6 7 8 9 10
aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
12/17/12 2:10 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: MAnkind is cruel, evil and demented. Humans CAN BE kind, loving and giving. the problem is in each individual person, rectifying the two sides of the coin. It's in out nature to be aggressive, kill or be killed. It's only become our nature to be loving, nurturing and kind in hte last 2-3k years. Even then, we still had our "moments". As long as there are weak, there will be someone willing to take advantage. As long as there are strong, there will be someone willing to be stronger. As long as someone has something of value, someone else will want it. These are the laws of our nature. I don't see that changing in the next 2-3k years.

hear hear

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
12/17/12 2:26 p.m.

I've been wanting to build an auto-5/remington M11, and either a min-14/30 or M1 carbine to do some 3-gun shoots with.

But with the new hysteria about how evil all guns are, the prices are starting to skyrocket again. I guess it's time to spend that money on car parts now instead.

yamaha
yamaha Dork
12/17/12 2:42 p.m.
ransom wrote: If there are still enough guns that they're available and affordable, then we haven't tested my theory yet. Reduce by another order of magnitude and test again.

Would you like valid proof of the failure of your theory? Note, what you're theorizing is precisely what has happened with Machine Guns.......well, except that people still pay the rediculous prices for them, but there is a set number of them available. Post 1986 a private citizen could not buy a new production machine gun. The only ones available for civilian ownership had to be on the NFA registry prior to that point.

They are not what I'd call readily available due to a fixed number(also factor in the 6-9 month wait), not cost effective($3000+), not practical(you can't really hit anything with full auto), and the icing on the top of the cake, the ATF can come knocking once a year just to nibE36 M3 on everything you own.
This is precisely what you have proposed, granted as posted earlier, NFA weapons have been used in precisely 2 criminal acts since the 30's. Long before any of these crackdown laws existed. What I wouldn't give to have a time machine to go back to mail order some BAR's for the price of a used model T

Also, everyone claims stolen weapons, black market, and gunshows are where criminals get weapons mainly.....thats wrong. Most criminals use people within their organizations that have clean records to straw purchase things new. Why the hell would a criminal want some rusty hunk of crap? By statistics, the occurances in CT, OR, VA, CO, IL, etc were not the normal occurance for gun violence, contrary to what the media wants you to believe.

Bobzilla wrote: I've been wanting to build an auto-5/remington M11, and either a min-14/30 or M1 carbine to do some 3-gun shoots with. But with the new hysteria about how evil all guns are, the prices are starting to skyrocket again. I guess it's time to spend that money on car parts now instead.

I'll sell you my M1 carbine for $TEXAS Equal trade for the Corvette if you get it running right. Everyone knows if another AWB is coming, you'll see an aweful lot of $2-3000 AR's for sale again, just like the last time. What a joke.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
12/17/12 2:50 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: There a shooting last night in San Antonio, TX. http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Police-investigate-gunfire-at-movie-theater-4122668.php Two injuries, no deaths. Apparently some guy who was angry at a coworker

Which was stopped by an off duty sheriffs deputy working security at the theater.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
12/17/12 3:31 p.m.

http://www.kgw.com/news/Clackamas-man-armed-confronts-mall-shooter-183593571.html

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
12/17/12 3:51 p.m.

In Israel, unlike the US, a privilege — but no right — to bear arms

But those who have guns are trained and will use them. Like someone said "It isn't one world."

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
12/17/12 4:30 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: http://www.kgw.com/news/Clackamas-man-armed-confronts-mall-shooter-183593571.html

more detail
http://www.easybakegunclub.com/blog/1968/Concealed-Carry-Hero-at-Portland-Mall---The-Full-S.html

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
12/17/12 4:36 p.m.

Oh, St. Louis county police chief
http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/12/17/county-police-chief-recommends-arming-school-personnel/

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
12/17/12 6:42 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

Here's the trouble with arming teachers. I don't think it would have stopped an event like this. As has been pointed out before, not everyone has the personality to carry. If you do, you are making the premeditated decision that you are ready, willing, and able to stop a threat with lethal force. You are willing to kill someone.

