In reply to classicJackets (FS) :

Didn't GM remove Car play/Android Auto and force you to use their system? I thought I read something along those lines.

GM doing GM things I guess.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/28/24 2:49 p.m.

Look, electric bicycle guys, keep berkeleying around,  riding like shiny happy people, and they'll start making laws. Just watch.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/28/24 9:04 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Look, electric bicycle guys, keep berkeleying around,  riding like shiny happy people, and they'll start making laws. Just watch.

Based on how they ride around here, most will be drooling on themselves in a home soon.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/28/24 9:51 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I think the same about Harley riders around here, and yet, year after year, there they are.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
9/28/24 10:04 p.m.

Apparently because I'm nice to a new coworker and help her, now she has a crush on me? And everyone is asking me about it at work? Guys can ya'll just not treat this like high school?

In reply to Appleseed :

We already got em lol

Man, working on my 2010 Tahoe has really soured my outlook on ever owning a GM product ever again.

Tonight, I replaced the headlight assemblies. I had restored them once before but that only buys some time. So I bought real OEM GM assemblies.

It was like trying to fit a 3d parallelogram into a square hole. It's only 3 10mm bolts but one is behind the bumper cover, necessitating a partial fender liner removal. The adjusters are plastic external Torx head screws for some stupid reason.

The interior is falling apart. The dash plastics make a 3rd Gen Ram look like a Rolls Royce in comparison. The drivers side door pull has disintegrated. I can't find a used replacement because they ALL break right there.

I had a 2010 Kia Forte with way more miles and the interior had nary a rattle. This thing sounds like someone dumped a coffee can of random bolts behind every interior panel.

Don't forget the random mix of SAE and metric hardware. Just because two fasteners are adjacent and seem the same doesn't mean they actually ARE the same.

Now I'm fighting a power steering leak that would shame the Exon Valdez. The fluid doesn't even have time to get dirty before it hits the ground. Looking at the routing of the lines, I'll probably farm that repair out so I don't have to deal with it.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
9/29/24 7:47 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I've spoken to some of the Harley guys. Pretty sure they're already drooling on themselves 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
9/29/24 10:27 a.m.

Saw a Honda SUV / Crossover thing hauling about 6000lbs of tractor in about a 2000lb trailer on the highway yesterday.

Dude was driving uphill wherever he went.

F--- you buddy, it's not just yourself that you're putting in danger.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/29/24 11:18 a.m.

I am sick of using a crappy tablet. I like small tablets. Ten years ago, just about everyone was making a respectable small tablet. I had a 7" Windows tablet at home, and an iPad mini at work. I've had a couple different tablets between 7" and 9" in size. Right now, I'm typing this on an 8.7" Samsung Galaxy A7 lite. It's one generation behind the finest android small tablet in the usa.

It sucks. Always has.

It doesn't have enough memory or processor or storage. It's a small step above instant e-waste. I'm constantly dealing with it slowing down when running two or three apps at once. Or, I'm having to manage storage, because so many apps want to be on the nearly-full 32gb of internal storage while I have ~100gb free on the SD card.

I could upgrade to the A9, which appears to be a beter low end tablet, but then I'm still buying just a little too little tablet every couple of years. Besides, while Samsung makes the A9 in a few variants, only the bare minimum spec is officially for sale in the USA. I'm looking at paying extra and waiting for weeks if I insist in importing a 8/128/LTE version.

Even then, Samsung artificially holds it back. The same SoC in the larger A9+ gets DeX desktop mode. Hell, I can get an A9+ cheaper than a matching spec of the small tablet because it's actually sold here.

I want a device that can fit in a cargo pants pocket or shoulder sling bag, run several apps side by side, not drain my phone, and not make me carry a laptop bag and a bunch of cords. Take my $500-$800 and sell me S-series phone guts with an 8.7" screen and a mediocre camera, you cowards.

Aside from the iPad mini, there's literally nothing. Everyone else treats small tablets as cheap discount bin fodder. I didn't want to jump into yet another ecosystem, but here we are. The iPad mini is also three years old without a refresh, so I'd probably want to wait for that.

TLDR, I have flagship tablet expectations, but I want a tablet of a size that is produced only as a loss-leader toy.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
9/29/24 12:00 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

I can't believe GM is still mixing SAE and metric fasteners on vehicles. It's like part of that Tahoe was designed in 1974....

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/29/24 12:06 p.m.

I'm curious as to what SAE fasteners are on a 2010 GM aside from the seat belt bolts.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/29/24 3:39 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Probably using the metric to SAE rust conversion.

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/29/24 3:47 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

Might be something like this: 5/16 and 8 mm, 7/16 and 11 mm, 5/8 and 16 mm, 3/4 and 19 mm, 7/8 and 22 mm, and 15/16 and 24 mm. etc. etc.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
9/29/24 3:48 p.m.

