Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/20/20 12:23 p.m.

I would rather smash my dick with a hammer than go to IKEA with SWMBO. 

NEVER AGAIN.

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/20/20 12:26 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I would rather smash my dick with a hammer that go to IKEA with SWMBO. 

NEVER AGAIN.

Bwahahahaaa! I feel your pain.

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
9/20/20 12:32 p.m.
RevRico said:

berkeleying Honda rotor screws

I am downright impressed. I only had to drill one. The last one as it turned out.that's damn near a win

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/20/20 2:02 p.m.
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) said:
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm looking for a basic work truck, something early 90ish with the 300 i6. They are harder to find than you'd think but every time I bring up the fact that I'm looking for the i6 intentionally I always get the get-the-v8 speech or asked why I would ever want a 6 cyl truck.

Is it so weird that I want an engine that'll last forever and has a track record of doing so? I pretty much universally like i6s, there's a lot of good engines there. For Ford in the early 90s or so you have the i6, which is a great truck engine, the 302, which is......ok as a truck engine, the 351, which is also.....ok, and the 460 which gets negative mpg. None are stupid powerful.

I can't be the only one who likes a nice torquey smooth inline 6 am I?

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter, sir.

If this was on Craigslist when I was shopping for a vehicle about a year ago, it would be in my driveway:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/d/largo-1995-ford-150-6cylinder-5speed/7199513600.html

Its clean, its straight and its the 4.9L/5 speed. The only thing that could make it better is if it was 4WD.

Pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, an extra cab would be great but I'm ok without

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/20/20 2:11 p.m.

We had an '81 E150 that we bought new with the 300 and a floor shifter overdrive manual trans.  Loved that van.   Strong, thrifty, great in snow, and ran forever.   

Always wanted a striped down F150 version of it from the fuel injected years.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
9/20/20 5:54 p.m.

Yesterday my mom's car wouldn't start. So I was going to give them a ride to the convenience store. I get into my car and get the tire pump, because I have a leaky tire that goes flat every day. I plugged it into the cigarette lighter and then somehow accidentally yanked on the cord real good because I was sitting on the cord or something. I dunno, I'm an idiot. So now it doesn't work, so I can't fill the tire. I get the jack out and try to change the tire, it's stuck on the hub just like it was months ago which caused me to keep filling this dumb tire with air. Okay, maybe I can throw a known good battery into my mom's car and drive that to the convenience store. I can't get the battery clamps off with an adjustable wrench and can't find any damn wrenches that will work. I give up and sit on the ground for a while before walking back inside.

I just wish anything at all in my life didn't turn into a dark comedy of failures and mistakes.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
9/20/20 7:26 p.m.

I'm looking for a basic work truck, something early 90ish with the 300 i6. They are harder to find than you'd think but every time I bring up the fact that I'm looking for the i6 intentionally I always get the get-the-v8 speech or asked why I would ever want a 6 cyl truck.

Is it so weird that I want an engine that'll last forever and has a track record of doing so? I pretty much universally like i6s, there's a lot of good engines there. For Ford in the early 90s or so you have the i6, which is a great truck engine, the 302, which is......ok as a truck engine, the 351, which is also.....ok, and the 460 which gets negative mpg. None are stupid powerful.

If this was on Craigslist when I was shopping for a vehicle about a year ago, it would be in my driveway:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/d/largo-1995-ford-150-6cylinder-5speed/7199513600.html

Its clean, its straight and its the 4.9L/5 speed. The only thing that could make it better is if it was 4WD.

Pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, an extra cab would be great but I'm ok without

Having owned this body style ford truck with every available engine I miss my 300 powered truck. My current 4x4 460 version certainly does its job well but I just like the 6 so I understand why you want one! 

9/20/20 7:53 p.m.
Cooter said:

We had an '81 E150 that we bought new with the 300 and a floor shifter overdrive manual trans.  Loved that van.   Strong, thrifty, great in snow, and ran forever.   

Always wanted a striped down F150 version of it from the fuel injected years.

Bingo!

Although I admit I saw a 70s F150 with the 300 and I considered it for a bit.

I grew up working on those and I do like the idea of being able to almost fix the entire truck with a rock.....

9/20/20 7:54 p.m.

I think an i6 just isn't sexy enough or it's considered old fashioned maybe

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/20/20 8:14 p.m.
dropstep said:

Having owned this body style ford truck with every available engine I miss my 300 powered truck. My current 4x4 460 version certainly does its job well but I just like the 6 so I understand why you want one! 

I owned this 1995 XLT 4x4 for about a year. It had the 351W/E4OD combo. It was a great truck but gas mileage was pretty terrible. My (now ex) wife made me get rid of it to buy her friend's 2006 F150. That truck had the 5.4L/4R75W and I swear the 1995 was faster.

Those Alcoa aluminum wheels are my favorite OEM wheels as well.

I'd love to find a 92-96 stepside, extended cab, 4wd with the 4.9L/5 speed in two tone white and blue like my old 95. That is pretty much my dream truck. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
9/20/20 8:50 p.m.

