1 2
QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
5/2/24 9:48 p.m.
Mndsm said:

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Yeah, I'm not THAT cool. realistically any prismatic polygon could be oriented in this fashion and come out this way, in theory. it's a matter of basic math, where a regular mobius is 180* or 360/2, this particular one is 360/3. it should scale indefinitely- as theoretically a circle is just 360*, a cylinder is that + length, and a toroid is just a cylinder turned back into a circle. It gets weird when you take that toroid, put it on its side, turn IT into a cylinder, and then make it into another toroid. This is also infinitely scalable. 

I swear it looked English but I cannot confirm it.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic SuperDork
5/2/24 11:36 p.m.

I had to look it up... Shouldn't I be able to just cut 3 identical strips of poster board and make 3 Mobius strips interlooped together and then just tape the edges together and it will create the 3D triangular shape we are talking about?

Now how do I tell AI to draw a 3D Equilateral Triangle Mobius Strip race track with Hot Wheels race cars racing around it.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/3/24 9:24 a.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

Here's a better question. Where does one aquire mag track flexible enough to do it....POWERED. Can you build flexible slot car track? We could Mario kart this pretty easily. 

UPDATE- 

Turns out it's (sort of) been done, at least the flexible part. AFX did it back in the 70s in fact. 

https://www.slotcarcentral.com/miva55/product/31AAVBSCFTN.html

This isn't my plan at ALL.... (seriously) but it could be amusing. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/3/24 9:34 a.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo (John Brown) :

toroid=donut. mmmmmm donuts. a prismatic polygon is a 2d object (triangle, square) stretched into a 3d object. EASIEST one to think about is a circle being stretched into a cylinder. a toroid is just a cylinder bent into a donut. 

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
5/3/24 9:45 a.m.

Part was finished by this morning. Unfortunately, my son's Prusa was taken and he had to print it in the Elegoo, which is a resin 3D printer and he has to get it in the curing box before its 100% ready.

I'll email you for a shipping address and will try to get it out your way tonight or tomorrow.

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
5/3/24 9:47 a.m.

I couldn't see much this morning through the plexi, but its there. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/3/24 9:57 a.m.

Oh a resin print! I'm WILDLY curious to have it in my hands now. I've been considering purchasing one of those for my own amusement for a minute now, for reasons exactly like this. 

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
5/3/24 6:09 p.m.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/3/24 6:46 p.m.

That is weird. Need to paint each surface a different colour to follow it around.

travellering
travellering Dork
5/3/24 7:32 p.m.

It's a "Mobius prism".  Technically there's only one side as you go around, so they would all be the same color...

At the end of one revolution around the toroidal, you transition from the surface you started on to the next facet of the triangle 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/3/24 8:16 p.m.

In reply to travellering :

Exactly. Same as a mobius strip, but one more lap. still technically a one sided object. 

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
5/4/24 8:10 a.m.

Ok, put these up on the GRM store, I want one.

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
5/4/24 11:02 a.m.

Couldnt help myself

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/4/24 11:35 a.m.

I think you should give it another twist so it's a figure 8 instead of a circle. 

Would that make it a horrid toroid? A toroid de loop?  A double helitoriod?

Then the matchbox car would have to make 6 laps. Sort of. 😂

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/4/24 3:02 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Maybe. That really wouldn't change the end result- same as if you did it to a Mobius. You're twisting the entire shape at that point, not the surface. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/4/24 3:02 p.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

Wow. That thing is intense. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/8/24 3:16 p.m.

3! Prototypes showed up today. Small, medium and wow it really be like that. 

This'll be fun. Now I gotta go to the hardware store and get some sanding implements and some high build primer, mostly because everything I currently own is better suited for vandalism...er I mean fine art. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/24/24 9:19 a.m.

Ok, so- it's been a while. I alluded to this elsewhere.  Sorry. 

BUT- Here's a brain bender for you all on a Wednesday. This is just the medium one Slippery sent me, I still have a much larger one from Rico that's in Bondo right now, that I needed the tool to do the thing because berkeley sanding by hand. this is a full solvable, hand drawn maze, on a polygonal Mobius strip. I knew in theory it was possible to do on a regular Mobius strip- those are just flat sheets of paper. This is still technically a flat sheet of paper, while also being a triangle. I added a layer of difficulty to my own quest by not doing it in a linear fashion, so it actually wraps around the shape in all 3 3d axis...despite not technically having more than one side. I could have just followed the flat part and gone around a radius 3x, but that woulda been predictable. Can't be doing that. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RioxoynyxIuFf3kOfL7BVD4QeFRuTOAqAlIlH5kPu3Nz522HP1vyWcOQAfeSLxsI