z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/1/24 11:59 a.m.

The new McLaren P1 Technic kit was released today. Just ordered mine. 

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/mclaren-p1-42172

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/1/24 12:03 p.m.

Added to wishlist

My birthday is coming up soon...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/1/24 12:19 p.m.

I'm personally more of a brick on brick fan than Technic body parts, so I'll pass on this one. But I did just finish building the big Mercedes F1 set and I have to say that it's really well done. The body style lends itself well to blades and panels suspended in midair.

I've got LEGO that dates back to when some of it was being built in Stratford, Ontario by Samsonite. My peak was during the Space era, so I have lots of blue and grey :)  Including the original Galaxy Explorer. Also, a bunch of early Technic including 8860 which actually taught me useful things like how a differential works. My big box of LEGO is currently entertaining its third or fourth generation of kids.

My favorite LEGO moment of recent time was the Mini. Not just because it's a cool model but because the designer hid some sill rust lurking inside the body. You can't see it from the outside, but you know it's there...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/1/24 1:39 p.m.

I don't know how I missed that one! 

Places Merc F1 in queue. 

rkammerer
rkammerer New Reader
8/1/24 3:04 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I'm personally more of a brick on brick fan than Technic body parts, so I'll pass on this one. But I did just finish building the big Mercedes F1 set and I have to say that it's really well done. The body style lends itself well to blades and panels suspended in midair.

Same.  I've been enjoying the Speed Champions series, because it's more "Lego" to me than a lot of the recent big dollar sets.  The Lambos, the Ferrari, this P1...  just don't land for me.  Very cool models, and interesting how they replicated the complex curved surfaces, but more "neat" than "I MUST SATISFY MY INNER 9 YEAR OLD RIGHT NOW".  And, yes - the Mini was great.  And the Microbus.  And Bug, and Vespa.  I've got the Big 911 on the shelf waiting, and am excited about the new big Countach.

Jealous of your OG Galaxy Explorer.  I had that for a long WHILE on my birthday/xmas lists as a kid, and eventually got it!  I was team Blue/Grey also back then.  I did pick up the GE re-release recently.  One of my favorite details of The Lego Movie was how the Space guy's visor chinbar was cracked, as they all were.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/1/24 3:09 p.m.

I never broke any chinbars on my Space guys, but the logo on their chest used to fade. They got that wrong in the movie, Benny's is scraped :) I'll try to get a pic of my two Galaxy Explorers together - I rebuilt the OG one from my original instruction book when the new one was announced. It was really interesting to see how the construction methods changed, the wings are much better built today than the originals that were just basically laminated flat panels.

The classic Land Rover Discovery model right now is a good one. I've got mine customized to look as much like my old Series as possible.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/1/24 5:44 p.m.

I've done the new Defender, ECTO-1, Ducati, VW Bus, and the 911 (not the older Orange one that sells for big bucks now).......I need to get back to the BMW Motorcycle. I haven't touched it in ages. I want to add the classic Defender as well. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
8/1/24 5:53 p.m.

I've also got an OG Galaxy Explorer and my older daughter dug out the pieces from the big bin and built it using the old instructions. I think it may still be put together somewhere!

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
8/1/24 6:49 p.m.

Going back and forth to Europe quite a bit as a child, I was exposed to a lot of Lego sets that were relatively unknown in the US. I distinctly remember this one: 8860 Car Chassis - it was released in 1980, which is about right. Working engine, transmission, suspension, steering, and seats.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/1/24 7:24 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

I traveled through Europe to Australia in 1976 and again in 1982. I picked up some non-North American sets on the way, including the new "technical LEGO". I got 8860 on one of those trips. I also have some of the pre-Technic gears, which were Europe-only. Europe and Canada/US actually had incompatible gearsets at the time.

I built a kick-ass dune buggy out of 8860. Given that it was a Beetle floorpan, that was totally appropriate. I should see if I can rebuild it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/1/24 7:50 p.m.

Supercars aren't my thing. But I'm knocking over a Grandma on crutches if they release a 47 Powerwagon or 72 Chevy pickup.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/1/24 8:20 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Supercars aren't my thing. But I'm knocking over a Grandma on crutches if they release a 47 Powerwagon or 72 Chevy pickup.

Watch out Grandma.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-88031/syzygy87/ford-f100-1972-rc-suspension/#details
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-111140/Giakime%20Brick/dodge-power-wagon/#comments

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/1/24 9:32 p.m.

Seen at several of the car show I attend. The engine bay is just as adorned and he even has Lego "Bodywork" on the quarter panels

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fOHuG0IpqphGX0oP7ufzbci769kdrY9bAGonouedvwPvEjjN0C03Vha3TFi437OU