1 2
procainestart
procainestart SuperDork
7/18/24 1:48 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

I've grown pretty attached to my Pentax as well.

I've recently grown curious about monochrome digital cameras, so the K-3 Monochrome definitely interests me–at least in the sense that it seems to be one of just a handful of monochrome cameras available alongside the Monochrom models from Leica.

I mean, they all are out of my price range, but I just think they are neat.

I've no idea what might make the Leica special, but my Nikon D750s have a monochrome mode, if I want to see the result on the back of the camera. I can customize the monochrome settings in-camera, including color filtering. I assume most or all DSLRs have this capability? Or, in Lightroom (presumably ACR in PS, too), there are lots of B&W presets. Guess I'm seeing the appeal of a monochrome digital camera -- sometimes, color is good.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
7/18/24 2:35 p.m.
procainestart said:
Colin Wood said:

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

I've grown pretty attached to my Pentax as well.

I've recently grown curious about monochrome digital cameras, so the K-3 Monochrome definitely interests me–at least in the sense that it seems to be one of just a handful of monochrome cameras available alongside the Monochrom models from Leica.

I mean, they all are out of my price range, but I just think they are neat.

I've no idea what might make the Leica special, but my Nikon D750s have a monochrome mode, if I want to see the result on the back of the camera. I can customize the monochrome settings in-camera, including color filtering. I assume most or all DSLRs have this capability? Or, in Lightroom (presumably ACR in PS, too), there are lots of B&W presets. Guess I'm seeing the appeal of a monochrome digital camera -- sometimes, color is good.

Here's a primer on what makes the Monochrom sensor different: https://www.dpreview.com/articles/2062427975/why-leica-s-m10-monochrom-is-more-than-just-a-gimmick

I wish I could afford one.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/18/24 3:38 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Tangentially related:  Anybody still shooting old Polaroid instant cameras?  I see that the last Polaroid film factory in the Netherlands is still making film, and is being sold under the Polaroid name.  I may order some from Bezos today and blow the dust off my 80's vintage One Step.  If I can find it.  It's in a box around here somewhere.  Probably haven't laid eyes on it in ten years.  Wonder if it still works?

A good friend shoots old Polaroids. I have a 660, I believe, as well as an earlier one. I haven’t used either one, though. 

procainestart
procainestart SuperDork
7/18/24 5:24 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Interesting -- thanks for the link. TIL about Bayer sensors and anti-aliasing.

Meanwhile, TI(also)L that there are companies that will convert an existing sensor for quite a bit less than the cost of the Leica - http://www.maxmax.com/

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yyfsgW6HUKcOLZoSuj7nLWunByexlaNvraW9mMoheWYi8qQMXOpPFJdY8mn01RBF