I want a Bronco with the 10-hole wheels. 351 or 300, either is fine with me. But it has to be blue with a white top, like my dad's was. Like this:

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/20/20 10:40 p.m.

I berking hate bleeding brakes.

Actually, the bleeding isn't so bad - it's the trying and failing 17 times before you get it right that sucks.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/20/20 11:01 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Actually, the bleeding isn't so bad - it's the trying and failing 17 times before you get it right that sucks.

<whispers>power or gravity bleeding</whispers>

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/21/20 9:03 a.m.
Stefan (Forum Supporter) said:
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

<whispers>power or gravity bleeding</whispers>

Yes, in theory on production cars designed in the last 40 years it is a no-brainer. 

But when you are dealing with "custom" lines that go up above the top of the master cylinder reservoir, old rubber hoses that are internally failed, leaky seals on masters and calipers and in general bad designs and faulty parts - it sucks. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
9/21/20 9:28 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Now is the time to call Delta and get another set of everything for free to have on hand the next time.

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile HalfDork
9/21/20 11:22 a.m.

I've spent more money on medical bills for my animals this year then on myself, wife and 2 kids...

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
9/21/20 1:36 p.m.

Repair order I'm handed "Customer states vehicles has "the Chevy shake". Only happens once in a while but when it does, you can tell."

First of all, as a GM mechanic of almost 9 years, what in berkeley's name is the Chevy shake? "When it does you can tell"? Tell what? Oh, and the customer brought the truck in with the fuel gauge reading literally below empty, so it's not like I can test drive it to experience "the Chevy shake." And it has severely chopped offroad tires that sound like a helicopter and blur your vision and chip your teeth at 10mph, so even if I could test-drive it, I wouldn't be able to tell if there was anything out of the ordinary with the vehicle. 

Get the berkeley out of here, idiot. And people wonder why most mechanics are heavy drinkers. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
9/21/20 1:46 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

What year? There's actually a class-action suit in process- not that it'll help your customer grow any brains...

https://www.autobodynews.com/index.php/industry-news/item/19078-chevy-shake-class-action-says-driveshaft-is-the-problem.html

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
9/21/20 1:52 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

2016. It is included in that, but the description of "aggressive shake" could just as easily be caused by his horrendous tires. If I were to hook up the oscilloscope to try and find any vibrations, I would just have a First Order Tire vibration line graph that would go off the chart. For whatever its worth, I've never heard of that lawsuit and I've never seen any new trucks have their driveshaft replaced for a vibration, so I wonder just how common that is. My original thought was that maybe he had the 8-speed torque converter clutch shudder, but it had a 6-speed, so that wasn't it.

Also, technically not even our customer. The competing ChryCo dealer brought it down, they sold it used and it had a recall on it (reprogram the EBCM for excessive brake pedal effort) and then the customer also added the line about the vibration.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
9/21/20 2:11 p.m.

There should be a cap on political commercials, it's only September, but literally every commercial on Hulu, Youtube, Pluto, and Sling is political.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
9/21/20 2:18 p.m.

Definitely not the only one.  I've had mine since '05.  Its at 360k or 370k, I've put 220k+ on it myself and the only time it ever failed me that wasn't a direct or indirect result of my screw ups was when the fuel pump went out.  Even then I went a little long on the fuel filter changes.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
9/21/20 2:18 p.m.
trigun7469 said:

There should be a cap on political commercials, it's only September, but literally every commercial on Hulu, Youtube, Pluto, and Sling is political.

I hate living in a battleground state during election season.  I should get a VPN, and see what ads I get if I claim to be from somewhere else.

iansane (Forum Supporter)
iansane (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/21/20 2:51 p.m.

I decided to do the manual swap on my s4 on sunday, since the girlfriend didn't need the car all week and she had plans for Saturday. I throw the car up on the lift and immediately pull a muscle or something in my neck. I hardly got the cv axles unbolted. Now I have a difficult time turning right. I feel like batman turning my whole upper body. I pushed through enough to swap the rear diff but wrestling the engine/trans out was killing me. Spend the rest of the day on the couch. And probably going to spend today after work on the couch.

Also, why do people stand on the left side of an aisle when they're waiting for something? I was at Tacoma screw and they have the number dispensing machine at the front of the main aisle and people would pull a number and stand on the left side. Wtf? That's where people are supposed to be walking the other direction!

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile HalfDork
9/21/20 7:51 p.m.

After $600 I didn't have, 5 hours sitting in a parking lot, my cat now needs $5000 surgery, or an amputation(sadly what's gonna happen). And it needs to be done this week, except every animal hospital is booked solid for next 5-8 days. berkeleying sucks trying to happy person. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
9/21/20 8:47 p.m.

In reply to Subscriber-unavailabile :

I am so sorry to hear that.  Pets can be so wonderful for us, and it hurts so much to see them hurting.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2AVt3ZycrJ2cZoKRXIWwdkXXuSq7OiHkPPSUuMRMYclVGDGO9ipTldAV75ewxcPX