4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
12/1/23 8:48 a.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

People are absolutely full of E36 M3 these days. I'm over it. 

was told once when conducting an interview for a job that requires moderate to nearly advanced Excel skills "My excel is awesome. Im good at macros...aaaand MICROS!!!"

For those who are unaware, Excel Micros are only slightly more rare than unicorn farts (i.e. they dont exist). People are indeed full of E36M3.

jharry3
jharry3 Dork
12/1/23 8:58 a.m.
CAinCA said:
Duke said:

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

Yeah, that's a big fat NO.  Whenever I've interviewed, I've made it clear that I understand deadlines and occasional sprints...

I tell people all of the time that life is a marathon, not a sprint. You need to pace yourself otherwise there's nothing left in the tank for when an actual emergency hits.

The way I piss off unorganized project managers is I tell them "a lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part".

The last time I did this I was kicked off the project, one I didn't want to be on anyway with the Captain Bligh PM, and then maneuvered myself into a different project with a really good project manager, w wanted me on his project, and had good people to work with (All while my Department Manager was telling me I could not go on that project, because it wasn't in his business unit, and I had to be laid off. )

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/1/23 2:13 p.m.

I know it's the nature of what I do for a living now in sales and delivery and Industrial repair, but last minute Friday driving 3 hours to the warehouse and back through rush hour traffic of three major cities after having to cancel dinner plans with my best friend sucks. Especially when I've got way too much going on already and them suffering from vapor lock in the brain. At least on the bright side I'm getting a little extra bonus for the after hours and Rush delivery charges. Makes it suck a little less

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
12/1/23 5:44 p.m.

This berkeleying drain pan was impossible to pour out of... if I managed to keep it in the 'spout' it ran back on itself, dribbling all over the place and the only other option was an 8" wide deluge.

Once I finished cleaning up the Exxon Valdez, the drain pan went in the trash.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
12/1/23 6:15 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

In the hose world the salesmen sets pricing so sometimes I'd tack on more onto the price to help with the extra work. 

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/2/23 11:00 a.m.

They are finally getting ready to can my lead. He even knows he is a dead man walking, but they are taking their sweet time in dotting all the I's and crossing the T's that he literally running amuck, causing all sorts of mischief in his need to be maliciously complying with their wishes. Right now he is costing me and all my co-workers money. They clamped down hard on his excessive OT. He was racking up hundreds of hours a year just to do the schedule. Now, because he is not allowed to have any OT, he is denying those under him any. Work is not getting finished and it is costing us a few extra bucks that would come in very handy for christmas. Our director even said that  overtime "within reason" was perfectly allowed. 

I can't want till they can his ass. I have put up with his narcissistic and bullying ways for 20 years. A few more weeks or months is killing me.

wae
wae PowerDork
12/2/23 2:52 p.m.

Need a battery for the challenge car.  Stopped by the local u-pull yard to grab a used battery.  Used batteries are kept on a rack in the office/check-in/check-out building.  Not only do they want a $10 core charge, plus an "environmental fee", they also insisted that I spend an additional $3 for the entry fee.  Screw them.  I'd rather buy a brand-new battery than give them $3 for the privilege of walking in to their building.

A secondary rant is the concept of a core charge on a junkyard part.  That's some bullE36 M3 there.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/3/23 9:35 a.m.

December 3rd :-(

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
12/3/23 10:16 a.m.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/3/23 11:25 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

Cashier getting that Christmas spirit

APEowner
APEowner UltraDork
12/3/23 12:03 p.m.

It's been 3 weeks since I got sick and I still can's work a full day.  COVID fatigue sucks.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
12/3/23 12:12 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

I hope that's not in Cleveland....

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/3/23 12:30 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

If you'd didn't say it, I would have. laugh

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
12/3/23 1:48 p.m.

Oh man, I just got that joke. 

The cashier said it was something with the credit card machines. Said it wasn't just at his place, but all (all?) the Citgos. 

The tank was nearly dry, I didn't feel like driving to another station, and I had cash on me (because yes, sometimes you need it...like now) so I stayed. 

wae
wae PowerDork
12/4/23 9:21 a.m.

Okay, it's time for Bill's daily pointless hill to die on...  Let's talk about the use of the work "hack" as it pertains to its overuse in the news media.  To employ a hack is to leverage some feature or function of a system such that one can make use of its unintended result.  For example, a hack is when early programmers would purposefully distribute their code and/or data at specific physical locations on the early drum-type hard drives in such a way that once their previous instruction completed execution, the drive was already in position to read the next instruction in order to reduce the rotational latency that was inherent in those systems.  That was a hack, and a pretty cool one to boot.  They knew that they could leverage the way the filesystem worked to intentionally distribute blocks anywhere they wanted on the physical drum, even though it was really designed to do that automatically.  By defeating that automatic assignment, they were able to significantly increase the speed at which they could process data, laying the groundwork for DBAs to continue to whine about "spindles" even today in the world of SSD, NVMe, and other non-rotational storage technologies.

Today's bullE36 M3 headline is "Save on streaming TV with these simple hacks".  The simple "hacks" that they offer:

- Change your subscription to ad-supported tiers
- Use services that have no subscription fee but are supported by ads
- Unsubscribe from services that you don't watch

These are not hacks.  These are just doing things that are in line with what your average person does.  Perhaps I should submit an article headlined "Solve Mealtime Hunger With This Simple Hack".  The article itself will consist of two words:  "Eat something".

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/4/23 10:23 a.m.

