19 20 21
GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
6/17/24 9:10 a.m.

Gonna see a sports medicine doctor today; in doing incline bench I pushed myself to 165lbs some months ago but that gave me some kind of left shoulder injury, and ever since I've never been able to push myself on chest or grow my bench.

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard Marketing Coordinator
6/17/24 9:15 a.m.

In reply to brandonsmash :

Yeah I was def not under any impression that creatine is magic/a steroid/a hormone, I started taking it because it seemed like a useful tool to help me recover faster from workouts and thus be able to handle more workouts per week. It was, indeed, very good at that.

brandonsmash
brandonsmash Reader
6/17/24 1:07 p.m.

In reply to Nicole Suddard :

Absolutely! There is also a growing body of research indicating that creatine may be quite useful in assisting in memory, particularly among vegetarians. 

I've pointed this out to my notoriously forgetful, vegetarian wife. She still forgets to supplement with creatine, so, well, QED?

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
7/20/24 3:08 p.m.

I saw 169.9 on the scale today.  Pretty disappointing for someone who is usually in the upper 180s.  At least I have a visible 6 pack?  lol 

I have had months of digestive and other lower abdominal issues culminating (I think) with a colonoscopy yesterday.  I think I'm in the clear now to start eating like I mean it again and get back to a regular gym schedule.  I have to be sensitive to a few dietary changes but otherwise should be good to go.

One thing I learned during this is:  wow, pea protein has really come down in price to the point where it's comparable or even cheaper than whey.  That's a win in my book.  Heck at Sprouts near me you can buy it by the lb and it's like half the price of whey.

one thing I've been working on during my limited workout time is: nose breathing.  I've never been good at it when under any sort of output demand.  I'm still bad at it, but after some practice I can sustain a slow run (like 14 min miles) for quite a long time only breathing through my nose.  If anyone has any tips for this or any thoughts on it. I am interested.  There is lots of speculation on this subject but little data.  I did find some data indicating a not insignificant performance difference one you train yourself to do it though.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
7/20/24 3:16 p.m.

In reply to prodarwin :

I was an atrociously slow runner for most of my life. It was only in my late 30s that I finally got coaching and discovered I had been breathing wrong the entire time. 

Basically I had been breathing in through my mouth and then exhaling through my nose. Do the opposite, and do it in a 3:1 ratio. I literally count 1,2, 3 in my head while inhaling, then a short, forceful exhale.

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
7/21/24 2:56 p.m.

I tried that.  That ratio is crazy difficult for me.  I can't exhale quick enough!

After practicing, did that performance translate to other areas of cardio, or was it pretty much just running?

how long did it take you to adapt?

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
9/14/24 5:58 p.m.

Does anyone have a reasonable 3 day split that still hits all muscle groups 2x/week they can recommend?

I've been doing Push Pull Legs for a while and its good, but I'm really only consistently hitting hard workouts 3x a week, sometimes 4, so I'd like to alter than plan so I am able to get to each muscle group 2x.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/16/24 10:05 a.m.

In for above or a good app/website for some variety/workout of the day

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
9/16/24 10:15 a.m.

I'm gently sore all over today.   Started working out twice a week about when I turned 50.  50.5 now and feeling great, put on some visible muscle, lost some fat with no change in weight.   

Just noticed this thread, I'll get caught up and see what I missed in the GRM strength training thread

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/16/24 10:37 a.m.

I've been working with a personal trainer for most of a year now, and it's been a huge positive in my life. But there's a paradox. I've been gaining 2 lbs/yr for 40 years. Before  I began working out, I felt physically pretty bad. Now I easily hump the extra 80 lbs around and it's easy to forget how fat I really am. I need to bear in mind how good it will feel to be this strong without 60 lbs of jiggly excess and get serious about dieting!   

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
9/16/24 11:40 a.m.
prodarwin said:

Does anyone have a reasonable 3 day split that still hits all muscle groups 2x/week they can recommend?

I've been doing Push Pull Legs for a while and its good, but I'm really only consistently hitting hard workouts 3x a week, sometimes 4, so I'd like to alter than plan so I am able to get to each muscle group 2x.

