1 2
fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
8/17/15 7:35 a.m.

Officials say a Chevrolet Camaro used in promotions for pizza chain Papa John's was among three vehicles stolen during a Detroit-area event showcasing classic cars.

Rest of the story: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/officials-papa-johns-camaro-stolen-detroit-area-show-33124812

Any car theft at the Woodward Dream Cruise event would probably make news in the car community but being the Papa John this story went national overnight.

G. P. Snorklewacker
G. P. Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/17/15 7:38 a.m.

That car is hot in more than one way.

slowride
slowride HalfDork
8/17/15 7:41 a.m.

Hasn't this happened more than once? I think I remember something like this happening before and Papa John's offering free pizza for life for tips that led to recovery.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
8/17/15 7:47 a.m.

That's pretty berkeleying bold... or just plain stupid. You can't hide a car w/ that notoriety here. Maybe it was 'special order' and is in a shipping container bound for Bahrain already.

And w/ his kinda dough, no Lojack?

Enyar
Enyar Dork
8/17/15 7:48 a.m.
slowride wrote: Hasn't this happened more than once? I think I remember something like this happening before and Papa John's offering free pizza for life for tips that led to recovery.

From what I remember he sold it to start his pizza company and once he made it big offered $$$ and pizza for any tips on where it was.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/17/15 7:54 a.m.

Ouch, that's personal. This wasn't some rich guy's oversized coffee table ornament, that was his car that he put blood sweat & tears into.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
8/17/15 8:41 a.m.

Except for the fact that it's a Z-28, who would steel a car with such ugly wheels. I remember whatever TV show the whole hunt it down and buy it was on. I couldn't believe the wheels then.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/17/15 8:57 a.m.

Split bumper Z28...basically my dream car. I would imagine those wheels are still on it because theyre the ones he had on it when he had it the first time. I cant hold it against him, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Classic example of gear head on gear head hate btw...Im just sayin

redhookfern
redhookfern Reader
8/17/15 9:40 a.m.

No bueno. I delivered pizza for Papa John's for a summer during college. I bet he would never be forced to put the giant magnetic light-up sign on that ride

Also, I still can't eat that pizza to this day thanks to my Papa John's overdose of 2002.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
8/17/15 9:47 a.m.

In reply to spitfirebill:

Center Lines were the E36 M3 back in the early 80s.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
8/17/15 10:09 a.m.

Just saw it was found. Again.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/17/15 10:16 a.m.

Yep:

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/dream-cruise/2015/08/17/papa-johns-missing-camaro-found-detroit-driveway/31842409/

slowride
slowride HalfDork
8/17/15 10:58 a.m.

In reply to Enyar: Oh yeah, that's what it was.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar UltraDork
8/17/15 11:10 a.m.
Wally wrote: In reply to spitfirebill: Center Lines were the E36 M3 back in the early 80s.

Yep, and on the right car I still like the look of them.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/17/15 11:21 a.m.

Yessir, I sold the cowboy E36 M3 out of Centerlines and the Fenton/ET Wheels versions, which were a 1 piece cast wheel that looked a lot like the CL's. Cragar actually started the whole thing with their spun aluminum 'Super Tricks' but those had a disconcerting habit of separating. CL wheels looked just like the Cragars, were within a few percent of the weight and since they were 'drawn' (stamped, basically) they didn't break apart like the spun wheels.

I'm glad they found his car. I know how it feels, having to sell something for emergency reasons and also how it feels to have something you really value stolen. I remember when he found this car originally and how happy he was that it hadn't been molested, chopped up or wrecked beyond repair.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
8/17/15 11:41 a.m.

Insert apocalyptic Detroit joke here...

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
8/17/15 12:01 p.m.

So I'm the only "hater" here he thinks the rear stance doesn't look cheesy? Centerline love or not, the standard Z-28 wheels for these particular cars are one of the best OEM wheels out there. IMHO.

BTW I'm thrilled he got it back in one piece.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
8/17/15 12:06 p.m.

Yea, those factory Z-28 wheels were the tits.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
8/17/15 12:12 p.m.

The stock wheels were nice but they were stamped steel and only about 7 inches wide. It you were taking the car to the track or pretending you were you needed some wide wheels, G60 Tires and if you were really serious a set of traction bars. That seemed to be standard equipment for Camaros when I was a kid.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar UltraDork
8/17/15 12:17 p.m.

I like the Z28 wheels too. Even looked for a set for my Malibu back in the '80's.

Problem was a good used set without trim rings and center caps was going for close to what a couple nice aftermarket wheels sold for then. I wound up with some American Racing wheels on the 'bu.

The deep dish rear wheel was the style back then. The deep wheels gave the look of a tubbed car without cutting it. Tubbing a car back then was a big deal. So was narrowing a rear axle.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
8/17/15 12:25 p.m.

I have the car and am holding it hostage until Papa John makes a good pizza.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
8/17/15 12:30 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: So I'm the only "hater" here he thinks the rear stance doesn't look cheesy? Centerline love or not, the standard Z-28 wheels for these particular cars are one of the best OEM wheels out there. IMHO.

The stance is era correct, and judging by the photos of the car above he wanted to keep it looking the same as it did when he was a kid. His car, his tastes.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
8/17/15 12:34 p.m.

I look forward to the day when future people look back on Civic, VWs and Subarus and the kids driving them with disgust and ask what the hell were they thinking and I can add that if you think they looked bad you should have heard the God awful noise they made.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/17/15 12:34 p.m.

Yep, the stance is era correct. He, like many of us, has done his car to meet what he wanted back in da day. Same way my J-H has a set of Minilites; Panasports are great wheels and look a lot like them but I just wanted Minilites back in da day so when I finally got the car, guess what?

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
8/17/15 1:58 p.m.

Found on the westside of Detroit.

Car was likely too hot to unload/part anywhere once word got out what/who's it was.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H8jkoVmty7JYtRVVV3A7UhvoC7GlAuFanRDaiEHoDg9NzhAmBlRG28adjw1zx4tc