Worked yesterday morning. Got home and the house was a mess with decorating - my wife and daughter do not understand that we don't need the house to look like a hallmark store, we've got the tree and a few other decorations. Put the rest away. Had to walk the dog because wife wasn't feeling well. Had to get dinner for kiddo. Then had to go to the night gig. Got home from that last night, late because my wife was sick and needed me to run to the store. Kiddo wasn't in bed. Then kddo had diarrhea. Wife kept asking questions from the bed of what was going on, I couldn't hear her, and honestly none of it mattered - I was cleaning up toddler diarrhea, either get up to help or shut up. And then I had to attend to the dog who was going insane, the kid, turn off all the lights in the basement (I don't know if my wife realizes that lights can turn off too), move the cars... My wife asks what I was doing, like I was goofing off. Just let me do my chores without the interrogation. I get that you're tired and don't feel well. I get that the kid isn't in bed, but she wasn't going to stay in bed until I could sit in the room with her. And that dog that you were so insistent on us getting is a nutcase and I needed to attend to him. You left the lights on all over the house. You left food out. You didn't clean up anything. 

Then the kid wouldn't stay in her bed. Moved her 3 times. Still woke up with her in my bed this morning. And I had an extremely frustrating dream, I was searching for my car in a parking lot for what felt like hours. Kept hitting the alarm button, it never worked, but the unlock and lock buttons kept unlocking other cars. Just an amazingly frustrating dream. All lended itself to my waking up this morning not at all rested, in a terrible mood, and with a E36 M3ty day of work ahead of me. 

Garfield "I hate Mondays" Magnet - ShopNickU

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/4/23 10:29 a.m.
Appleseed said:

If you'd didn't say it, I would have. laugh

I ain't gettin it.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/4/23 10:34 a.m.
wae said:

Okay, it's time for Bill's daily pointless hill to die on...  Let's talk about the use of the work "hack" as it pertains to its overuse in the news media.  To employ a hack is to leverage some feature or function of a system such that one can make use of its unintended result.  For example, a hack is when early programmers would purposefully distribute their code and/or data at specific physical locations on the early drum-type hard drives in such a way that once their previous instruction completed execution, the drive was already in position to read the next instruction in order to reduce the rotational latency that was inherent in those systems.  That was a hack, and a pretty cool one to boot.  They knew that they could leverage the way the filesystem worked to intentionally distribute blocks anywhere they wanted on the physical drum, even though it was really designed to do that automatically.  By defeating that automatic assignment, they were able to significantly increase the speed at which they could process data, laying the groundwork for DBAs to continue to whine about "spindles" even today in the world of SSD, NVMe, and other non-rotational storage technologies.

Today's bullE36 M3 headline is "Save on streaming TV with these simple hacks".  The simple "hacks" that they offer:

- Change your subscription to ad-supported tiers
- Use services that have no subscription fee but are supported by ads
- Unsubscribe from services that you don't watch

These are not hacks.  These are just doing things that are in line with what your average person does.  Perhaps I should submit an article headlined "Solve Mealtime Hunger With This Simple Hack".  The article itself will consist of two words:  "Eat something".

Totally with you on this and I ranted about it a couple months ago.

Burger King has commercials where the song goes something like "BK something something eat it with the meal or have it as a snack. Only $1.99 - It's a hunger hack!"

Using things for their intended purpose is not a berking hack.  As far as I'm aware the purpose of food is to make you not hungry.

NY Nick
NY Nick SuperDork
12/4/23 10:34 a.m.

I fell down running backwards while coaching youth basketball Saturday. My wrist hurt immediately but not so bad I couldn't continue. Took some advil after and iced it over the weekend. Assumed it was sprained (it may be). It kept growing over the weekend and looked like a sausage by last night, sent my GP a message asking if they could see me or better yet just send me for an X-ray. They call me this morning and say no. You have to go to urgent care or ER. Why the jell do I have a GP, so you can give me a "physical" once a year? 
So now I am sitting in my truck outside of urgent care for the 1.5 hour wait to get seen amongst the herd of people here for what appears to be Covid or respiratory illness. Uh no thanks on the waiting room...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/4/23 10:36 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

The outrage of week thread from last week will fill you in.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
12/4/23 11:22 a.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

Yes. If your doctor's group has an urgent care that is where they want you to go 99% of the time. That way you are seen by a PA instead of a regular doctor. It saves them money because they can have many PAs monitored by one doctor. Maximum billing, minimum doctoring. Your GP is only for ringing the annual physical cash register and making sure they sell you plenty of drugs.

NY Nick
NY Nick SuperDork
12/4/23 11:47 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

True but my GP is a LPN so I never see an actual doctor, the MVHS system also has no urgent care so they are actually turning away work. I guess it is how the system works, I'm just frustrated that I am having to access the system. I also think the system blows (in this region) in general so I am coming into it with expectations of a poor experience. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
12/4/23 2:30 p.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

That's unfortunate. We have a local urgent care/primary care that is very good, Holy City Med. I pay for a membership for all of my employees that gives them free visits. The longest wait time so far has been less than 20 minutes. One of the guys just had 17 stitches put in his hand for under $200. At an ER they would have cost about $200 per stitch.

I wish I could still get catastrophic-only medical insurance. I'd do it in a minute and sign myself up for Holy City as well. Instead, I get to piss away money on a system that is so purposely  broken it shouldn't exist. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
12/4/23 3:15 p.m.

In reply to wae :

I'd like to add the words hustle and dropped to that rant as well.

Thank you.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/4/23 3:21 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

And wheelhouse. Sorry, dude, you're not a tugboat captain.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mihatXKjLhAmSI2xlL8Vld44fFwPlBUVkW4SrxTYjx3HoUsvU2P2EAaaljSsTdaj