Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
1/20/09 8:09 p.m.

is it just me or does this seem like an awards show?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/20/09 8:25 p.m.

Yup. And I just KNEW Beyonce wouldn't miss the chance to make a mess of "At Last". Again.

Woody
Woody Dork
1/20/09 8:40 p.m.

Oh, was that whole thing today? There wasn't any mention of it on TV...

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
1/20/09 9:09 p.m.

It saddens me you couldn't find anything better to watch. Dirty Jobs was on.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
1/20/09 9:12 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: Prez ball on tv right now

You'd think the Secret Service would be with it enough to tell him to zip up his fly.

ZING!

Thanks folks. I'm here all week. Tip the veal.

jg

pete240z
pete240z HalfDork
1/20/09 9:16 p.m.

I get hooked on all this, but at this point i want everyone to go home and get BACK to work tomorrow morning.

I think all these politicians do very little work. Either party. GET BACK TO WORK.

Luke
Luke Dork
1/20/09 9:26 p.m.

'Prez Ball'. Sounds like a game show.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
1/20/09 9:31 p.m.

Pretty good TV. I'm gonna watch West Wing now.......

JG Pasterjak
1/20/09 9:40 p.m.
pete240z wrote: I get hooked on all this, but at this point i want everyone to go home and get BACK to work tomorrow morning. I think all these politicians do very little work. Either party. GET BACK TO WORK.

We discussed the same thing at lunch today. I mean, is it okay for the President to stand up and say "My fellow Americans: Hey, just go ahead and take that $150,000,000 we were spending on this thing and set up a bunch of schools and job training centers with awesome people and equipment who can recruit more awesome people to build awesome equipment that someone will buy and so on.

I'm just going to grab Biden and a couple of the other guys and we're just going to go to Chili's for some boneless hot wings and 2 for 1 frozen Margaritas before 3pm. But don't worry, America, as I will not get so E36 M3faced that I won't be able to see my way to the true light that guides this nation. Plus Rahm said he'd drive.

Anyway, I have to punch in by, like, 4pm or some ass time like that, which is right at the beginning of the dinner rush. George said he would train me, but he pretty much just showed me where the hide-a-key was stashed, and where his daughters used to hide all their weed. Then he told me that if I didn't mow twice a week in the Spring the neighbors would start leaving nasty notes on the front door and threatening to call the HOA board, who apparently holds jurisdiction over this office. I told him we were certainly more militarily capable, and he just looked down and shook his head. Then he showed me photos of squadrons and squadrons of Comanche helicopters shooting an improperly painted mailbox with Hellfires and repeated blasts from the 50mm cannon.

Whoa. My buzzer just went off. Looks like they got us a table. Thanks. See ya later... well, maybe not because I'll be WORKING. Really F-ing hard, by the way. But, whatever. Okay so America, and liberty, and the thing with stars shine like the beagle of freedom or something, and God Bless... God Bless... God Bless these friggin fajitas! These thigs are awesome¡ Caliente!

jg

Spitsix
Spitsix New Reader
1/20/09 9:41 p.m.

Somebody at work was complaining about all the money being spent untill someone else pointed out that a good chunk of the money was going to American companies and American people. As long as the donated money was not to gain influance, I can think of a lot worse ways to spend money. I am very proud and hopefull right now. Scott

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/20/09 9:50 p.m.

From what I understand, it's not taxpayer dough. Various organizations raise money and pay for the balls themselves. I'm sure they're trying to curry favor, but they were going to do that anyways, and at least we're not stuck with the bill for the ball.

And if I were to ever become president, I would make sure AC/DC was there to play "Big Balls". I've already sworn I'd have the Rev. Horton Heat and Brian Setzer Orchestra, so my entertainment lineup is filling out nicely.

JG Pasterjak
1/20/09 10:18 p.m.

My inaugural ball: STarts at the first half of the Jags/Cowboys Superbowl. First half goes well. Jags go into the locker room up by 2. Halftime entertainment features dozens of fighting robots, controlled by various picks for cabinet positions. If youre bot lives, good for you. If not...

The second half is back to mare football. After the third quarter I make a proclamation that for the humiliation heaped upon the league by the Cowboys these many years, the team is to be permenently shut down and its facilities destroyed.

UNLESS: Terrell Owens can be caught and restrained loaded into a jumspsuit and dropped somewhere where they are fanatical about another sport as we are about football like where that cover them with food and throw them in s a pit of angry midgets

Wally
Wally SuperDork
1/21/09 2:23 a.m.

I don't have a problem with the gov't taking the day off. I seems almost everyone here skipped work to "witness history", which looked quite a bit like meeting in a bar, watching tv and getting drunk.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
1/21/09 8:13 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: It saddens me you couldn't find anything better to watch. Dirty Jobs was on.

OTA TV only. :(

I'm a cheap bastard

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair Dork
1/21/09 8:14 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: I'm just going to grab Biden and a couple of the other guys and we're just going to go to Chili's for some boneless hot wings and 2 for 1 frozen Margaritas before 3pm.

why's it gotta be wings, you berkeleying racist?

i keed, i keed. that's a joke. perhaps in poor taste, but a joke nonetheless.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
1/21/09 9:52 a.m.

heh...

aircooled
aircooled Dork
1/21/09 10:08 a.m.

Some balls are held for charity

And some for fancy dress

But when they're held for pleasure

They're the balls that I like best

My balls are always bouncing

To the left and to the right

It's my belief that my big balls

Should be held every night

Fritz_the_Cat
Fritz_the_Cat New Reader
1/21/09 1:53 p.m.

Maybe it's just my jaded nature, and my exhaustion with most of what the mainstream TV networks pass off as "news" and "entertainment". But over the last few months, and now certainly with the overblown coverage of every single aspect of the coronation... oop, sorry, inauguration ceremonies, I've been trying to figure out why "news" shows are covering red carpet ceremonies and interviewing the "stars" about their political views. And conversely, on the rare occasion where I watch an "entertainment" show, I wonder why the hell I've been seeing coverage of the Obama family, Sarah Palin, and the like.

It seems now that there's a very fuzzy line between politics and show biz.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
1/21/09 2:47 p.m.
As long as the donated money was not to gain influance

HOOOHOHOHOHOHOOOHOHO!!! Ohhh man, that's funny. I wish I could find the video of the "special viewing area for lobbyists" I saw on the news last night. You know, the same lobbyists whose influence our new pres. (just like all the politicians; D's or R's) is going to "keep out of Washington." Perhaps the article below will do. FWIW, Biden, Reid, and others had their own lobbyist-funded inauguration parties too:

http://news.aol.com/article/the-influence-game-lobbyists-work/311598?cid=39

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
1/21/09 2:52 p.m.

PS: Someone please take the 2 for 1 pitchers of margaritas away from J.G. before I soil myself.

mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
1/21/09 4:08 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:
Grtechguy wrote: Prez ball on tv right now
You'd think the Secret Service would be with it enough to tell him to zip up his fly. ZING! Thanks folks. I'm here all week. Tip the veal. jg

Fox News mentioned on the crawler that Eisenhower was the last President to have only one ball.

I figured it must have happened during the war, or when he played football for West Point (rimshot)...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0L0GQTGqdeH0llzwX8u5vbAhLnQHrAxdDnKW7PhFtzoZmmBeeJ6OJUEbdDaNKSh6