1 2
Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
8/20/23 8:02 a.m.

I didn't, but looks like it was close.

Went to the Dayton Cars and Coffee yesterday, the Porsche is still in the shop waiting on German parts so I took the BRZ. Got there early so plenty of room in the last parking lot. Walked a bit and came back to this bro-dozer truck behind me. Hard to see the line in this photo so I drew red lines. No indentation in the bumper at least.

Here he is behind me.  Pretty LED lights there bro.

Anyone ever have issues?  We don't seem to have the Mustang exits at least, closest we get is I-75 runs next to the lots we use and we get a rolling start drag strip going.  I'm surprised Ohio's finest don't hang out nearby.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/20/23 8:48 a.m.

The truck has a backup camera. Im guessing it just got close to fit in better? After all, when someone else buys an unnecessarily HUGE vehicle, isn't it everyone else's job to deal with it?

wae
wae PowerDork
8/20/23 8:59 a.m.

Yeah, just looks like the truck tucked in close and used his camera.  I don't really see anything wrong there.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
8/20/23 9:03 a.m.

I've seen people closer in a regular parking lot. Cars and coffee has nothing to do with it. So he got close, he didn't hit you, if you're that paranoid, don't go. 

I'm glad TJL has decided what is an unnecessary size for someone to buy. I guess Ford should stop making them. 

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
8/20/23 9:08 a.m.

I don't know, I think it's kind of a dick move to park that close - camera or not. It makes it harder to move around the car and makes it very possible for someone to bang a shin on the hitch. Which leads me to hitches. Why do so many folks leave them attached when it's so easy to detach and store in the truck? I'm kind of lazy, but I still manage to do that with my truck, and it avoids me accidentally smacking my legs on it. 

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Dork
8/20/23 9:19 a.m.

In reply to eastpark :

The answer I always get is, well if someone rear ends me they hit the hitch first. Which may be true, but my shins are important too. 

if a car parking close to you is the biggest problem, I'd call that a successful cars and coffee. 

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury Reader
8/20/23 9:23 a.m.

In reply to eastpark :

I'd rather not have a 10lb piece of metal rolling around in my vehicle, when there's a designated, secure storage spot already on the vehicle, in the exact spot that I will need it. Also, it's not my job to make sure people don't walk into it. It also can act as a tailgater deterrent. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/20/23 9:25 a.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Thanks, but im not saying the f-150 is too big, im saying when people buy a huge vehicle just to buy a huge vehicle and try to park it in a smaller spot, it can lead to some crummy parking situations. 

for the record, i see nothing wrong with the parking job. I would likely remove the hitch though so nobody bashes their shins into it. 

Spearfishin
Spearfishin New Reader
8/20/23 9:28 a.m.
eastpark said:

I don't know, I think it's kind of a dick move to park that close - camera or not. It makes it harder to move around the car and makes it very possible for someone to bang a shin on the hitch. Which leads me to hitches. Why do so many folks leave them attached when it's so easy to detach and store in the truck? I'm kind of lazy, but I still manage to do that with my truck, and it avoids me accidentally smacking my legs on it. 

Sounds like you are assuming I (and others) pull a trailer FAR less frequently than I actually pull a trailer. 

If I towed once a month, I might take it out, mostly for parking lots. At home, I just know not to walk into it.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
8/20/23 10:19 a.m.

I want to make sure I have this correct. If truck guy parks 8 inches from a car, he's too close and an shiny happy person. If someone walks within 8 inches from his truck and hits the hitch, they're not too close, he's still the shiny happy person. 

'That is what I'm reading here, did I miss something? I love the "nice LED lights, bro" comment on the STOCK lights.....

No Time
No Time UltraDork
8/20/23 10:20 a.m.
lnlogauge said:

In reply to eastpark :

The answer I always get is, well if someone rear ends me they hit the hitch first. Which may be true, but my shins are important too. 

if a car parking close to you is the biggest problem, I'd call that a successful cars and coffee. 

The interesting part of the collision defense, is that in a hard hit it may actually make the damage worse to the vehicle being rear ended.

When a draw bar is installed (especially with a big drop) the impact is no longer in line with the frame and applies a bending force that can be multiples of the trucks rated tongue weigh and forces seen during normal towing. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/20/23 10:21 a.m.

