Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
9/13/24 9:19 a.m.

Its mostly the graphics card, from what I've gathered.  Thats where it all starts to fall apart in my head, though.

3D Modeling/scanning cards look like they have twice the available memory of a gaming card, but can only use half?  They use the extra as sort of a redundancy check to make sure the models are accurate when exporting?  Does that sound right?

Basically I'm wondering if I need to focus on a different graphics card, and potentially swap out some of the stuff I've bought already. (Everything but the cooler and graphics card are here https://www.newegg.com/tools/custom-pc-builder/build/oHNknIsgSL6e2aXw1SIFb%2bqkrymDitjc

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
9/13/24 4:42 p.m.

Anyone have any input?

landstuhltaylor
landstuhltaylor New Reader
9/13/24 5:55 p.m.

You're going to run out of RAM long before you tax that graphics card.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
9/13/24 6:01 p.m.

What scanner are you looking at using with this setup? Maybe chat with a sales engineer from whatever company you are looking to go with for a scanner.
I was just chatting with a Creaform sales engineer yesterday. We are looking to bring a scanner in house at my new job and we are renting one on short notice for a trip I'm going on next week.
My understanding is that the drivers for Quadro style CAD GPUs are more stable and better supported by the major software players in 3d scanning. I was told that my GPU memory would be my limitation in scan area size. I have a Lenovo P53 with an 8gb RTX 4000 that "should be enough for my trip next week but they'd like to see 16gb normally"

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
9/13/24 6:04 p.m.

From my understanding it's pretty software dependent.  A lot of lower level software doesn't take advantage of the difference between a quadro and a GeForce 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
9/13/24 9:02 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

Not looking at anything industry level.  Einstar and competitors mostly.  The specs are way surpassed by the computer in the link up top, but I learned with Solidworks and others that minimum specs are labeled as minimum for a reason.  If I can avoid waiting for it to think about everything overnight before I have something workable, I will gladly pay for the upgrades.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
9/15/24 3:07 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I'd still reach out to Shining 3D directly and see if they have any insight. My understanding was the Einstar relied heavily CUDA cores for processing power. I'm curious if they have their software more pointed towards gaming style cards rather than professional drafting cards with the price they are selling the Einstar for. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
9/15/24 8:53 p.m.

Just as a data point, I ended up getting a miraco rev3d pro kit:

https://www.revopoint3d.com/products/standalone-3d-scanner-miraco?variant=43041893613768

I'm quite happy with the quality and resolution and I'm running it either off the device which seems quite capable, or using their software suite on a older i7 laptop with a GTX (not even a RTX!) graphics card. It was $1000 at Costco 5 years ago kinda thing.  It runs it great.  

I choose revopoint over the einstar as they refused to give me any real data on scan accuracy. As you can see, I got within .0005"ish compared to calipers with it!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C7iTvpcTA7lqoaGRMNqzgZcp2etj7vBat4xroiGDphwfV0E7aZmSYSaUPuYIhgQH