecture-adjacent class that was basically a shop lab to design and build a piece of furniture.  With his help i built a wood, glass, and steel table that could be propped up on end and converted to shelves. At the time I knew he was into basically resto-modding old houses around town.  I thought what he was doing there was cool too, but the messing around with cars would have been awesome to know about and discuss with him.

ihaas
ihaas New Reader
9/9/24 7:54 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

thank you so much! it's nice to have someone with a similar story. my dad did have one brother which we are still very close to as well as his mother. sadly, his father did pass away a year after him. i don't really have any other questions at the time other than if any of yall knew him personally and have any stories? it's perfectly fine if not, i would just love to get to know what he was like more!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
9/9/24 8:02 p.m.

In reply to ihaas :

I posted a thread, hopefully it'll get more views than in here.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/do-you-have-any-stories-about-jhaas/273250/page1/#post3969355

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
9/9/24 9:25 p.m.

Oh, and if you want to  make sure you dont miss anything in those threads, at the top, just under the title is an icon of an eyeball.  Click it and you will be notified via email of any new posts in that thread.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EwztdvLiThShPxe8LykkaAf4bjlgaSq97ItxNgE9YgoVbLf3wmnJ2mHps8Clt90u