6 7 8 9
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) MegaDork
1/26/21 6:35 p.m.

Hot dogs?

The hot dog deal at Costco is hard to beat for value: a drink and a big dog for like $1.50 locally. I fix mine with kraut, brown mustard and some onions.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
1/26/21 6:39 p.m.
preach (fs) said:

Scrapple- Nope.

This unimpeachable truth shouldn't even need to be mentioned among civilized company. But given some of the things I've read in this thread, maybe it's good you stated it explicitly.

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
1/26/21 6:52 p.m.

I guess you all don't like banana on your pizza either.

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
1/26/21 6:57 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Bologna and hot dogs are food only when there is absolutely no other food available.

How do you feel about braunschweiger?  And not on pizza.

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
1/26/21 7:14 p.m.
Duke said:
triumph7 said:
AutoOccultist said:

In St. Louis they put this horrible stuff on a cracker called Provel and then try to sell it as pizza.  It not good on a hot pizza and its really bad on a cold pizza.  Then to make things worse all these Italian eateries grab on to it as some sort of St. Louis identity and start putting that horrible "cheese" in everything.

The absolute worst thing I had that was supposed to be pizza was in St Louis.  I don't remember the name of the place but it was advertised as "Rated best by St Louis Magazine".  We were there with a bunch of kids for a gymnastics meet.  Given the combination of kids and "pizza", even bad pizza, you wouldn't expect boxes of half eaten pizzas to be left in the hallways but..........

It was Slimo's... I mean Imo's, I guarantee it.

Like I said, 35 years later I'm still bitching about that pizza. It was really expensive, too.

Ahhh, Imo's... so bad even children won't eat it!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/26/21 7:43 p.m.

In reply to dropstep :

Well, I'll really gross you out. Steak should be rare and hamburgers medium rare. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/26/21 7:47 p.m.
noddaz said:
Streetwiseguy said:

Bologna and hot dogs are food only when there is absolutely no other food available.

How do you feel about braunschweiger?  And not on pizza.

Put it on some Rye toast for me, Cheetos on the side, Pilsner in a glass, and that is the best that lunch has ever been. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/26/21 7:50 p.m.

Also, IPAs are terrible

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/26/21 7:50 p.m.
02Pilot said:
preach (fs) said:

Scrapple- Nope.

This unimpeachable truth shouldn't even need to be mentioned among civilized company. But given some of the things I've read in this thread, maybe it's good you stated it explicitly.

Yeah, I've spent the majority of my life between coal country Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Eastern Shore Maryland.

I HATE SCRAPPLE.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
1/26/21 7:53 p.m.

What about mush? If you people know scrapple, surely you know mush?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/26/21 7:58 p.m.

I've not had actual mush, but I like grits. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
1/26/21 8:27 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

Also, IPAs are terrible

This ^

Can we stop pretending now?

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
1/26/21 11:05 p.m.

Looks like you guys were busy as I was sawing logs all day. So I have a few issues to address. 

Ketchup on a hot dog? I had it once, and even with the aid of a thesaurus cannot  find a word to describe the culinary tragedy that occurred that day. The combination was far greater than the sum of its parts, and not in a good way. Mustard is clearly the answer here. Onions only make it better. 

An anomaly, however, is Currywurst The minute I saw it I got that feeling in my throat when you eat something too rich and you wan t to throw up but your body won’t let you because it’s punishing you for treating it like a garbage can. But it works. It really works.  Seeing hotdogs wth ketchup also give me that feeling but,  it’s understandable because that really is garbage  

If I was on a date and the girl put ketchup on her well done steak that wouldn’t deter me. As long as I know she likes  sausage, she could order her filet with a blue cheese crust for all I care. I’m open minded that way  

No  butter here so a quality olive oil, salt and pepper is my go-to. I was eating that before the beautiful people discovered it. Add tomato on a nice piece of bread and That’s one of my favourite breakfasts. 

We make garlic bread by scoring and slicing lengthwise a baguette, drizzling olive oil, rubbing chopped garlic, then wrapping in parchment paper and baking for 10 mins. I can eat that alone as a meal. 

I consider the bread, the olive oil, meats, cheeses if you will or other toppings to be equal partners in crime . A quality bread is more than a mere vehicle. It’s a beautiful thing .