Got my nipples pierced last night, because I'm a bad decision maker and am easily swayed by topless women while under the influence of alcohol. One already fell out because nobody ever put a ball on the ring. The other one is a corkscrew shaped ring and it's annoying as hell and catching on everything, because Kayla using a normal ring would have just been too easy I guess.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/29/24 4:15 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Like retapping stripped 6x1.0 holes to 1/4NF?

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
9/29/24 5:05 p.m.
RevRico said:

Got my nipples pierced last night, because I'm a bad decision maker and am easily swayed by topless women while under the influence of alcohol. 

Sounds like a top  "Say What?" entry.

Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Appleseed said:

Like retapping stripped 6x1.0 holes to 1/4NF?

This also applies to RevRico's post above yours.

I finally got around to getting the gas pressure washer that has been sitting for 2 years to run. I had to clean out the tank, replace the in tank filter/fuel nipple, clear the jet and flush the carb. It runs great now.

I used it to pressure wash the concrete porch. Specifically where we have a rough lemon tree in a big planter. The concrete is stained from the runoff coming out of the bottom of the planter. I couldn't get the stain to disappear but it's better than it was. But that's not the rant.

While I was washing the porch, I noticed the front of the house was filthy. The windows overlooking the porch were covered in dirty spider webs. So I decided to give the front of the house a quick spray.

The new windows that the two idiot contractors installed leaked ALL OVER the kitchen floor. It was like they weren't even closed. They seriously installed the cheapest single pane vinyl windows they could find. And then installed them poorly. I've never seen such poorly installed windows before. The sashes are either so tight you can barely move the window or so loose that it almost falls out.

Their company doesn't have a website but I did find where they had a listing and boasted "20 years of experience". 20 years experience doing what? Sniffing each other's shiny happy people?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/29/24 8:05 p.m.

More like the crust covered 10mm transforming into a 13/32nd bolt.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/29/24 8:07 p.m.
Datsun240ZGuy said:
RevRico said:

Got my nipples pierced last night, because I'm a bad decision maker and am easily swayed by topless women while under the influence of alcohol. 

Sounds like a top  "Say What?" entry.

First rule of Say What is you do not talk about Say What.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/30/24 6:19 a.m.

Some berkeleying scumbag stole the GPS out of my car last night at the hotel. Jokes on you, shiny happy person, that was a 12 year old Garmin that I paid $100 for when it was new, you're not getting E36 M3 for that thing. I am considerably more peeved about the theft of my flannel shirt that I won from my SCCA region for finishing in the top ten two years ago and my N7 leather jacket. I thought I locked the car, but I guess not. On the flip side, maybe it's better I didn't, since then they might have just cut the convertible top

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/30/24 9:54 a.m.

Dammit Facebook, I did not say "maybe later," or, "in a month, my taste for drivel will improve."

I 👏 said 👏 no.👏

Got it. Less suggested posts in your Feed will be like this for a while.

And if they're the "less suggested posts," maybe stop showing them to me at all.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/30/24 10:01 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Sorry to hear that, man.  I never even used to lock the Le Mans and half the time I would just park it with the glove box open so they could see it was empty.

In reply to Mike (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, and "Hide Post" usually goes into effect as "Hide Post Until Next Refresh".

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
9/30/24 10:06 a.m.
Mike (Forum Supporter) said:

Dammit Facebook, I did not say "maybe later," or, "in a month, my taste for drivel will improve."

I 👏 said 👏 no.👏

Got it. Less suggested posts in your Feed will be like this for a while.

And if they're the "less suggested posts," maybe stop showing them to me at all.

Dude. I feel this in my bones. I have blocked so much crap it isn't even funny. The same E36 M3 shows up a few minutes later from a different source. I assume it's AI generated. 

It makes BookFace pretty unusable for keeping up with friends and family. 

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
9/30/24 10:24 a.m.

This is 20 miles from me:

Notice the mix of colors because it is a chemical storage facility. You'd think 20 miles would be pretty darn far away, but the smell outside my house is awful. The county where it is happening has evacuated residents and shut down roadways. My county nextdoor hasn't said jack. I've got three big air purifiers with VOC filters running full tilt in the house right now hoping it dissipates outside. If not we are heading across town to crash at my Mom's tonight.

(edit)
My county finally put out a statement saying....everything is fine. Well if everything was fine there wouldn't be a chemical stench in the air and my lungs wouldn't tighten up when I walked outside. Post a picture of the county offices with their windows wide open and I'll trust you a bit more.

Starting to get a vibe from this situation:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x2aVgaYbeB5uwiGAGff5Wd8oxdrTgliV9Si7nP36FsrsiNVtESLLVwj7SXbpglh4