1 2
neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/11/09 3:28 p.m.

I was under the assumption that the technic line was discontinued around 2000 when Bionocle came out. Or maybe the store around me just stoped carrying them. Any way my favorite line is back. Time to start playing again

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
2/11/09 3:41 p.m.

Uh oh...

a good excuse for daddy to buy presents for the kids ;). My daughters will likely grow up to be gearheads. Gearhead girls with a very proud father.

Clem

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin HalfDork
2/11/09 4:08 p.m.

I played with Legos all the time when I was a kid. I still want this kit sooo badly!:

Technic Supercar FTW. It also came with instructions on how to turn it into a Formula 1-style car. Sucks that these kits are so rare nowadays.

P71
P71 Dork
2/11/09 5:20 p.m.

Are those pop-up headlights? That kit is frickin sweet!

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin HalfDork
2/11/09 5:37 p.m.

V-8 engine, independant suspension all around, pop-up headlights, 4-wheel drive and steering w/ 3 differentials, 4-speed H-gate transmission, etc., etc. Read about it here:

http://alumni.cse.ucsc.edu/~dulcaoin/reviews/noframes/8880-2.html

I found one for sale on eBay... Australia. The guy won't ship to the US, either.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/11/09 6:03 p.m.

I found the super car in britan on ebay, waiting on a shipping quote to the states before i bid

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin HalfDork
2/11/09 9:07 p.m.

Let us know how it goes!

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
2/11/09 9:10 p.m.

Technic never really left. Some years kit were better than others. Remember LEGO Model Team? I lusted over that big rig.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/11/09 9:15 p.m.

I now have a bid in on the super car, but the listing is up for 5 more days

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Dork
2/11/09 9:17 p.m.
ArtOfRuin wrote: I played with Legos all the time when I was a kid. I still want this kit sooo badly!: Technic Supercar FTW. It also came with instructions on how to turn it into a Formula 1-style car. Sucks that these kits are so rare nowadays.

Here's one on ebay.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/11/09 9:18 p.m.

^^ thats the one I'm bidding on

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Dork
2/11/09 9:25 p.m.

I promise not to bid on it. Although, it is very sweet... maybe I'll just bid a little... j/k

Keith
Keith SuperDork
2/11/09 10:25 p.m.

I had this one:

It even had a working gearbox, if I remember right. I reworked it into a kick-ass dune buggy. As you do with that kind of car.

What I like about it is the lack of special for-this-kit parts. Check out the kitchen faucets reused as spark plugs!

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
2/12/09 12:49 a.m.

as far as i know technic never went away

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
2/12/09 2:36 a.m.

Keith, you had the granddy of them all. That bugger was one of the first $100+ kits, if I remember correctly. Wonder what a complete kits worth nowadays?

ZOOMiata
ZOOMiata Dork
2/12/09 5:15 a.m.

We built this one in 2005:

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
2/12/09 7:56 a.m.

OK technically not Technic but this thing is begging for some R/C parts! 1:9 scale Ferrari F1 - 20" long and 7" wide

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=8157&cn=112&d=70

And yeah, Technic never went away, must have just been your local stores.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
2/12/09 9:19 a.m.

I want to figure out how to build this

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/fully-automatic-lego-uzi

A fully auto rubber band gun

Keith
Keith SuperDork
2/12/09 11:58 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Keith, you had the granddy of them all. That bugger was one of the first $100+ kits, if I remember correctly. Wonder what a complete kits worth nowadays?

I was lucky enough to be traveling with my parents through Europe for several months in 1984 (I think), including a stop in Legoland. So we probably picked that kit up at the source. I remember a rack where you could buy individual Technic pieces, either at Legoland or in some huge German toy store. Technic hit Europe before it got to Canada, so I was ahead of the curve! I learned a lot from that stuff, like how a differential works. My friends would come over and play with Lego, and while they were making houses I'd be making functional double-wishbone suspensions.

I still have all the components of the kit, I'm sure. Maybe even the destructions. But not the packaging, so the collectors won't be interested.

If I had a kid, I'd be combining Technic and Mindstorms.

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
2/12/09 4:28 p.m.

I had this Model Team set:

I need to go through all of my Legos at my dad's house... I have thousands upon thousands of pieces. Definitely one of my best memories throughout my childhood.

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
2/13/09 1:19 a.m.

Anyone like LEGO robots? Not the gimpy Mind Storms one, but full on Japanese style super seizure sci-fi robots? Look no further:

http://www.mechahub.com/

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
2/13/09 1:34 a.m.

new technic off roader

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=8297&cn=57&d=70

only $120

although, i picked this one up at the GM carlisle year before last

NEENER NEENER NEENER! best $38 i ever spent!

(it was an unopened kit and it was FUN to build, i didnt realize how much i missed legos)

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
2/13/09 1:40 a.m.

oh golly, i want this one SOOOoooo bad.. a more detailed version of the one i have...

http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=8674

lego ferrari F1 with working suspension!

must start hunting for this for myself!

Clay
Clay Reader
2/13/09 7:10 a.m.

Ahh, taking me back to my youth. I have a theory that the two most common denominators with engineers (or tinkerers in general) in my age range are a childhood (or adult) interest in Legos and MacGyver. I loved Technic and I always wanted to build the Dragster one. My mom insisted I save my old Legos since I played with them so much so I gotta pull those out. I'm glad I have a son now as he is the perfect excuse to buy some of this stuff. ME: Our son would love the Ferrari F1 kit MY WIFE: But, he's only 1!

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
2/13/09 8:46 a.m.

It's never too early to start! My son is now 7 and probably has more Legos than I ever had - not that I encourage or enable him or anything. I do keep my Technic and the "family" Mindstorms sets separate though.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3APxTtcaY6vhk2LX61INaI0moreVVgFEqOoGcnPYVvLtGkZGRGnyfNtWs3y3IWMq