This attack was on kindergarten students. The sort of person with the temperament to be a kindergarten teacher is almost certainly not the sort of person with the temperament to carry and be prepared to take a life.

Even if the teachers were willing to carry, a kindergarten class is probably a bad place to have a gun on your hip... where you're squatting down, and reaching up, and fussing with dirty children, and distracted, and surrounded by a bunch of curious hands that like to pick things up and play with them. Not the place for an available loaded weapon.

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
12/17/12 6:48 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron:

Pearl River MS.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
12/17/12 6:57 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote: In reply to JoeyM: This attack was on kindergarten students. The sort of person with the temperament to be a kindergarten teacher is almost certainly not the sort of person with the temperament to carry and be prepared to take a life.

I strongly disagree with this part of your post. Most Kindergarten teachers are momma bears to the n'th degree. Yes they love to nurture, but they would shoot an army of attackers if it would protect their children.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
12/17/12 7:02 p.m.

Really, in this day and age, making an assumption based upon ones occupation, dude.

(shakes head mumbling under breath)

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
12/17/12 7:08 p.m.

Wasn't the guy wearing body armor?

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
12/17/12 7:12 p.m.

Kindergarten teachers all have exceptional gun control and know how to keep kids away from their guns. Oh wait...

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
12/17/12 7:19 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: Wasn't the guy wearing body armor?

Nothing more than a rumor at this point, most reports can't even get straight what color clothes he was wearing.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
12/17/12 7:24 p.m.

What would Mr. Rogers Do?

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
12/17/12 7:30 p.m.

All the reports I have seen so far say yes, but all of the (erroneous) initial reports said that about the aurora shooter, too.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
12/17/12 7:36 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: Oh, St. Louis county police chief http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/12/17/county-police-chief-recommends-arming-school-personnel/

Teachers around here should have been armed a long time ago. Oh, the stories that I could tell you....

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
12/17/12 7:58 p.m.

Black vest with pockets = Tactical body armor to the media.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
12/17/12 8:02 p.m.
Grizz wrote:
Black vest with pockets = Tactical body armor to the media.

I sell those.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/17/12 9:23 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote: The sort of person with the temperament to be a kindergarten teacher is almost certainly not the sort of person with the temperament to carry and be prepared to take a life.

Your honor, 'cmon... move to strike. Conjecture.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
12/17/12 9:57 p.m.
Grizz wrote: In reply to Beer Baron: Pearl River MS.

The one that started it all, so to speak. I was in High school, in MS when that one happened. The principal stopped him as he was trying to leave the school by drawing his .45 on him.

Same sort of scenario though, he killed his mother then went to the school with a .30-.30.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
12/17/12 10:14 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Your honor, 'cmon... move to strike. Conjecture.

This whole thread is conjecture.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
12/17/12 10:19 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote:
Grizz wrote: In reply to Beer Baron: Pearl River MS.
The one that started it all, so to speak. I was in High school, in MS when that one happened. The principal stopped him as he was trying to leave the school by drawing his .45 on him. Same sort of scenario though, he killed his mother then went to the school with a .30-.30.

I was delivering for Body Shop Supply in Jackson that day. I was passing Pearl High School when I saw a full squadron of cops flying by. I was doing 50 on that section of Hwy 80 and it was like being passed by missles. I only found out when I got back to the shop that Woodham had gone to school with a rifle and been stopped by the Asst. Pricipal with a .45.

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
12/18/12 4:56 a.m.

I wouldn't say the shooter at Pearl was "stopped", as he already had left the building and gotten in his car.

I would agree with previous posts on the problems of teachers with guns. Some teachers would never carry a gun. Some would. This "randomness" may work in favor of security, but a gunman could potentially come to the gun fight with a bigger gun, and many could still die before a perp is subdued.

I hate to say it, but armed school security officers and limited entry will probably be common, along with higher school taxes.

6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vNLjA12qspPULJBLdxM14z5sCwOjxWm9v95VtYyocCYq5iyHwHE6bTbM1bE6UuKi