Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/30/23 9:57 a.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury :

Holy crap.  Yeah, part of that is a major win.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
11/30/23 10:57 a.m.

Are they local?  Do they have immediate need for clothes/toiletries?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
11/30/23 11:07 a.m.

Thanks all. I know this is a really solid community who is ready to help. Thats what I love most about GRM!

Luckily, we have a big family in town, so between mom/dad/bro/sis/cousins upon cousins etc etc, their immediate needs are covered. They have a 6mo old daughter, and my sister kept all the baby goodies from when my niece was young, so much of the baby gear is covered in the short term. Her folks still have the big family home that had been an empty nest for several years now. Theres 3 extra bedrooms ready and waiting. We are all kicking into a group account to get them clothes and toiletries and the like.

Dunno if red cross or other assistance will be needed in the longer term. We're already aware that homeowners insurance for a total loss may take eons to come thru, so the family is stepping into the gap for however long is needed.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King UltimaDork
11/30/23 11:10 a.m.

We are cleaning out the basement and have come across some baby/young kid stuff.  I would be more than happy to cart the stuff down to you if you want it.  PM me and I can send a list/pictures.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
11/30/23 11:19 a.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

I will probably have a better idea of what they will need later this afternoon. Luckily dad is back home and comfy after some external defibrillating, so thats one less thing to worry about (for now). If it turns out they have additional baby stuff needed, I will definitely take you up on that. Her brother had a daughter last winter too, so between my sis and her bro, theres a lot of baby detritus in circulation.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/30/23 11:47 a.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

Yeah, that's a big fat NO.  Whenever I've interviewed, I've made it clear that I understand deadlines and occasional sprints, but I will not make overtime a way of life so they can keep their business model understaffed.

It's cost me a job or two... at places I didn't want to work.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
11/30/23 11:50 a.m.

Please do keep us updated.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/30/23 12:12 p.m.

CHEEBUS BERKING CRIPES HOW MANY APPLES CAN ONE PERSON EAT IN A DAY

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/30/23 12:28 p.m.

I heard Wu Tang's C.R.E.A.M on the radio this morning and thought to myself, in this day and age of zelle, venmo, cash app, etc that it shouldn't. 

I considered making my own rant thread regarding it, but then I recalled that we already have this one. 

Related note: I grew up a berkeleying screw up 

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
11/30/23 12:29 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

All those things are taxed, on top of already paying tax on getting the money in the first place. Cash isn't, so cash is still king.

CAinCA
CAinCA Dork
11/30/23 12:32 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

"At a minimum, we'd expect you to work 60 hours a week plus one weekend day but most of your work weeks will be ~70 hours with an occasional 80+ week during busy season." 

Look I get it some people work that much because they have to in order to support their family. I'm a salaried professional who wouldn't typically get overtime. So, you're asking me to 100% sacrifice any time I'd be spending with my family to come work for you. I don't think I'm unreasonable for wanting to work a 40-50 (max) work week to live a happy fulfilling life. 

Run away as fast as you possibly can. Sounds like an absolute E36 M3 hole.

CAinCA
CAinCA Dork
11/30/23 12:35 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

Yeah, that's a big fat NO.  Whenever I've interviewed, I've made it clear that I understand deadlines and occasional sprints...

I tell people all of the time that life is a marathon, not a sprint. You need to pace yourself otherwise there's nothing left in the tank for when an actual emergency hits.

wae
wae PowerDork
11/30/23 12:54 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

"At a minimum, we'd expect you to work 60 hours a week plus one weekend day but most of your work weeks will be ~70 hours with an occasional 80+ week during busy season." 

Look I get it some people work that much because they have to in order to support their family. I'm a salaried professional who wouldn't typically get overtime. So, you're asking me to 100% sacrifice any time I'd be spending with my family to come work for you. I don't think I'm unreasonable for wanting to work a 40-50 (max) work week to live a happy fulfilling life. 

