fasted58 MegaDork
1/3/24 7:23 p.m.

Good, bad, mediocre or ugly.

Rate it on a scale of ten if you will.

Do you think 2024 will be any better?

NY Nick
NY Nick SuperDork
1/3/24 7:30 p.m.

Mine was great. My family had a great year, spent a ton of time together. Took a few nice trips, did some camping, kept a great work / life balance. Got recognized at work for technical proficiency that I put a lot of effort into. 
I have similar expectations for 2024 (hopefully!). 
It can always be better but it's pretty darn good. I'd give it a 9 or a 10. 

wae
wae PowerDork
1/3/24 7:34 p.m.

7/10!

I'm planning to put some projects to bed in the coming year and then not replace all of them with new projects.  I've got another daughter graduating from high school so that will take a lot of time.  And I want to find time to take some trips with the family and enjoy each other's company some more.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/3/24 7:41 p.m.

As a whole, I'd rate it a 2/10. Take out the first week of May and I'd rate it a 0.7/10. Myriad of reasons, many involving physical pain and mental anguish. At this point 2024 can't be much worse so let's see what happens. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
1/3/24 7:45 p.m.

Any year I'm above ground and having fun is a 10. E36 M3 happens, can't change it. Still a 10. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
1/3/24 7:49 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Be careful with that - I thought that about 7 years ago! Said if the economy got much worse the apocalypse would commence. 
Despite the media bragging about how much better every thing is, the spiraling is faster, and yet...

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
1/3/24 7:58 p.m.

7.5/10...

Pretty good.  

Highlights:

Race win at NCM 

First GRM challenge

Sold the racecar!

Blew up the challenge car (only negative)

First time I didn't get ANYTHING for Christmas from anyone (that's a yuuugggeee win).

See yall in 2024.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/3/24 7:59 p.m.

6.  Everything at work has been solid.  Have had a slew of physical issues, doc appts, drugs, and things limiting my physical activity.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/3/24 8:04 p.m.

9/10.  I'd honestly feel bad for others if I detailed how good.  The only things I'd like to improve is more rallycross and more exercise.  I plan to fix those in '24.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
1/3/24 8:18 p.m.

3/10 worst year of my adult life by a long shot. 2024 will be better. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/3/24 8:43 p.m.

2023 killed 7 people I care about.

I don't think 2024 can kill my Grandma again, so its got that going for it.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/3/24 10:38 p.m.

3/10 maybe in a good day. I clearly did not or have not drank enough to get over/through/forget it.

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury Reader
1/3/24 11:07 p.m.

2019 - 10/10

2020 - 3/10

2021 - 4/10

2022 - 2/10

2023 - 1/10

2024 - maybe 4/10 if I'm lucky, but will probably be a 2/10.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
1/3/24 11:21 p.m.

6ish/10 - Got a titanium rod perm installed in my right tibia and that went maybe a little better than it sounds.  Had a pretty good vacation with the Challenge and a lot of other stops/sights/people seen.  Work has been a couple glimmers of good stuff in a gray sea of bleh.  Personal relationships have been kind of not as great as 2020 was although probably some worthwhile (but not pain free) changes have been made which is a net positive. 

Coming year I want to work on a few things like finishing up major house reno & landscaping work, get the garage set up for the serious projects that drove me to buying this joint in the first place, hopefully figure out some career changes, and keep putting in the work on my photography and running/fitness stuff.  A lot to do, a lot to be okay with.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
1/3/24 11:30 p.m.

another 6

It was a good year for my hobbies, but not great for everything else.

This year I want to make a real plan for moving and changing jobs.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
1/3/24 11:56 p.m.

RTR kid #1 was born, healthy and growing like a weed. Bloodline secured.  2023 was a pretty good year 10/10. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
1/4/24 1:28 a.m.

I did a few fun things in 2023, but overall it was pretty bad. I spent the first 8 months just like the previous 3+ years, grinding away at a miserable job with little time off, mostly spending my evenings after work vegging out feeling mentally exhausted from the job and dreading the start of the next work day. Which also causes anxiety that I'm wasting time, that can lead into a work-hard play-hard cycle that is in no way leisurely. One novelty was confirming through experience that remote work was no substitute for time off. I kept at it because I thought I needed to save up the money while working a job that was precarious due to the level of performance required. In that regard I was more correct than I ever could've guessed, because not only did the unsustainability of the job catch up with me but the tech industry has now E36 M3 the bed. The last 4 months of being unemployed was kind of like when you push yourself almost to the point of collapse running on a treadmill or climbing a hill on a bicycle and then step off. That's when you can really feel your level of exhaustion.