When I was watching my kids one day, they were hungry and I only had bread and a pkg of hot dogs. Sure I could have done the microwave thing , but that’s boring.  I sliced them lengthwise, opened them up, fried them in the pan and served them on toast with mustard. I called it a burnt weeny sandwich and they would ask for them after that. 

Where my wife’s from they have something called leberkase. Translation, liver cheese, but it contains neither. It’s like bologna but with more flavour. It’s common to fry a 10mm thick slice and serve an egg on top with potato salad on the side. Instead I put it on a pretzel bun with mustard. It’s like magic on a bun. 

And I don’t like bologna.

scrapple? Had to look it up  thank you, no, though I would probably try it . 

Grits? In the troubleshooting flow chart in my mind, when I see a food, the first question is, is it white? Do not proceed. If it’s wasn’t, the next question is, is it creamy? Do not proceed.  I don’t have to tell you how I feel  about grits  

I can’t believe that the modern IPA fad is still a thing. It seems like a race to the bottom, to see who can make the worst beer and still sell it. I bet the people that eat hotdogs with ketchup are the ones that buy it because it’s the only thing that’ll get that taste out of their mouth.

The whole 10mm socket thing is internet sensationalism. I've never lost one, and I don't get it.

Pineapple on pizza is delicious, and don't give me that authenticity crap. All pizza in this country is an American construct, just like Chinese food. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/27/21 6:39 a.m.

Also, IPAs are terrible

Thank you so much for this. I think they've gotten to thepoint that it's a contest to see who's brew has the most hoppiest hop hops in the hopsland. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/27/21 6:41 a.m.

Just looked up scrapple. I'd try it. Cant be an worse than that crap Aussie's eat, Vegimite. That stuff makes spam look like a hamburger.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/27/21 2:36 p.m.

For those not in the know, this is scrapple:

1)  IT'S GREY - I mean look at it

2)  It's basically made of all the animal byproduct crap that's not good enough to be hot dogs

3)  Because it has a lot of organ tissue, it stinks and is tough

4)  The chopped up offal is mixed with coarse cornmeal and lard, so it tastes and feels like you fried your driveway

5)  Even people who like scrapple can only eat it by frying a slice until it is nearly incinerated and then drowning it in ketchup, pancake syrup, or both

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/27/21 3:04 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) said:

Hot dogs?

The hot dog deal at Costco is hard to beat for value: a drink and a big dog for like $1.50 locally. I fix mine with kraut, brown mustard and some onions.

I prefer a Dogo, from Chihuahua.  A steamed bun spread with sour cream on one side, refried beans on the other.  Drop in the hot dog, wrapped in bacon.  Top with diced onions, mustard, ketchup, grated parmesan cheese.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/27/21 3:04 p.m.
bobzilla said:

Also, IPAs are terrible

Thank you so much for this. I think they've gotten to thepoint that it's a contest to see who's brew has the most hoppiest hop hops in the hopsland. 

We have never been more in agreement.

Old_Town
Old_Town Reader
1/27/21 3:11 p.m.

The hierarchy of breakfast sandwich meats from preferred to meh is: Pork roll > sausage > ham > bacon.

Unpopular, even in my own house, but I stand by my conviction.    

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/27/21 3:13 p.m.

Move bacon to #2 and you have my vote.

preach (fs)
preach (fs) HalfDork
1/27/21 3:51 p.m.
Duke said:

2)  It's basically made of all the animal byproduct crap that's not good enough to be hot dogs

4)  The chopped up offal is mixed with coarse cornmeal and lard, so it tastes and feels like you fried your driveway

5)  Even people who like scrapple can only eat it by frying a slice until it is nearly incinerated and then drowning it in ketchup, pancake syrup, or both

Perfect.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
1/27/21 4:13 p.m.
Duke said:

So much for the positives, does it have any downside?

CJ (FS)
CJ (FS) HalfDork
1/27/21 4:20 p.m.
Peabody said:
Duke said:

So much for the positives, does it have any downside?

Apparently people have eaten it and not died immediately.

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
1/27/21 4:53 p.m.

I once had some scrapple that I thought was staring at me...  But I was probably wrong.  Probably.

Fry it in a skillet till crispy, good to go.

6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h7Ou77x7kHzWhQMz7d7UJ26hvAqPSyzG2FXUJww3jH6uaycXChvzKmuC3C3IggMi