JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
7/7/15 8:59 p.m.

So grm here is the story, my mom is having major issues with her husqvarna riding mower and her local "dealer" employs dumbasses who either forget to do things entirely or don't properly fix.

We think its at least 4 years old (dad got it before diagnosed with cancer) but more likely around 6-8, she has about 3 acres of coastal Maine to take care of (that is not trees lol) and I'm about 650 miles away so reliable and tough are the 2 major prerequisites, and remember the nearest home depot/wal-mart/john deere are about an hour away and she does not have a truck.

Please help me GRM!!!

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
7/7/15 9:03 p.m.

If it were my mom I'd tell her to fix the one she has, help her sell it and use that money towards paying someone else to worry about it.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
7/7/15 9:05 p.m.

Goats. Or sheep.

Both are self maintaining, self propelled, and dead nuts reliable.

No riding mower i have any experience with is aa reliable as livestock.

Only thing that comes close is older pony tractors, and things powered by honda small engines.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
7/7/15 9:14 p.m.

I am happy with the new addition to our fleet: a 1969 Wheel Horse Raider 12. Nice little tractor that a shorty like me can fit on, and dead simple. Lots of attachments available, mowing deck up to 48", dozer blade, snowblower (if you get serious snow that the dozer blade can't handle) utility cart, etc. Even has a cigar lighter built in so you can mow in style. :-)

This may or may not fit your situation.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
7/7/15 10:04 p.m.

I have a Honda riding mower and even it has had some problems. The engine has been perfect. I've had to replace the pulley on the trans twice and both replaced belts several times. Honda doesn't make riding mowers anymore, but you can find them on Craiglist.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
7/7/15 10:32 p.m.
nepa03focus wrote: If it were my mom I'd tell her to fix the one she has, help her sell it and use that money towards paying someone else to worry about it.

If possible, this.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
7/8/15 4:43 a.m.

Home Depot's and Walmarts are useless for service. That's a very good reason for her not to buy from them.

In this case, I'd strongly suggest locating the nearest real equipment dealerships, and going with whatever they carry. Brand really doesn't matter, service does. A real dealership, one that does pickup and delivery, on-site servicing, etc.

Yes, it will cost more than buying from Home Depot (probably). But she will have a place that will pick it up and give it a yearly tuneup, as well fix it when it breaks in her yard.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo HalfDork
7/8/15 4:50 a.m.

lawn service.

done.

-J0N

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
7/8/15 5:19 a.m.

Kubota.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
7/8/15 7:54 a.m.

Do they have illegal immigrants in Maine?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
7/8/15 8:49 a.m.

Sure, they are called Canadians

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
7/8/15 7:06 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

Someone has to rake the blueberries

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
7/8/15 7:12 p.m.

I would love to help repair the mower, but you have to remember I'm over 600mi away and it's fishing season so anyone I know is extremely busy trying to get the best damn lobsters you've had.

Dad used to keep up with the mower and mowing almost to an obsession So mom had a steep learning curve when he passed 2years ago, though she is overcoming quite well.

Thank you everyone will have to check out prices later this week.

allen_m
allen_m New Reader
7/8/15 10:48 p.m.

John Deere from your local John Deere tractor dealer. Expensive-yes, service-yes, pick-up and delivery for service? they pick up the big ones why not the little ones, just have to ask when go to buy one.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
7/9/15 6:34 a.m.

I bought a Husqvarna last year with the Kawasaki engine. It has been faultless if a bit thirsty. I mow 4 acres of grass with it. It's new though...

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
7/9/15 7:43 a.m.

I bought one of the LA series john deere mowers you see at LowEsDepot, my old 318 seemed to need work regularly. I've been very happy with it, I purchased it from the JD dealer and it was cheaper than the big box store and they delivered it for free.

crewperson
crewperson New Reader
7/9/15 11:47 a.m.

Why are we mowing 3 acres of grass? How about just letting it grow to kind of a meadow.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
7/9/15 3:15 p.m.

I second the thought of checking the local dealer to see what they have. I ended up buying a 48" Gravely zero turn at the beginning of this season for that reason. Less than 20 hours on it so far, but it's been great. New design series Kohler 25HP engine (time will tell.) Decreased my mowing time from 2.5 hours on a 42" tractor style to 45 minutes. And that doesn't count having to fix the damn old one every time I wanted to mow. It's so fast it's actually fun to mow.

Best of all I've got a local company with a good rep to handle any issues, it's got a 3 year total warranty, and with 0% financing it's costing me half of the cheapest monthly quote I got for mowing. Even including fuel and basic maintenance.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
7/9/15 3:28 p.m.

Well after digging around I found another dealer somewhat close, going to give them a call tomorrow morning, apparently my dad used to take the quad up there for tuneups So that's a plus.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vkXMbWRODd5sF74adDh4Doed091CWpwZ9KRag5WD4r8A5g6WaPaw6azzFZY73KM0