1 2
fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
7/2/12 8:40 a.m.
Secretariata wrote:
Luke wrote: I'm living in the dark ages over here...
That's about what my speeds show as well. It's supposed to be 3Mb/s down and 1Mb/s up but I've never gotten that. This speed does not work for streaming video. I think a min of 6Mb/s is probably what you need for streaming video for Netflix, Hulu, etc.

This looks like what I get at home on my Frontier/Verizon DSL - living out in the sticks has its disadvantages....

On a tangent - why do differing services give such differences on speed ratings? Below are two back-to-back readings I just took at work a minute ago. What's up with that? And yes, both are targeting servers in the NYC area.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UberDork
7/2/12 8:49 a.m.

If this is a connection with contention on it (ie, several customers using the available bandwidth, with the bandwidth being oversubscribed), your actual speed will depend on how many other customers will be looking at the hotlink thread at the same time.

There are types of services that offer guaranteed bandwidth (out here that's mostly the microwave guys) but you tend to pay extra for that and the nominal bandwidth tends to be lower.

Toyman01
Toyman01 PowerDork
7/2/12 8:53 a.m.

This is the office. It sucks.

The house is around 20 down and 3-5 up. It's usually running Netflix and 2-4 computers at a time without any speed issues.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UberDork
7/2/12 8:56 a.m.

That's what I get if/when everything is working. Which isn't always the case - when it gets hot out here we tend to get connection drops on a regular basis.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
7/2/12 9:11 a.m.

I'm in the sticks, DSL is the best I can get.

But it works well enough.

I would like to see the In-law's hughes net

failboat
failboat Dork
7/2/12 9:27 a.m.

I will post up a test when I get home. We just signed up for Exede Satellite internet.

its not like FiOS, but so far seems pretty legit and I don't have any complaints.

At first it wouldn't let me get on Xbox live, but when I turned on the Xbox yesterday it automatically logged me in, I was able to pick up some DLC and play a bunch of Rivals Events on Forza. I am pretty sure its too slow for actual head to head gameplay. Of course, all the advertised speeds are up to and there is no guarantee on speed. But it works for us and is our only option that isnt dialup.

(also frustrated that FiOS and everything is available a mere 2 blocks away)

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo UberDork
7/2/12 9:40 a.m.

Ugh. Time Warner Broadband. I wish we could get Uverse here. We can run Netflix and Xbox live gaming just fine though.

rainydave
rainydave New Reader
7/2/12 10:07 a.m.

I'm on Frontier's FIOS 50/20 plan. I have yet to actually achieve the 50 down, but it's not too bad.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
7/2/12 10:18 a.m.

I average 5 megs with u-verse and it works well for gaming. Around 1.5 upload.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
7/2/12 12:28 p.m.

67.99 download and 24.77 upload here at work. Fast.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x UltraDork
7/2/12 1:06 p.m.

You guys might want to check www.dslreports.com for advice on this. They have regional advice forums and you can compare speed tests on the site.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
7/2/12 1:11 p.m.

with our 18/2 plan or whatever it is we've got no prob streaming netflix HD to the roku and xbox at the same time while both kids watch netflix on their DS

I recall having no issues with the old att 6/1 DSL plan on the Wii for netflix...

failboat
failboat Dork
7/2/12 4:47 p.m.

Exede Satellite internet. Ping is through the roof lol.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
7/2/12 4:55 p.m.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
7/2/12 4:57 p.m.

Hai guise what's goin on?

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][/URL]

curtis73
curtis73 SuperDork
7/2/12 7:49 p.m.
fastEddie wrote: On a tangent - why do differing services give such differences on speed ratings? Below are two back-to-back readings I just took at work a minute ago. What's up with that? And yes, both are targeting servers in the NYC area.

Could be several reasons. There are some of those speed rating sites that are designed with service sponsorship in mind. They give you a false/low report and then say, "want to speed up your internet? Buy this!" Speedtest.net is pretty kosher.

DSL (phone line) uses the non-voice bandwidth to transmit digital signals over copper conductors. You tend to get slow peak speeds, but since you have a dedicated line back to the server, its not generally affected by what your neighbor is doing.

Cable uses coax which is capable of carrying more stuff, but you share the line with everyone on your street, the next street over, and all the streets back to the cable company. The throughput is massive, but if everyone decides to download something at the same time the available data transfer you actually get is pretty pathetic. Think of it like this: You rarely experience low water pressure, but if everyone on your street takes a shower at the same time you would notice a significant drop.

Fiberoptic typically uses a dedicated line to your house, its capable of massive amounts of data, and is usually pretty steady/stable.

Wireless internet like Clear is terribly variable. Every customer in the area shares the same tower. Since the wireless signal is heavily affected by humidity, wind, moon phase, sunspot activity, and the price of beans in China, it can be anywhere from great to crap.

A similar problem exists with satellite internet. When the weather is bad, the service is slower or intermittent.

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
7/2/12 9:14 p.m.

Country livin' DSL

Same result at closer server.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RF0KDWozIaAsd4E69DHVI94y1vYheMyD357ggLtl0Yosb61JbRQfytB5vYoHK60t