There are multiple ways to skin that cat. Do you have a particular focus or goals or anything?

I prefer setting things up to get effectively full body every session, 3x week. Shifting up specific exercises for different focus.

My go to system is:
2 days of, 1 heavy compound lower body (squat or deadlift), with 1 heavy compound upper body (bench or overhead press), and supplemental exercises opposing the main upper lift (i.e. pull ups with OHP, and rows with bench). Then 1 day of light weight hypertrophy stuff, frequently bodyweight variations.

Currently that's:

1. Overhead Press, Deadlift, Pull Ups, [something]
  2. Bench, Squat, Curls and rows
  3. Pistol squats, ring push ups, pull ups, etc.

A while back I laid out a plan for someone else where the model is:

1 Heavy, 2 Medium (different muscle group), 2 Supplemental (any muscle group).

"Heavy" is one of your big-3 compounds - Squat, Bench, Deadlift - done for lower reps.
"Medium" is a variation of big-3, or other compound movements. Performed for volume or speed. E.g. Overhead Press, RDL, Lunges, dumbell presses, pull ups, box jumps, etc.
"Supplemental" are light exercises targeting single muscles or low fatigue: curls, leg extensions, tricep raises, etc.

So it might be:

1. Squat, Overhead Press, Lunges, [pick 2 supplemental]
  2. Deadlift, Pull Ups, Box Jumps, [pick 2 supplemental]
  3. Bench, RDL, Rows, [Pick 2 Supplemental]
pheller
pheller UltimaDork
9/16/24 11:59 a.m.

I get the feeling that some of you are also on /r/StrongerByScience because there is a lot of crossover topics happening. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/16/24 12:49 p.m.

I haven't posted in a while.

I have accidentally started a new routine. I was doing burpees with three pushups at the bottom in sets of ten. One day last week I was angry, and pushed myself off the ground. Something clicked, so now I do leaps from the floor such that my hands and feet come off the ground. Two of those then the pushup to finish the burpee, also in sets of ten. It's way more intense. So I was in between sets, and two ladies walk by, watching my swing my legs back and forth just stretching, and one says "That's about the only thing you do which I can also do!" and shares a fist bump. Then in the locker room later a guy says "hey I saw those things you were doing, I don't think I can even do one!", I encouraged him to try, he's pretty fit and I think he was just being nice. Either way it's made my upper body sore for the first time in a while.

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
9/16/24 1:16 p.m.

I've switched things up as well.

5 days a week. 3 sets of Pull Push Legs.

Nothing fancy at all, just 10 slow wide grip pull ups on a hangboard, 5 minutes rest then 25 slow pushups, 5 minutes rest and back to pull ups as a circuit. I probably could do less rest around the 3 minute mark but with it being a 5 day schedule I figure I'll slowly trim that back. The legs I've just been doing walking lunges about 60 steps per set with a 5 minute rest between. I also could add some variety but for now I like this because I can do it anywhere for the most part and it doesn't feel like work. I feel like every time I try to make an "ideal" workout it starts to become a chore. No goals in mind currently other than to just feel good and fit.

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
9/16/24 1:23 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron 🍺 :

Goals right now are general body building.  Would like to get back into the ~12% body fat, 185lb range (200 if I'm being honest)

I'm heavily equipment limited right now (50lb dumbbells), so some of the heavy compounds aren't really feasible.  I do have some machine options at my apartment gym, but most are crap.  Deadlifts are pretty much not happening.  Going to hit cardio fatigue or grip failure way before muscle fatigue.

Wild stab at it:

1 Leg Press, OH Press, Lunges, Pullups, Dumbbell Curls, Tricep Push Down
2 Bench/Incline, Dumbbell Pullover, RDLs, Calves, Abs, Side raises
3 Rows, Dumbbell Fly, Split Squat, Reverse Fly, Bench Dips, Incline Curls 

I need to think on it some more.

19 20 21

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TtrQtbfJMgr6LkMiz34rgDt7Vh6OWU3NsfnCc2uqnUjELZFVIE4cGf4sCYSGhCHh