RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
9/18/20 5:21 p.m.

Click here to fund your new bank account.

We're sorry, your credit union isn't supported by our 3rd party verification program, send yourself an invoice to fund your business account.

Invoice sent and received

Click here to  review and pay

Here is the review.

WHERE THE berkeley IS THE PAY? There's no pay button. If it won't work when I send it to myself, how can I trust it to send to others? And more importantly, how am I supposed to put money into the account?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/18/20 6:30 p.m.
daeman said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
wae said:
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

You know what can berkeley right off?  Everyone making build videos trying to be the next youtube cleetus mogul and buy their own track.  berkeley that.  I don't have time to watch your 20 minute mansplanation of what you can show me in a sentence with a before, during, and after picture.  "Oh hey dere look at me i'm wrenchin on a car up here in canada in da snow, eh."  berkeley you

That's right up there with the recipes that start off with a novella about your grandmother and chilly fall mornings or some bullE36 M3.  I'm standing here in the berkeleying grocery store trying to figure out what the hell I'm going to make for dinner tonight, I need the list of ingredients not your life story.

Well also Life of Boris, because the foods remind me of grandma's cooking.

On a chilly fall morning?

Somewhat relevant, actually, because he bitches about YouTube screwing over content creators from outside the US.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/18/20 8:04 p.m.
RevRico said:

Click here to fund your new bank account.

We're sorry, your credit union isn't supported by our 3rd party verification program, send yourself an invoice to fund your business account.

Invoice sent and received

Click here to  review and pay

Here is the review.

WHERE THE berkeley IS THE PAY? There's no pay button. If it won't work when I send it to myself, how can I trust it to send to others? And more importantly, how am I supposed to put money into the account?

FWIW I've found much the same issue every time I try a credit union

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
9/18/20 8:09 p.m.

I know they say you have to eat the elephant one bite at a time, but that won't work if the metaphorical elephant keeps expanding faster than my ability to chew.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/18/20 11:00 p.m.

I'm not sure how much more of 2020 the populace can endure.   The Overton Window shifts and we all shift along with it but c'mon already and give us a break.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
9/19/20 6:57 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) :

Yup. Also, my county is on fire. Took this from the employee entrance of my factory-

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
9/19/20 8:51 a.m.

The ordeal of the valve cover continues. For those just tuning in, I have a 1999 Miata engine in my 1990 Miata, which results in a valve cover with some extraneous unplugged sensors. I decided to get a '94-'97 valve cover, which would get rid of those ugly unused sensors, and send it out to get powdercoated to match the rollbar at the same time. I bought a valve cover from Miatamecca, then sent it to a place in PA to get powdercoated. I then waited 2 months without any word from the company. Finally they call me and tell me they media-blasted the valve cover and found a huge crack and a bunch of bondo. Weird, I didn't notice any of that when I inspected it. So they need to send it out to get it welded, and they'll call me with an estimate before they go any further, in case the estimate is larger than the cost of a valve cover. Two weeks later they call me and tell me the company they sent it to never gave them an estimate, just welded it up and the repair will be $60, plus the cost of the powder is more expensive than their site lists, taking my estimate from $75 to $150. Okay. Two weeks later the valve cover shows up at my house, I start unwrapping it, the color looks great, and then I get the last layer of bubble wrap off and realize it's a Honda B-series valve cover. Call the powdercoat shop back up and basically go "What the hell?" They dive into their paperwork and discover that my Miata valve cover showed up the same days as a shipment of B-series valve covers that they bought for inventory and the invoices got swapped. So they refund me the powdercoat charge and the repair (because my valve cover indeed wasn't cracked), I sent them back the Honda valve cover and yesterday, 2 weeks later, my Miata valve cover arrived. Got all excited to put it on and discovered that for some reason I had ordered a 1.6L valve cover gasket. So now, I can't, because I have the wrong gasket. Agggghhhhhhh

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
9/19/20 9:08 a.m.

Politics. That's my rant. 

9/19/20 11:15 a.m.

I'm looking for a basic work truck, something early 90ish with the 300 i6. They are harder to find than you'd think but every time I bring up the fact that I'm looking for the i6 intentionally I always get the get-the-v8 speech or asked why I would ever want a 6 cyl truck.

Is it so weird that I want an engine that'll last forever and has a track record of doing so? I pretty much universally like i6s, there's a lot of good engines there. For Ford in the early 90s or so you have the i6, which is a great truck engine, the 302, which is......ok as a truck engine, the 351, which is also.....ok, and the 460 which gets negative mpg. None are stupid powerful.

I can't be the only one who likes a nice torquey smooth inline 6 am I?

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
9/19/20 11:16 a.m.

berkeleying Honda rotor screws

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/19/20 11:18 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Just drill the heads out and forget em. They're not really necessary. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/19/20 11:24 a.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm looking for a basic work truck, something early 90ish with the 300 i6. They are harder to find than you'd think but every time I bring up the fact that I'm looking for the i6 intentionally I always get the get-the-v8 speech or asked why I would ever want a 6 cyl truck.

Is it so weird that I want an engine that'll last forever and has a track record of doing so? I pretty much universally like i6s, there's a lot of good engines there. For Ford in the early 90s or so you have the i6, which is a great truck engine, the 302, which is......ok as a truck engine, the 351, which is also.....ok, and the 460 which gets negative mpg. None are stupid powerful.