I remember reading mndsm's post about not posting much here anymore because of the snarkiness and attitude. I'm beginning to see what he means.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
8/20/23 10:23 a.m.

Just curious, if it was another car (Mustang, Corvette, Porsche, etc) that parked that close would this have even been a topic? 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
8/20/23 10:51 a.m.
Appleseed said:

I remember reading mndsm's post about not posting much here anymore because of the snarkiness and attitude. I'm beginning to see what he means.

I agree, but the truck owner bashing has gotten pretty old. The attitude goes both ways. This is a stock truck, yet he's a "bro" for some reason that shouldn't park in a normal spot. If he was there first and posted "a stance bro parked far back in the spot and almost hit my truck" people here would have a problem with that post. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/20/23 11:05 a.m.
No Time said:

Just curious, if it was another car (Mustang, Corvette, Porsche, etc) that parked that close would this have even been a topic? 

Yep.

Especially at an event where the kind of people who are fanatical about preventing door dings are in high attendance.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
8/20/23 11:14 a.m.

I see at least 8 things I could "make fun of" on the BRZ. 

Y'all are really finding some weird things to argue about these days.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/20/23 11:22 a.m.
eastpark said:

It's illegal to leave hitch stingers in in my state anyways. I rear ended a guy who had his in years ago and the insurance ruled it 50% his fault because the stinger was the only thing I hit. 

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
8/20/23 12:21 p.m.

I see no issue either.   He used his backup camera successfully. 

The camera on the F150's is pretty damn good and can zoom in.   I would be comfortable putting my hitch within 1/2" of anything.

He's probably just in his space, while you are quite far back in yours.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/20/23 1:35 p.m.

So what's the problem here?  He didn't hit you and really isn't all that close to you at all. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/20/23 2:48 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

I want to make sure I have this correct. If truck guy parks 8 inches from a car, he's too close and an shiny happy person. If someone walks within 8 inches from his truck and hits the hitch, they're not too close, he's still the shiny happy person. 

'That is what I'm reading here, did I miss something? I love the "nice LED lights, bro" comment on the STOCK lights.....

I think Jerry is being a bit self effacing here- he's got a bro bar on his car. 

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
8/20/23 3:47 p.m.

All I could think of while reading this thread

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
8/20/23 4:10 p.m.

I drive a truck.

I use it for truck things all the time.

Three days a week, it has a trailer attached.

The receiver is NOT a storage spot for your drawbar. It's where the drawbar goes when it's in use. When it's not in use, you take it out and leave it in the trailer it pulls. It's not rocket science.

Parking spots are getting smaller because more people are driving smaller cars. I have a hard time putting a half ton in some of the parking spots these days. Using the camera system makes a big difference and taking the drawbar out makes the truck 6" shorter easily.

Our truck is a crew cab with a 5' box, it's no longer than the standard cab / 8' box trucks they made years ago. When you put it in a parking spot, you have to get the rear bumper almost on the line, just to not have the nose stick out into the lane in the parking lot.

As a guy who has a truck for truck reasons, why can't folks get a Honda Civic between the lines properly? Quit taking up part of another spot because you're a lazy ass.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
8/20/23 4:30 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

Hi there, you missed something. I was referring to a bunch of LEDs on the front you didn't see. Thanks for asking.

And if anyone wants to re-read the post, I was asking if anyone had ever had their car damaged. I specifically said I hadn't. Again, thanks for playing. Applebee's gets it.

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
8/20/23 4:36 p.m.

Back to the original question......no I've never been damaged at a C&C event, but we have had the Mustang exit a few times (although one was a Porsche and one a Corvette - the other was - you guessed it - a Mustang) None of them hit other cars thank dog, but did some building, curb and road sign damage along their path to internet glory!  laugh

I wonder where that "I've got to peel out as I leave" gene came from?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/20/23 4:45 p.m.
Jerry said: Applebee's gets it.

(the only thing funnier than autocarrot is monetized autocarrot)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L6RAmXF7syJz0ezlvWEcz6myYqJVAeYaaFhxc8LA0uqGcmsRRnnxGBuldT0OqrYV