Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/10/23 2:19 p.m.

How would you prep chrome for plasti-dip?  I found a cheap rear bumper that's already black (for the Express van), but not finding an front bumpers.

It was suggested in another thread that I plasti-dip spray it.

Flap-wheel disc on a grinder?  Acid etch?  Sandblast?  

Something other than plasti-dip?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/10/23 2:42 p.m.

I don't think you want Plasti on the front bumper.  It's not a durable finish and it can not be scrubbed as if you were trying to get summer bugs off.

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
9/10/23 3:30 p.m.

Clean it well and spray it. I agree might not be the best option for a whole bumper but if you put enough coats on it I don't see why it wouldn't be durable enough to keep it clean. 

9/10/23 3:53 p.m.

Are there better options than plasti-dip... that don't require completely stripping the chrome?

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
9/10/23 3:56 p.m.

Only other thing I could think of is vinyl wrapping it, although the one time I tried that I gave up quickly and would much rather paint or plast-dip. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/10/23 5:56 p.m.

Give it a scuff and a dose of box liner.  Easy to touch up if it gets damaged.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
9/10/23 7:37 p.m.

If you don't mind a rough finish you could have it bed lined like a bed of a truck.  Sand it down so it is not shiny, etch prime it and spray a couple of cans on it.

It looks like this when done. Not too rough. 

9/10/23 9:47 p.m.

Bedliner isn't a bad idea.  I'll have to decide if the pebbly look is a bigger demerit than making it black is a bonus.  Wrapping is smart as well, but I have never tried it.  I'm fair at window tint film, but windows aren't all curvy and crazy

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue Dork
9/10/23 10:23 p.m.
EvanB said:

Clean it well and spray it. I agree might not be the best option for a whole bumper but if you put enough coats on it I don't see why it wouldn't be durable enough to keep it clean. 

+1. Nobody scuffs or sands painted cars before hosing them down with Plasti Dip. At least I sure hope they don't. 

Decades ago I read something in Street Rodder or a similar magazine indicating that the only way to prep chromed parts for paint was to strip the chrome off completely. I can't vouch for the accuracy of that that statement either then or now. Nevertheless, if I had a chrome part on which I wanted an OEM "black trim" look but didn't want to spend real money, Plasti Dip would be a strong contender.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
9/10/23 10:37 p.m.

For Plastidip, clean chrome with some 0000 steel wool and WD40 or similar to get all the high spots /bugs/road tar off, hit it with some prep solvent, and have at it.

I have never tried, but I bet you would be at least moderately successful, hitting the chrome with some VHT Epoxy Chassis Black in a semigloss sheen if you wanted a more permanent solution.  

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Dork
9/10/23 10:49 p.m.

How about direct to metal epoxy black satin spray paint? (I have no experience)

Amazon.com: VHT SP652 Satin Black Epoxy All Weather Paint Can - 11 oz.

93gsxturbo beat me to it. smiley

I would sand it down with 150 grit sandpaper and clean it with acetone.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
9/11/23 8:33 a.m.
John Welsh said:

I don't think you want Plasti on the front bumper.  It's not a durable finish and it can not be scrubbed as if you were trying to get summer bugs off.

Had I not had personal experience with the stuff, I would have agreed with your assessment. But, I bought a Ford Ranger that had been entirely covered in Plasti-Dip, then left to have moss grow on it. I reluctantly took a scrub brush to it, figuring the Dip would come off, but it was completely unfazed by my cleaning. Knowing the history of the truck, I seriously doubt any prep aside from maybe washing it had been done prior to application.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/11/23 10:15 a.m.

Outside the box solution: Find a chrome rear bumper?

9/11/23 6:00 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I have a chrome rear bumper right now but I bought a black bumper to ditch the chrome.  I want the front to match.  I already plasti-dipped the chrome grille bar and it hasn't sucked.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LXW6EBe0hgEi7h4gYhpNGO9s3S1oJ25gqOkoCoA93pWzXzc6EOwc0edbGdARF70S