3 4 5 6 7
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/1/14 8:26 a.m.

How many hours 'til the start now? One of the stocks I ordered is about to jump!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
10/1/14 8:29 a.m.

1 minute. Market opens at 9:30 AM Eastern

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
10/1/14 8:44 a.m.

Woohoo! Open 15 minutes and I've already lost $3k! BOOM!

EDIT: Why cant I buy any Hyundai or Kia stock?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/1/14 8:50 a.m.

I can't figure out how to sync this stuff exactly to Google Finance. I can get it close by manually entering, but the numbers don't quite match.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/1/14 9:14 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Woohoo! Open 15 minutes and I've already lost $3k! BOOM! EDIT: Why cant I buy any Hyundai or Kia stock?

I've "lost" even more, but much of it is in shorted stocks so that's going well.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
10/1/14 9:24 a.m.

I'm leading with a current loss of .0011%......go me!!!!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
10/1/14 9:25 a.m.

None of my orders are going through. WTF.

Edit: I just cancelled them all and placed new orders. They are just sitting there in my portfolio under "orders". No transaction yet though and no holdings. My buying power is reduced by the correct amount though. Any ideas why this is happening?

Edit: I was able to buy an individual stock, just no index stuff. Crap.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/1/14 9:36 a.m.

I had a couple of them not go through at all as well, just sitting there. Cancelled them, dumped the money into another company that's losing me much money.

While i sit here watching the company i tried to order make money.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/1/14 9:40 a.m.

In less than 3 seconds, I lost $1400.

This shouldn't take long!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/1/14 9:42 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

My stock purchases went through, but not my funds.

Maybe they finalize at close? Do they have a different delay?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/1/14 9:44 a.m.

$1400 is just noise in the signal when you're dealing with 7-digit amounts, stay calm.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
10/1/14 9:46 a.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to ProDarwin: My stock purchases went through, but not my funds. Maybe they finalize at close? Do they have a different delay?

Yeah, same here. Just a dumb mistake. I was buying the ticker for the mutual fund, not the ETF. I cancelled them and bought the ETF. Too used to buying through Fidelity.

CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith Reader
10/1/14 9:58 a.m.

Can anyone actually see me (Keith Hamilton) in the rankings?

I'm not sure how this works since I am the administrator or if I have to create a new account. That'll bum me out if I have to create a new account to play the game I started. LOL

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/1/14 9:58 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
SVreX wrote: In reply to ProDarwin: My stock purchases went through, but not my funds. Maybe they finalize at close? Do they have a different delay?
Yeah, same here. Just a dumb mistake. I was buying the ticker for the mutual fund, not the ETF. I cancelled them and bought the ETF. Too used to buying through Fidelity.

Explain to me the difference.

I probably did the same thing.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/1/14 10:00 a.m.
CamaroKeith wrote: Can anyone actually see me (Keith Hamilton) in the rankings? I'm not sure how this works since I am the administrator or if I have to create a new account. That'll bum me out if I have to create a new account to play the game I started. LOL

I don't see you in the rankings now, I think you were on the list before the game started.

CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith Reader
10/1/14 10:00 a.m.

What I'm also not understanding is why there are 21 players signed up but I only see 12 of them. I'm assuming its because the other 8 (you 12 peeps on the leader board, me, who might not be visible to you all) haven't made any trades yet.

CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith Reader
10/1/14 10:01 a.m.

maybe it needs a bit to update

I'll check back in, later

CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith Reader
10/1/14 10:02 a.m.

ETF's are traded just like a stock (exchange traded fund)

A mutual fund is a little differently. It is priced at the end of the day, once all the holdings are reconciled. Because the game started today, maybe you can't actually buy mutual funds until tomorrow. I don't know; this is a new one on me.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
10/1/14 10:02 a.m.
SVreX wrote:
ProDarwin wrote:
Explain to me the difference. I probably did the same thing.

For example: VTSMX is a total market index mutual fund. You can see it/search it from any stock trading site, buy only purchase it from Vanguard. There is an ETF (exchange traded fund) for it called VTI. You find this by googling for a fund + ETF. Buying VTI is just like buying the fund from vanguard except its traded on the market - not through vanguard only. This means you are paying standard commissions on it which you wouldn't through vanguard, but it also means you don't have short term penalties for selling.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/1/14 10:03 a.m.

Does that mean you can purchase mutual funds in the game, but they will not credit until the end of the day?

CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith Reader
10/1/14 10:06 a.m.

OK, so now I can see me on the leaderboard.

I think as people buy, they'll start showing up. I wasn't able to buy anything until this AM

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
10/1/14 10:08 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Does that mean you can purchase mutual funds in the game, but they will not credit until the end of the day?

Good question, but I doubt it. Mutual funds are usually only offered through certain investment banks, and their behavior can change (for example your expense ratio will go down as you invest more $ into a fund). Why not just find and buy the ETF for each? (assuming there is one)

CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith Reader
10/1/14 10:13 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Does that mean you can purchase mutual funds in the game, but they will not credit until the end of the day?

I think that is what happens. I'll try to experiment with this later unless someone has definitive answer. The reason being is that they are not priced until the end of the day (vs. and ETF which is priced throughout the day).

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/1/14 10:13 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

I can, but not until tonight. I am trying to work.

The first one I looked up had no ETF. No more time now.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/1/14 10:45 a.m.

Whoa, did CyberArk Software just invent something that makes your computer give BJs!?!?

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rPbf0oZ4yHshaCo4dERh1tNHHKWNM9yC0DtS3JEF06oNpKCr2wCwK6fmS0Rss285