So maybe 3/10 overall. The only way I think 2024 could be better is if the business I'm working on is an instant massive success, but it's a total shot in the dark and I figure it could just as easily never get a single customer. From the jobs I'm seeing available, if I go back to working for someone else it's going to be at least as bad as before, with another full year stuck at home as a sign-on bonus.

Most alarmingly I'd say the last 3 years have been among the worst 5 of my adult life. There was a day I woke up in 2020, pre-pandemic, and my first thought was "oh no, another one?"

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
1/4/24 2:27 a.m.

Well, I've had a recurring issue with my back. Pinched nerve/rib-something/idk. Same spot always. Usually either a chiropractor visit plus ibuprofen for three days, or save the money and hurt for about two weeks until it lets up. Until about two weeks ago. Stumbled across a stretch that, if I'm limber enough (ie, after 11am) I can feel whatever it is that is out of place move back into it's designated area. So that's been really nice. 

Finally saw the end of a long legal/medical saga. So that's nice. 

Got my whole family together for a couple days so that was good. 

I'd say it was a solid 7/8 year. No major accidents or anything. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/4/24 5:22 a.m.

Having been at a 0/10 in my life before, my scale probably skews higher than average. 

I had parts of the year that were 8/10 to 9/10.

I had parts of the year, especially with my mental health, that were around a 2/10 to 3/10. This was worst for the last two months of the year and is continuing now. But I know more about myself and my mental faculties than I ever have and am continuing to learn and work on myself. 

Overall I agree with Steve Jones' assessment. I have a wonderful wife and daughter and a E36 M3head dog, good guitars, and I am clothed, housed, and fed. 10/10 overall, even if it doesn't feel like it.  

BenB
BenB HalfDork
1/4/24 7:06 a.m.

My family and I are all healthy, have food & shelter & good jobs. We got a Lab puppy in January. My knee finally healed enough that I was able to get back to running, which helps my mental health. On the downside, my mom passed away last March. Dealing with her estate was a lot of work, but now all that's left are the taxes. Ended up back in therapy for depression, probably due to stress and the inability to run it off and sleep deprivation (see puppy, above). Had a couple of friends pass away and found out yesterday that another was diagnosed with terminal cancel a couple of weeks ago. They've given him three months. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
1/4/24 7:15 a.m.

Divorce, a tornado destroyed my house,  my tool trailer was stolen, lost 2 family members, and I blew the engine in my truck. That was January. 

The rest of the year got a little better. 

3/10.  2024 will be better. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UberDork
1/4/24 7:26 a.m.

A good year. Wife saved my oldest son's life by waking up daily at 5am and researching.. helping him figure out how to manage a (possibly genetic and maybe triggered by long covid related) illness that isn't going away. He is 1000% better and back in college after being sidelined, sick for 2 years. Youngest son started college and did really well. Beyond all that I learned to say "I can't do that" at work, and found a much healthier stress level as a result. Looking to get in better physical shape starting now. 10/10

edit: even having gotten a large chunk cut out of my face resulting in a big old scar under my eye.. it wasn't cancerous so that's still win in 2023

preach
preach UltraDork
1/4/24 7:37 a.m.

So far the 2020s can suck it.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
1/4/24 7:38 a.m.

Same E36 M3, different day, bigger pile, higher debt. Huh, that about sums up my entire life.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/4/24 7:59 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

6.  Everything at work has been solid.  Have had a slew of physical issues, doc appts, drugs, and things limiting my physical activity.

I'm going to revise this to a 7 or 8.

I checked off the top two travel destinations on my bucket list (New Zealand and Iceland), as well as spent a week and a half in Germany.  I took over management of an additional team at work, growing from 4 reports to 11.  My son had a happy an healthy year, my family is in good health.  I had some great times mountain biking.

Really the physical issues I mentioned above are an annoying black mark on an otherwise great year.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ilEQIGXbPy3EqogmiH62mIEUoC5uOvDarVtrHt05bNE1hlM5RoUryMEE1CmNsL6B