That sounds like they've got a job that needs two or three people but they only want to pay one.  I had a guy that worked for me who was always willing to work on his vacations, after hours, etc etc and put in 70-80 hours a week because "well, they said it needs to get done".  I would tell him to just let it go because as long as the work was always getting done, I'd never be able to put in a req for a new headcount.  What I really needed was for account reps to start screaming that their projects were taking too long to start and their customers were getting ticked off.  Then it'd be simple to request a headcount and get another guy.

I just went through this myself, though.  There's a big project that has a very aggressive timeline and I got pulled in.  That's all well and good, but I've already got my end-of-year time off planned out (we're a use-it-or-lose-it organization for PTO) plus Thanksgiving and the day after were already in the mix.  When I told them that I wouldn't be on the call on Monday because I was taking the day off, one of the guys said "Well, yeah, but you can join this call, right?".  "Uhm, no, I've already planned the day off, so I'll catch up on Tuesday".  He wasn't sure how to handle that.  And at some point, one of them said about the day after Thanksgiving, "Oh, Bill said he'd be available if you have questions".  Which, I can assure you, Bill did not say and Bill was not available.

That said, once I was in the office, I grabbed the task by horns and freaking killed it.  I spent all day every day for a week or so working on this because I was told it was my one and only priority.  Which means that I've got a giant backlog of stuff, but you know what:  it'll either wait until I'm finished with this or it'll resolve on its own, or someone else will take care of it.  Sure, on a bunch of those days I put in way more than 8 hours to get it done, but there have been plenty of days where I didn't have anything going on so I screwed around in the garage or had a little afternoon nap.  But I'm not going to let work cause me stress that takes years off my life.  I work so I can live, not the other way around.

CAinCA
CAinCA Dork
11/30/23 12:56 p.m.

I'm on day 8 of this stomach flu thing. The first day was by far the worst, but my stomach hasn't been right since. I have indigestion after every meal. I've been on a steady diet of saltines, toast, bananas and chicken soup for a week and I'm tired of it. My next step is eating yogurt and going on a probiotic to see if I can restart my gut biome.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
11/30/23 1:09 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Yeah the pandemic has all but eliminated a day off.  Either PTO or sick.  When I'm off, I'm off.  I'm not doing one simple task or logging on for a brief call, answering emails all day, or reviewing something really quick.  It can and does wait.  People are very disappointed by this. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
11/30/23 4:07 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

Ouch, that really sucks. I'm sorry you're going through that- and hope we don't have to deal with anything of the likes. My family's side shouldn't be a problem- my parents this last year went through the process of setting up a trust to try an ensure that things went smoothly (hopefully a ways down the line) when they're gone. My only real concern with it is whether or not they did what I asked them and explicitly did not include their timeshare in the trust (assuming my brother- who has lived with them for all but like 2 of the 33 years he's been alive- doesn't plan to take over paying for & using it). I'm expecting I'll hear more about it over Christmas.

The other side of the family though... Storsh help us...

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
11/30/23 7:48 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

In reply to Peabody :

The other side of the family though... Storsh help us...

I've already been accused of planning to steal an inheritance.  I'm hoping not to have to deal with it for a long time, either.

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
11/30/23 10:11 p.m.

It's the same damn fight every Thursday night. Thursday night is family cleanup night, where we all have chores to do. Stuff like vacuum, clean bathrooms, etc. The whole family participates. And every week it is the same fight to get the kids to do their part. By my calculations we've done Thursday night cleanup over 150 times. There is no surprise, it is on the calender. Chores are on a bulletin board. EVERYONE knows their jobs. Kids are 14, 11 and 8 and chores are age appropriate.

And yet....every damn week it is somehow a complete shocking surprise that everyone has to do chores. These same kids who call me out for saying we would do something or go somewhere six months ago, suddenly have amnesia when it comes to who has to wipe down the kitchen counters like they did exactly seven days earlier.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
12/1/23 6:14 a.m.
4cylndrfury said:

In the last 12 hours i learned that my father is back in the hospital with a-fib, and the house that my cousin, her husband, and 4 kiddos under 8 live in just burned to the ground from a nat-gas explosion. SIlver lining is everyone is going to be OK, even the cousins pup, so at least theres that.

