Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
10/6/14 11:31 a.m.

Hmm, I was in 11th, wonder where I am now?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/6/14 11:43 a.m.

Lost one cement shoe with just a 3-digit loss. I'd like to get out of bubble-surfing altogether at this point. It can pay off well but it's a crazy ride.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/6/14 11:45 a.m.

Does the game handle splits automatically?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/6/14 12:04 p.m.

berkeley yeah, just went overall positive!

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
10/6/14 1:38 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Today is ridiculous.

Yes.

Stuff is all over the place.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/6/14 2:27 p.m.

Took a $7K bath on a stock that I actually had the sell order placed, and changed my mind over the weekend and cancelled the sell order.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/6/14 2:28 p.m.

So let's say i want to sell a stock when it hits a certain dollar amount. (going UP from purchase.)

Is that "limit" or "stop?"

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/6/14 2:59 p.m.

BOOM

SHAKA

LAKA

Look where I am now!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/6/14 5:03 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Took a $7K bath on a stock that I actually had the sell order placed, and changed my mind over the weekend and cancelled the sell order.

Arrgh.

I actually lost $13,500 on that one stock today. Should have left well enough alone.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
10/6/14 6:30 p.m.

I put an order in Friday night for a stock that I think will be a winner. It really brought down the average today, big loss. I'm sticking it out though, I still believe I'll come out in the good.

Flynlow
Flynlow Reader
10/6/14 7:08 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: What are unrealized gains and how do they become realized? I currently have 48k in unrealized gains. What are the chances of an afternoon rebound?

Unrealized gains mean you haven't sold the stock yet. Once you sell it, it becomes a realized gain.

Flynlow
Flynlow Reader
10/6/14 7:23 p.m.

What the hell, I'm in. Should be fun.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/7/14 7:48 a.m.

Whoa, Swank shot ahead of all of us overnight

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
10/7/14 7:53 a.m.

My guess is that he bought a lot of high dollar stocks that were dropping like rocks. Then he pulled up his socks and sold those blocks.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/7/14 7:56 a.m.

Well, he said he was good at poker.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/7/14 8:44 a.m.

GIGGLE

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/7/14 8:47 a.m.
PHeller wrote: My guess is that he bought a lot of high dollar stocks that were dropping like rocks. Then he pulled up his socks and sold those blocks.

Actually, no....

Those are legit gains.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/7/14 8:53 a.m.

Ok but seriously...

Say i have a stock that's currently hanging around $2.50. I want to sell when it hits $2.80. How do i set that up ahead of time?

Limit or Stop? And how?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/7/14 8:54 a.m.

Ow and it looks like I'm gonna eat dirt when the market opens. Every stock I have is going the wrong way for me.

Edit: Oh except one that I spent my concrete shoe money on. Still not good.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
10/7/14 8:57 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Ok but seriously... Say i have a stock that's currently hanging around $2.50. I want to sell when it hits $2.80. How do i set that up ahead of time? Limit or Stop? And how?

Stop.

On your portfolio page, click trade. Put in the # of shares you want to sell, and click "stop" for order type. Put in the price you want to sell at there.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/7/14 9:00 a.m.

Ah ok got it. I think i figured out how to buy and sell with the stop. Thanks!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/7/14 9:21 a.m.

Annnnnd the site eats it.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
10/7/14 9:37 a.m.

Yep

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/7/14 10:40 a.m.

So I guess Limit is the opposite of Stop where a short is cashed when the stock drops below a certain value?

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
10/7/14 10:44 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

In theory, but I just got hosed on that and it automatically sold it for the limit I placed on it while the market price was 40 cents higher.....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GrAYrENyEmfyye67VfJGyB1zL385EU7es65N7GXqJXHlZ0IVQPJOLCVS1nRmk3CN