John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
9/4/08 9:13 a.m.

I am REALLY trying to give the GOP a chance here but I have this nagging thing going on in the back of my head...

How can a man who (still) claims to be a commercial fisherman work for BP as a production operation supervisor** ?

(**although he states he has no supervisory rolls his job description and the $92K / yr would argue the fact)

I understand that the guy likes to work, I like to work. But how with little to no college experience did he land this job?

therex
therex SuperDork
9/4/08 9:20 a.m.

He lives where the oil is.

I mean, come on. I could probably be a janitor for BP and make 60 grand.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant New Reader
9/4/08 10:25 a.m.
John Brown wrote: But how with little to no college experience did he land this job?

There's some bias showing there. I know some very successful people in both technical and managerial positions who never attended college.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
9/4/08 10:27 a.m.
slantvaliant wrote:
John Brown wrote: But how with little to no college experience did he land this job?
There's some bias showing there. I know some very successful people in both technical and managerial positions who never attended college.

Two that immediately come to mind: Michael Dell and Bill Gates. Neither have a college degree.

-Rob

doitover
doitover Reader
9/4/08 10:30 a.m.

And most of the Tony Soprano's of the world. You don't have to be educated or intelligent to make a lot of money.

rob_lewis wrote:
slantvaliant wrote:
Two that immediately come to mind: Michael Dell and Bill Gates. Neither have a college degree. -Rob
Type Q
Type Q Reader
9/4/08 11:31 a.m.
rob_lewis wrote:
slantvaliant wrote:
Two that immediately come to mind: Michael Dell and Bill Gates. Neither have a college degree. -Rob

Actually they both attended college. They just got so busy with the side businesses they were running that they never finished.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
9/4/08 11:50 a.m.
slantvaliant wrote:

Bias? Not really. I want to know how to get there from here!

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
9/4/08 12:56 p.m.
John Brown wrote: I am REALLY trying to give the GOP a chance here but I have this nagging thing going on in the back of my head... How can a man who (still) claims to be a commercial fisherman work for BP as a production operation supervisor** ? (**although he states he has no supervisory rolls his job description and the $92K / yr would argue the fact) I understand that the guy likes to work, I like to work. But how with little to no college experience did he land this job?

Eh? My wife is a commercial waterman, doesn't mean she has no college experience. In fact, she's got a degree. Commercial watermen aren't inherently stupid or uneducated.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
9/4/08 1:16 p.m.

is that like a landman?

Wally
Wally SuperDork
9/5/08 1:08 a.m.

Work somewhere that promotes internally. I started as a driver, scored in the top 100 on the dispatcher test and got promoted. I do my job well and have been advised to work on my resume for when I'm elligible for the next step.

BBsGarage
BBsGarage Reader
9/5/08 6:52 a.m.
Wally wrote: I do my job well and have been advised to work on my resume for when I'm elligible for the next step.

That can have more then one meaning.

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
9/5/08 6:55 a.m.
BBsGarage wrote:
Wally wrote: I do my job well and have been advised to work on my resume for when I'm elligible for the next step.
That can have more then one meaning.

Given Wally's well documented, um, "issues" that next step could involve a stiletto heel. Which is a bitch when heel and toeing, so I am told.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iuc91OlhanwlBChahhDPWizDCJZWioQWR91gsBUOB3ZWvSYnL7JVAZPvCzFs7u8w