I feel for your cousin and her family; last Saturday a house on the road behind us went up in smoke leaving a family of six without a home. Let us know if we can help.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
12/1/23 7:30 a.m.

Well, it looks like we have all been about as generous as my cousin can handle for the time being . In the last 30-ish hours theyve received donations from dozens of people - family, friends, community etc, but its overwhelming them. Literally they got out with the clothes on their backs. One of their vehicles survived as it was parked in the drive, the other in the garage. They are currently looking for an apartment that they can go month to month, with 4 kids and a dog (so, good luck). They have asked that folks hold off on donations until they have somewhere to put everything - theyve filled their parents garage and their brothers spare room with everything from playpens to rocking chairs to deodorant and underpants. Theyre grateful but exhausted and at wits end.

And this will likely take some time to resolve. The fire captains assessment is that the fire was due to the gas meter leaking. Apparently, the utility co. is responsible for maintaining these, and hadnt in some time, and the county had been on them to get it done. Combine that with a volunteer fire dept (because boonies) who wasnt trained in turning the gas off, and the fire would go out then reignite. Seems as though my cousin was burning some brush in a fire pit in the backyard, and some embers came into contact with the leaking gas and bobs your uncle. 

Theyve retained council - looks like this one could get nasty. I mentioned to them that theres a community that has offered some help. They were touched, but asked to let things settle just a bit first. Thank you GRM!

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
12/1/23 7:39 a.m.
Puddy46 said:

Friend of mine revealed to me tonight he has a gambling problem, and is in over his head.  Like way in over his head.  Tomorrow we're going to find a professional that he can talk to, because I am not equipped to do anything more than be a buddy.  I don't know where to begin.  I don't even know what direction to point him in to get qualified help.  

As a follow up to this, thank you Duke for the suggestions.  We were able to find some contacts through the state's HHS agency, and among the resources he got, he found a meeting he could go to last night to at allow him to talk to someone.  

chandler
chandler MegaDork
12/1/23 8:17 a.m.
4cylndrfury said:

Well, it looks like we have all been about as generous as my cousin can handle for the time being . In the last 30-ish hours theyve received donations from dozens of people - family, friends, community etc, but its overwhelming them. Literally they got out with the clothes on their backs. One of their vehicles survived as it was parked in the drive, the other in the garage. They are currently looking for an apartment that they can go month to month, with 4 kids and a dog (so, good luck). They have asked that folks hold off on donations until they have somewhere to put everything - theyve filled their parents garage and their brothers spare room with everything from playpens to rocking chairs to deodorant and underpants. Theyre grateful but exhausted and at wits end.

And this will likely take some time to resolve. The fire captains assessment is that the fire was due to the gas meter leaking. Apparently, the utility co. is responsible for maintaining these, and hadnt in some time, and the county had been on them to get it done. Combine that with a volunteer fire dept (because boonies) who wasnt trained in turning the gas off, and the fire would go out then reignite. Seems as though my cousin was burning some brush in a fire pit in the backyard, and some embers came into contact with the leaking gas and bobs your uncle. 

Theyve retained council - looks like this one could get nasty. I mentioned to them that theres a community that has offered some help. They were touched, but asked to let things settle just a bit first. Thank you GRM!

Ummm, your cousin lives behind me? Same situation but I'm a few hours from you in Hancock county

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
12/1/23 8:45 a.m.

In reply to chandler :

Theyre in southeast Indiana

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
12/1/23 8:45 a.m.

"I'm really good at communicating" said someone I was talking to on a call after going on and on about useless nonsense.  "I'm going to send you this document the minute we hang up." 

Then why haven't you sent it 4 days later? And why are you ignoring my follow up emails? People are absolutely full of E36 M3 these days. I'm over it. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/1/23 8:47 a.m.
4cylndrfury said:

My prayers are with them. I can't imagine what they are going through. 

Makes my troubles and frustration dissapear. My heart hurts for them here at Christmas. Keep us posted on what i can do to help. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cmtZGwD7OP3QJ2hdlBKI8xhocMQLDExHSq75cNLzIPBJGoa6eX90YTL0HyYbRxjH