The only truck I would ever consider owning would be an early 90s E-350 with kingpins and a 4.9/C6 drivetrain.  Only real downside is having to replace the oil pan on one SUUUUUCKS compared to a V8 (which only SUUCKS) but you only have to do that every 3-4 years.

You also get 215/85R16 tires for extra narrow MPG, and giant lug nuts.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/19/20 11:25 a.m.
RevRico said:

SOMEbody's working on a Fit.

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
9/19/20 11:31 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

2012 civic. "Brakes are squealing but stopping fine". The rotors are almost berkeleyed, I found out as I was getting ready to do the pads.

Another $80 at Napa and maybe I'll do it tomorrow instead.

Which leaves me today to get yet another battery for the Ranger, because God forbid I let it sit more than 3 days without pulling the kill switch even though there's no draw on the system at all.

9/19/20 1:07 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

The only truck I would ever consider owning would be an early 90s E-350 with kingpins and a 4.9/C6 drivetrain.  Only real downside is having to replace the oil pan on one SUUUUUCKS compared to a V8 (which only SUUCKS) but you only have to do that every 3-4 years.

You also get 215/85R16 tires for extra narrow MPG, and giant lug nuts.

One of our work vans is an 88 with the 4.9/c6 combo. Had it for a long time too

9/19/20 1:08 p.m.

Also Flaviar won't ship scotch to my state, found a scotch my wife loves but I can't find locally on Flaviar too

Rodan
Rodan Dork
9/19/20 7:03 p.m.

For Ford in the early 90s or so you have the i6, which is a great truck engine, the 302, which is......ok as a truck engine, the 351, which is also.....ok, and the 460 which gets negative mpg. None are stupid powerful.

Nope.  The 4.9 six is a great engine.

BTW... a stock 460 will usually get better gas mileage in the same truck than a stock 351W.  And have more power.  wink

wae
wae UltraDork
9/19/20 7:27 p.m.

This is probably a repeat, but I hated algebra the first time I took it.  I'm not enjoying trying to learn it again so I can teach my daughter.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/19/20 7:55 p.m.

In reply to wae :

FOIL.  First, outside, inside, last.  

That's all you need.  

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/19/20 7:57 p.m.
RevRico said:

HF Impact screwdriver. Or drill them out. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/19/20 8:50 p.m.
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) said:
RevRico said:

HF Impact screwdriver. Or drill them out. 

The TSX actually busted my HF impact screwdriver. 

wae
wae UltraDork
9/19/20 8:54 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to wae :

FOIL.  First, outside, inside, last.  

That's all you need.  

You seem to have misspelled "whisky".  Because that's what I need.

9/19/20 9:55 p.m.
Rodan said:

For Ford in the early 90s or so you have the i6, which is a great truck engine, the 302, which is......ok as a truck engine, the 351, which is also.....ok, and the 460 which gets negative mpg. None are stupid powerful.

Nope.  The 4.9 six is a great engine.

BTW... a stock 460 will usually get better gas mileage in the same truck than a stock 351W.  And have more power.  wink

You are not wrong,in fact that's one of the reasons I don't like the 351.

One of our work vans has a 351.....it gets half the mpg of the 4.9 one with the same general weight in it and size. The 4.9 is a half ton vs a 1 ton but......shouldn't get half the mpg.

Also, it feels like the sane amount of power

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/20/20 10:14 a.m.

Golly gee whillikers I hate plumbing.  Wife has been asking me to fix the drippy kitchen faucet for months, but I have resisted because it doesn't drip if you get the handle (single handle Delta faucet) in exactly the right place.  But we all know I've been putting it off because I hate plumbing.

This morning she's out of town and I figure I'll surprise her with an item checked off the honeydo list.  Turn off water, remove set screw to remove handle.  Handle no remove.  Handle stuck.  Faucet is just a few years old (okay, maybe five?).  Squirt PBlaster in the hole.  Watch youtube video.  Squirt WD-40 in the hole.  Get impatient.  Lever the dang handle off with a screwdriver.

Flats on the top nut are an Angstrom unit too large to accept the adjustable wrench opened to its maximum.  Go back to garage and get a 1-1/8" combination wrench.  Removal of nut goes smoothly.  Yay!

Replace rubber cups and springs.  Use new parts from a kit that says fits models blah and blah'.  I don't know what model faucet I have.  These things have been around for centuries.  They're all the same, right?

Put it back together.  Turn on water.  Hey, no drips.  Turn on faucet.  Water comes out.  Of the spout.  Also from around the handle.  Hmmm.  Not supposed to do that.  Turn off water.

Find another set of cups and springs laying in a drawer from years ago.  Brand new.  Says "fits all Delta faucets".  Let's try these.  Pull apart, put in new parts, re-use old ball, seal, nylon keyhole thing and top nut.  Turn on water.

Success!  Nice smooth operation.  Shuts off.  No drips.

Piece of cake.

Man, I hate plumbing.

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/20/20 11:02 a.m.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter, sir.

If this was on Craigslist when I was shopping for a vehicle about a year ago, it would be in my driveway:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/d/largo-1995-ford-150-6cylinder-5speed/7199513600.html

Its clean, its straight and its the 4.9L/5 speed. The only thing that could make it better is if it was 4WD.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yZ8IHhgCAiYrSVOyLCtaNz8YOyp3c2Z7l61nTElz2zPnWGUpPbiIKNIn0ExWuH2f