hobiercr
hobiercr UberDork
9/14/24 10:14 p.m.

I watched this after reading a pretty glowing review. It said it was like the original Rambo, just better. Now, I never saw the original Rambo, so I can't 100% comment, but this was pretty damn good.

So, many, layers. So, much, detail.

I just might have to watch that again.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/15/24 1:35 a.m.

You also might want to watch Rambo.  It's a VERY different movie than the sequels.

I will have to take a look at Rebel Ridge, I did like Rambo (the sequels of course are total crap).

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/15/24 7:03 a.m.
aircooled said:

You also might want to watch Rambo.  It's a VERY different movie than the sequels.

Just don't expect any Academy Award winning acting...after all, it is Sylvester Stallone.  cheeky

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/15/24 9:40 a.m.

First Blood is an excellent movie and very different from the sequels where he becomes an indescructable killing machine. It's about a vet with PTSD who runs into a bunch of corrupt small town cops.

We watched Rebel Ridge last night, and while it's similar in overall plot, it's very different in execution, and really well done. It's quite realistic for the most part, character decisions make sense, and the action is well done. Our protagonist is clearly a badass, but not to an unrealistic degree. It's not as much of a pure action movie as you might think, which I think was good.

Best Netflix original I've seen in quite a long time. Usually they get a couple of big stars, send them to some foreign country to do espionage or a heist, have them say funny quips, throw CGI at it, and mix. We watched one of those last week (The Union) and it was... fine I guess. Rebel Ridge was much better.

hobiercr
hobiercr UberDork
9/15/24 4:06 p.m.

I loved how tight the dialog was and seemingly throwaway bits came back to be relevant. Also, the Chinese restaurant scene, from the beginning. Great camera work in tight quarters with seemingly unimportant details. 

Great car choices, too. Classic Volvo wagon, a Subie beater, and an F350 dually used to its full potential. I wish I could get $26K for mine!

If you like Reacher, etc. go and watch this. Don't read about it or watch the trailer. Go in blind. It's way more fun.

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
9/15/24 5:13 p.m.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
9/16/24 1:15 p.m.

I found it much more entertaining than any netflix original I've watched in a while. I went in blind as it just showed up on my netflix as new and the preview looked entertaining. 

I also just started "The Old Man" on Hulu and find it very entertaining, despite some of it's stretches in the plot. 

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS HalfDork
9/16/24 4:20 p.m.

i watched it over the weekend and patiently waited for it to devolve into typical popcorn affair and while it never did, I was constantly watching in suspense.  

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/16/24 5:04 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

I found it much more entertaining than any netflix original I've watched in a while. I went in blind as it just showed up on my netflix as new and the preview looked entertaining. 

I also just started "The Old Man" on Hulu and find it very entertaining, despite some of it's stretches in the plot. 

I'll have to check out Rebel Ridge. I'd have never watched without the recommendation, because of negative connotations to the name. 

The Old Man has two great actors and is quite well made. All such shows require certain amounts of suspension of disbelief for them to work, but the first fight scene is ridiculous: The CIA sends a single person to bring him in? Seriously? When would they do such a thing, given that they had plenty of time to plan it? 

jharry3
jharry3 Dork
9/16/24 5:31 p.m.

It is very good.     That actor seemed to be channeling Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction.   

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) UberDork
9/16/24 8:06 p.m.

First Blood was filmed in my backyard. Hope is still famous as a result. The helicoptor was hijacked soon after the movie shoot and landed in the local maximum security prison to rescue two cons in a hail of bullets. The pilot flew them with a gun to his head to safety but cleverly landed them on an island because they were...well, cons, and kind of dumb.... and they were stuck until rescued by the cops. 

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) UberDork
9/17/24 1:09 a.m.

Since it was suggested I went and looked it up and watch it tonight. It is pretty darn good. Didn't really understand the last 10 minutes though.

calteg
calteg UltraDork
9/17/24 8:10 a.m.

It was shockingly good. Still unsure on the "non lethal" angle throughout. 

I get that he was a martial arts guy, and maybe there's a strict morality play here, but I think after the cop shot me, I'd be all-in on using the dozens of firearms laying around.

llysgennad
llysgennad HalfDork
9/17/24 2:20 p.m.

We watched it last week, it was OK I guess. Fun to see DJ as a bad cop. It was more realistic than most movies I've seen lately, but still predictable and a little too long. IMO

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 HalfDork
9/17/24 2:26 p.m.

you notice in that movie he doesn't fire a gun at anybody, just a few less lethal grenades.  but he doesn't fire a gun ever

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS HalfDork
9/17/24 4:22 p.m.
camopaint0707 said:

you notice in that movie he doesn't fire a gun at anybody, just a few less lethal grenades.  but he doesn't fire a gun ever

what about the beanbag shotgun scene?

maybe better to say he never fires a bullet ;)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PsapBa2HssPyNvEcbiabkRQPktDrwz9pLoJ2x0u58YsG76enhstlHNgd5njcl8jJ