Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
5/9/20 9:37 p.m.

Not sure how I feel about this.  Saw this today and the grocery store

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/9/20 9:47 p.m.

In reply to Kendall_Jones :

Weren't these built by the same company that did the Celica convertible conversions? Solara? Soarer?? Something like that...

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/9/20 9:52 p.m.

Stramen.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/9/20 10:38 p.m.

You could do a lot worse.  A lot.

Run_Away (Wears Clogs)
Run_Away (Wears Clogs) Dork
5/9/20 10:55 p.m.

Rare cars

https://bringatrailer.com/2017/05/01/straman-convertible-conversion-1986-honda-crx-hf/

Apparently only 309 made, and only 50 remaining in 2014.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
5/9/20 11:20 p.m.

The conversion was well done, car was a daily driver.  I've warmed up to it now that I've thought about it and had a whiskey :)

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/10/20 1:45 a.m.

Have you seen the FJ cruiser convertible? 

done local to me. Makes the crx look like it was designed by pininfarina

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/10/20 7:54 a.m.

A CRX convertible sounds like fun. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/10/20 8:46 a.m.

Better than the fake convertible tops you'be seen on Cadillacs and Buick for tge last 35 years. 

Why to geriatrics do that? They did that in the 80s, so the 65 year olds now, were only 30 then, yet the trend continues. I'm 41 and fake convertible top have never fooled me, and have never, ever looked cool. What happens?

Give me a real drop top any day.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/10/20 9:38 a.m.

Here is a more complete article (linked in the one above) on the conversion (well done, and reinforced).  The trunk is especially well done. 

https://jalopnik.com/i-just-bought-this-super-rare-honda-crx-convertible-1767626604

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/10/20 9:53 a.m.
Appleseed said:

You could do a lot worse.  A lot.

Yeah, I think that's pretty nice. I never even knew they existed. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
5/10/20 10:03 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Dang, I didn't need to read that, especially the road trip posts.

Now I want to do a fly-and-drive.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/10/20 10:07 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Better than the fake convertible tops you'be seen on Cadillacs and Buick for tge last 35 years. 

Why to geriatrics do that? They did that in the 80s, so the 65 year olds now, were only 30 then, yet the trend continues. I'm 41 and fake convertible top have never fooled me, and have never, ever looked cool. What happens?

Give me a real drop top any day.

Because as a throw-back to pre-war & brass-era cars they think it looks classy?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/10/20 10:12 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Those were terrible enough in the '70s, and then they became unforgivable in the '80s when aerodynamics meant the flush door heads visibly wrapped up into the "roadster" top. 

When I was driving the Pontiac top down on nice summer days, I would pull up next them at stop lights, get them to roll their windows down, and tell them they should drop the top and enjoy the beautiful weather. 

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater Reader
5/10/20 11:05 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Since I'll be 74 next week I'll make a geriatric guess since I've never cared for them. First, they predate the 80s by a long shot.l The first I recall are the 50 Fords that were made to compete with the GM hardtops& at about the same time Kaiser used them to upgrade  a standard Kaiser into the 'Green Dragon'. Don't recall ever seeing one of either in the wild. It was the 60s when these got really popular, not just on big boats but on pony cars, muscle cars & I don't know why. Absurdity is a Dodge Daytona with racing nose & wing & a vinyl top. I've seen several, it must have been a package.

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/10/20 11:10 a.m.

I like the convertible CRX. I'm surprised it looks pretty attractive with the top up. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/10/20 12:01 p.m.

That's a pretty well known conversion. I remember them from back in the day and of course the current crx community. 

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/10/20 12:19 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Have you seen the FJ cruiser convertible? 

done local to me. Makes the crx look like it was designed by pininfarina

I always wondered why they didn’t do a removable hardtop, now I know. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/10/20 2:01 p.m.

In reply to purplepeopleeater :

Vinyl tops are one thing, fake convertible tops are another.   I was born in 1965 and vinyl tops were already very common. 

But the fake convertibles are often fabric and have battens under them to mimic the ribs of the frame, etc. I don't ever remember seeing them until after real convertibles went away in the mid '70s. 

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
5/11/20 5:35 p.m.

I think that one reason vinyl tops were used in the beginning was to hide bad body seams & other shoddiness.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
5/12/20 8:38 a.m.

There's a Prelude convertible in my area. Blew my mind the first time I saw it. Rare as well.

dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/12/20 9:18 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

I had one that would blow your mind: a fake vinyl top! It was a steel roof that had been textured and had fake seams applied to it. It was on my 1966 Pontiac Bonneville Superior Consort hearse/ambulance combo. It was factory applied (by Superior). So weird.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
5/12/20 9:49 a.m.

The Stramans look goofy with the top up, IMO, but top down they look cool.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/12/20 11:35 a.m.
purplepeopleeater said:

Absurdity is a Dodge Daytona with racing nose & wing & a vinyl top. I've seen several, it must have been a package.

Chrysler also had the floral pattern 'mod top' vinyl roof option back then...

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
5/12/20 5:50 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Was this a test to see if we noticed Big Foot in the background?

If you say "hey man, that was my prom date", allow me to apologize in advance. cheeky

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v9vvFUAL8NhHu1557rD9iV12mQBl4NmUThc4dG7oiSGhtOFl6sV9D2WWP6AFQOxT