Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
10/9/14 3:33 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: Three straight days of losses... I'm not panicking I'm not panicking I'm not panicking

I have been out of the red once since starting.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
10/9/14 3:41 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

I'm getting hammered on several that will more than likely skyrocket at the end of the year.

BTW, do we get dividends accounted for on this game? If so, I might win off that alone.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
10/9/14 8:07 p.m.

Shorted DJIA at the beginning of the game. Decided that was a bad move and sold it at a loss on Friday. Grrr.

jsquared
jsquared Reader
10/10/14 6:56 a.m.

I went from 20th to 1st in one day (now in 2nd... pre-market trading something or other? I don't get it). I took a rather large risk on something I think is a short-term jump (few months at best, few weeks maybe), I'm leaning towards holding a little while longer since I think it'll stick for a bit, but if it tanks I'm toast

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
10/10/14 7:58 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Who is invested in Tesla? They're unveiling The D today. I giggled.

Holy E36 M3. Quite the announcement... wonder what will happen with the stock today.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/10/14 9:01 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: Who is invested in Tesla? They're unveiling The D today. I giggled.
Holy E36 M3. Quite the announcement... wonder what will happen with the stock today.

It tanked hard

Well I'm $20k in the negative now...

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/10/14 9:01 a.m.

I guess The D wasn't good?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/10/14 9:05 a.m.

The market apparently hates the D!

Edit: What I've learned about investing so far is "Keep your money out of the stock market. It is a silly place."

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
10/10/14 9:14 a.m.

The D looks good to me, not sure why the stock dropped so much.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/10/14 9:33 a.m.

The delay and unpredictability in it is completely annoying.

My Portfolio page never agrees with my Rankings page, and trades are made at random times and amounts, rather than when I enter them for the amounts I enter.

I could deal with a 20 min delay. I can't deal with a delay that can be anywhere from instantaneous to nearly 12 hours later.

My portfolio moves drastically from market close to about 8:00 PM every day. Last night, it fluctuated until well after 10:00 PM, and my rank shifted again from the time I went to bed until when I woke up (long before the market opened)

I count that as officially "broken". It feels like I am playing a baseball game, and my home run may or may not count, and after I win the game, the tournament rankings may change again tomorrow.

I'm not too sure about this. It's not fun, if the rules and guidelines to the game are undefined.

I understand the market is unpredictable. I do not understand why the posting within the game is unpredictable.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
10/10/14 9:43 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Yeah it's very annoying.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
10/10/14 9:48 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Do you happen to have stocks that are traded on London & Tokyo? I do, hence why mine fluctuates through the night.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
10/10/14 10:15 a.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to SVreX: Do you happen to have stocks that are traded on London & Tokyo? I do, hence why mine fluctuates through the night.

That would make sense. All of my stocks & funds are NYSE only, and don't change when the market is closed.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/10/14 10:16 a.m.

Yeah there's a big delay on the other markets, let alone that they don't close at the same time as the NYSE.

When i jumped from last to first, it was on a Tokyo market stock, which is why that was so confusing for you guys.

The game doesn't seem to be delaying for me at all other than in the rankings.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/10/14 10:18 a.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to SVreX: Do you happen to have stocks that are traded on London & Tokyo? I do, hence why mine fluctuates through the night.

Well, that could offer SOME explanation.

But not anywhere near enough.

So, for example, last night I watched it toggle back and forth between the same 2 numbers for over an hour. One minute it said one number, 5 minutes later it said the other. Back and forth. It was about a $12k discrepancy. One number ranked me in third place, the other 7th. I was 9th when I got up this morning (with neither of those numbers being correct).

That's not a delayed post or a fluctuation. It's just annoying.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
10/10/14 10:42 a.m.

"Hmm...lets see how we're doing today..."

"Oh, everything is in red. Ok."

closes tab

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/10/14 10:44 a.m.

On the bright side I may get an opportunity to rid myself of the last stock I'm sure I want nothing to do with anymore.

Having second thoughts about Apple again. Thanks Carl Icahn!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/10/14 10:45 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

Yeah, Carl influenced me too.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/10/14 10:47 a.m.

I'm not sure the sarcasm came across

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/10/14 10:51 a.m.

Market's suddenly rebounding, threw away the last concrete shoe just a little after it bottomed out.

So this crazy game of musical chairs is the backbone of the world economy? Damn.

Edit: Oh and now I got my first 5-digit loss on a single stock.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/10/14 11:03 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Market's suddenly rebounding, threw away the last concrete shoe just a little after it bottomed out. So this crazy game of musical chairs is the backbone of the world economy? Damn. Edit: Oh and now I got my first 5-digit loss *on a single stock.*

I lose 5-digits on a single stock daily. It's cool.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
10/10/14 1:56 p.m.

Grrr. Fundamentally I like all of my current holdings. But damn. The only one that is "up" is my short on GPRO and I think it still has a long way to fall, so I want to keep it. All of the losses I'm hoping are short term but crap that's a lot of red.

I like the game. I think it's teaching me that having THIS MUCH awareness of the day to day would be a bad thing for me...

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
10/10/14 1:59 p.m.

In reply to DILYSI Dave:

I'm still not panicking, but if I had any real money in it would be a different story.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/10/14 2:37 p.m.

According to how my stock in a big renewable energy company is doing, the future is going to look like Blade Runner. At least we'll have flying cars, right?

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
10/10/14 3:26 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

I'm glad to see that 60+ trades can equate to the same outcome as someone with 7 trades....the sad thing is, WuTang is doing better with nothing but cell carriers, fried chicken, gold and diamonds....If reparations happen this year, that one will be the investment goldmine.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZGIhxJbJNpF6oHakhKIx93dwVkeAb7sl3YJffSODvNS9BPxLIOF9oZdLgRGl1DZB