1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/24/24 1:56 p.m.

https://www.manufacturingdive.com/news/tupperware-files-chapter-11-bankruptcy/727361

Can't say I've ever been to a Tupperware party.  I suspect they're pretty wild!  Women everywhere!  Ah well.  Another opportunity squandered.  sad

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-OQSD2CLc1LA%2FTy0WnfWD0lI%2FAAAAAAAAASs%2FxF606yPZLCQ%2Fs1600%2FTupperware%2BParty.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=e76b8fb9521008cf955ac36c90c770772ea0764f6cae8d5b597f22ebd25e49a1&ipo=images

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
9/24/24 2:14 p.m.

This isn't their first application for bankruptcy. It is wild to hear that in a world of moldable plastics, one of the OGs is having a hard time making it. Sounds like their failure to pivot to modern marketing and advertising gimmicks (which honestly, I can't recall the last time I saw an advertisement for anything in that product category) could be to fault on top of some other poor leadership decisions. I've been trying to collect their retro stuff and it's never on the shelves at the local Target, they were a staple in rural central Florida with their HQ there. I remember going on a field trip there as a kid LOL.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/24/24 2:24 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

As I recall, their stuff was always on the high side, price-wise.  Undoubtedly it was good quality, but as is the case in so many businesses, the overseas manufacture and sale of much cheaper knock-offs has hurt their business.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
9/24/24 2:26 p.m.

My guess is that it's these lazy kids nowadays that don't want to work.   Back in my day, we at least had editors and spoke proper English!   Bah!

Oh, wait, when is that ad from? :)

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
9/24/24 2:29 p.m.

Everything is single or limited use disposable containers now. I refuse to buy them. 

The last set of storage containers I bought were glass with gasketed lids. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/24/24 2:53 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

This isn't their first application for bankruptcy. It is wild to hear that in a world of moldable plastics, one of the OGs is having a hard time making it. Sounds like their failure to pivot to modern marketing and advertising gimmicks (which honestly, I can't recall the last time I saw an advertisement for anything in that product category) could be to fault on top of some other poor leadership decisions. I've been trying to collect their retro stuff and it's never on the shelves at the local Target, they were a staple in rural central Florida with their HQ there. I remember going on a field trip there as a kid LOL.  

I think this is the reason. They didn't adapt. We have Snapware, it works better and is cheaper.

Adapt or die.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/24/24 3:46 p.m.

I see more people using the Pyrex glass ones with a plastic lid,  hard to sanitize plastic.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
9/24/24 3:48 p.m.

We have a lot of 35+ year Tupperware crap that still performs as expected.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
9/24/24 3:51 p.m.
Toyman! said:

Everything is single or limited use disposable containers now. I refuse to buy them. 

The last set of storage containers I bought were glass with gasketed lids. 

Same here!

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/24/24 3:58 p.m.

Put your keys in the bowl. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
9/24/24 4:12 p.m.

Below is a vintage Tupperware container from the late 70s/early 80s.  It still works perfectly.

Who knew that making a product that lasts 40 years and still works would make sure you didn't meet your sales goals.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zZ9XhVoKMOcwy3fojHsB0xkuoLIAet6IgUupqZyWH545ZBS6Kz0naUcrk5UscJUE