2 3 4
Secretariata
Secretariata Reader
12/20/12 8:43 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

Yeah, sometimes it's better to leave things to the imagination.

Near Columbia, SC. Under some circumstances it's an ideal place...under others it might be horrible. SC is usually in the top or bottom 5 states for any category (whichever is worse). If you can find a decent job, the cost of living is reasonable. Commutes aren't bad compared to major cities. University means more diversity and culture than typical for similar sized southern cities. If you don't have children that you would like to educate that's a plus.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
12/21/12 7:16 a.m.

gotcha .... I agree with all you claims about the Columbia are ( it's sorta where I figured you are ) but being accustomed to my mt. weather I have a HARD time with the heat in mid-state SC ... but you are closer to CMP than I am (which would be a good thing )

so other than the beach accessibility ... I think I'll stay in Asheville

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
12/21/12 10:20 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Really? I guess I have been here to long. I always assumed people wanted to live in FL.

Just really old people.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
12/21/12 10:38 a.m.

Born and raised in Columbia, SC, moved to Charleston for 20 years. I thought Chucktown was redneck and backwards (the local paper down there devotes a serious column to 'pro rasslin') but when I moved back here I realized Chuck wasn't NOTHIN' compared to Columbia. There's pockets of intelligence and acceptance but for the most part not. My plans are to move to the mountains after the Curmudgeonling graduates from high school.

I know a lot of you live in and really like Florida, uh no thanks not me. Been there more times than I care to count on both coasts and the panhandle but have not made it to Miami or the Keys. I have no desire to live there.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
12/21/12 10:39 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
MrJoshua wrote: Really? I guess I have been here to long. I always assumed people wanted to live in FL.
Just really old people.

I grew up here in a college town so our population is on the younger side.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
12/21/12 11:15 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Born and raised in Columbia, SC, moved to Charleston for 20 years. I thought Chucktown was redneck and backwards (the local paper down there devotes a serious column to 'pro rasslin') but when I moved back here I realized Chuck wasn't NOTHIN' compared to Columbia. There's pockets of intelligence and acceptance but for the most part not. My plans are to move to the mountains after the Curmudgeonling graduates from high school. I know a lot of you live in and really like Florida, uh no thanks not me. Been there more times than I care to count on both coasts and the panhandle but have not made it to Miami or the Keys. I have no desire to live there.

come on ... it's usually pretty nice to be here.... right this min. not so much .. it's ~ 25°, blowing snow ( not any on the roads and not enough to play in) and the winds blowing between 15 and 35 mph ... meehhhhhhhh

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
12/21/12 11:20 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: I know a lot of you live in and really like Florida, uh no thanks not me. Been there more times than I care to count on both coasts and the panhandle but have not made it to Miami or the Keys. I have no desire to live there.

you're wrong!!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
12/21/12 11:27 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote: I know a lot of you live in and really like Florida, uh no thanks not me. Been there more times than I care to count on both coasts and the panhandle but have not made it to Miami or the Keys. I have no desire to live there.
you're wrong!!

Well, I could be wrong. But I still won't live down there. That means ya got one less old fart to contend with.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
12/21/12 11:28 a.m.
wbjones wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote: Born and raised in Columbia, SC, moved to Charleston for 20 years. I thought Chucktown was redneck and backwards (the local paper down there devotes a serious column to 'pro rasslin') but when I moved back here I realized Chuck wasn't NOTHIN' compared to Columbia. There's pockets of intelligence and acceptance but for the most part not. My plans are to move to the mountains after the Curmudgeonling graduates from high school. I know a lot of you live in and really like Florida, uh no thanks not me. Been there more times than I care to count on both coasts and the panhandle but have not made it to Miami or the Keys. I have no desire to live there.
come on ... it's usually pretty nice to be here.... right this min. not so much .. it's ~ 25°, blowing snow ( not any on the roads and not enough to play in) and the winds blowing between 15 and 35 mph ... meehhhhhhhh

Yeah, I like the Asheville area. It's on my short list.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
12/21/12 11:31 a.m.

It's darn cold in Florida today.....

I rode the motorcycle to work, but I had to wear a jacket!

mtn
mtn PowerDork
12/21/12 11:36 a.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZExUvG-0RB8

clownkiller
clownkiller Reader
12/21/12 11:02 p.m.

maybe its a revenge thing, Wayne has to look after Per at the next Mitty In reply to aussiesmg: We would both end up dead!

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
12/22/12 9:43 a.m.

I allways thought a montag'e of GRM/C piks or covers would be good to throw darts at

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
12/23/12 1:15 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: I rode my motorcycle to work today.

So did I. It was above freezing, so I rode. Who needs warmth to ride? Though I would have preferred your bike to mine. As you said, make what you have of where you are.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
12/23/12 7:08 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote:
spitfirebill wrote:
Just really old people.

Gainesville??? I once managed a research farm in Sanford and I would be the only diner under 60 YO in a restaurant at night.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
12/23/12 7:24 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
MrJoshua wrote:
spitfirebill wrote:
Just really old people.
Gainesville??? I once managed a research farm in Sanford and I would be the only diner under 60 YO in a restaurant at night.

Yup, Gainesville.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t5EvToVvFG7OTMHoNBzZg5O6eVRe2t9q428FJgvkbm70nnoITvMwGQ8ih8L9zae5